Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-14-2007, 02:53 AM   #1
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Pre Purchase Question

I am considering purchasing an iLiad. I have been reading the forums, but have a few remaining questions:

1) Does the search function search actual CONTENT, or just title/author type fields. i.e. if I upload PDF files, can I search these files for content within them? Can I limit the search to a single file? Can I search an entire folder?

2) What is the actual battery life? (assuming not running WiFi)

3) I am assuming one needs some sort of external light to read (device does not have a backlight and is not readable in the dark).

4) Is the iLiad currently advertised on the website the new "2007" model? If not, when would it be expected/how long should I post pone my purchase?

5) Is this new "2007" model heavier and thicker than the pictures and videos I have seen, due to the new increased-capacaity battery?

6) Is it true you still can't read HTML and text files? The manual and website seems to refer to them, but the forum talk seems to say new readers are needed.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

I don't own a device but I follow these forums a bit and I'd like to take a shot to awnser your questions. If I say something stupid, I'm sure there's going to be someone correcting me

1) no search function yet, at least not content like. It'll be here soon. (I don't think I can say something wrong when I awnser it's going to be available 'soon' )

2) depends on how much you use the pen. I've heard numbers ranging from 7 to 14

3) you need as much light to read on the iliad as you would need for reading a book.

4) No it's not the new model. I don't think the release date has been officially announced yet but rumors have been that you can get one starting from july.

5) No idea, they just said 'some cosmetic changes'

6) HTML and text files are certainly supported on the iliad. The new readers are just to make life more easier. Some readers allow more things on iliad like opening word files.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
4) some irex guy told me June - but who knows ... I´m still waiting
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
xyzzy
xyzzy began at the beginning.

Device: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack
4) some irex guy told me June - but who knows ... I´m still waiting
In real life speak "June" could easily mean September.

[I do love my iLiad by the way, so I recommend getting one--battery life shortness nonwithstanding]
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
ig88
Gadget Guy

Followup Question

I have read in the forums that while the iLiad supports SD cards, they are limited to 1 GB. (I mention SD because I already have a bunch of SD cards for my Treo).

Is that true? With cards easily affordable in the 8GB range, and this thing being based on LINUX, it seems a silly limitation.

Are there limits to the other card formats? MMC/CF
Advert
Old 04-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Check the wiki memorycard list here. CF cards seem best for capacity, with some 8 GB cards reported to be working. All others have a 1 GB maximum.

In a iReX Forum thread here there is a report that a "SD/MMC to CF"-adaptor allows (or might allow) higher capacity SD cards to work.

Last edited by wallcraft; 04-14-2007 at 11:58 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
ig88
Gadget Guy

(No) Search?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
1) no search function yet, at least not content like.
I think this represents the strange dichotomy of this device, and the nature of the "love it" "hate it" posts that frequent these forums.

From what I gather, it is not meant to be just a reader, like the Sony.

It is being marketed as a B2B product, a tool for researchers and students.

And it has no search capability?

It just seems so strange, and it seems like it would be something quite easy to implement, what with the LINUX base and availability of search technology.

I would have thought that search would have been one of the first features out the door.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, from a B2B perspective, they expect that the B's they're selling to will provide further functionality. Take a look at eFlyBook and 4DConcept for instance.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #9
ebooklvr
iLiad newbie
ebooklvr began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Zaurus SL-5500
Thumbs up 4Gig SD card worked with USB drive adaptor

I just received my iLiad yesterday and love it!!!! In fact I'm going to need a coffee soon cause I stayed up way too late reading.

I had a spare Sandisk 4Gig SD card kicking around so I tried plugging it directly into the iLiad. As expected it didn't recognize the card. It did work when I used the card in a USB drive adaptor and plugged it into the iLiad's USB port. Not quite as convenient but it works for me.
ebooklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Arg - I want one, too ...

damned money *grumbel*

Last edited by joblack; 04-18-2007 at 06:53 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote