Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What would you do with $1 million a month?

This was a topic on another forum I visit....

Some ex-wife of some rich sports guy wants a million per month to live on. What would you do with that kind of money?

I'd first pay off my bills, maybe buy a house in the country. Take care of my family and then start working on things like world hunger, disease and education.

What would you do?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Hoard it.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Divorce the rich sports star I'm married to.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I'd actually only spend the first million or so, at least at first. I'd pay my debts, buy a house and a car, food and drink, clothes, etc... all of moderate grade; I hate extravagant spending. The rest I'd probably store in multiple redundant local and international bank accounts as a measure of safety. I'd buy some gold and silver as portable wealth, too. Once I was sure I could hold onto my financial situation, I'd start buying more expensive things. Probably a small plane so I would never have to go through airport regulations.

I'd also set up an elite school which taught free of tuition to students who had shown great ability and potential in accordance to my educational ideas. I always wanted to do that... I guess I'd be the principal.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Personally - buy an island, make it as self-sufficient as possible. Build a house on it with a huge library. Actually finish my TBR list before I die.
Spoil my cats truly rotten.

Globally - fund neuter/spay clinics, animal shelters, etc.
fund organizations preserving extinct species
\ errr, make that soon-to-be extinct species
fund alternative non-petroleum energy R&D

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 04-12-2010 at 12:07 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Personally - buy an island, make it as self-sufficient as possible. Build a house on it with a huge library. Actually finish my TBR list before I die.
Spoil my cats truly rotten.

Globally - fund neuter/spay clinics, animal shelters, etc.
fund organizations preserving extinct species
fund alternative non-petroleum energy R&D

Did I read this wrong? or do you want to fund an organization that preserves the extinct-ness of long-gone species? I'm sure it's a noble cause in any case, poohbear.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Buy all the cheese.

(Long time California residents may get the reference)

Last edited by Dylrob; 04-12-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Did I read this wrong? or do you want to fund an organization that preserves the extinct-ness of long-gone species? I'm sure it's a noble cause in any case, poohbear.
OK, sigh, I was typing fast during a lull in my morning madness at work!
No, I don't want to fund a group that will fill my living room with stuffed & mounted dodos. Interesting mental picture though!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
donate it;

starting with GOS, Alder Hey, then research into cancer/kidney disease/deafness etc....when that list was finished, start back at square one.....BUT the proviso is that there needs to be a clear use for the money and is not wasted/hoarded/hijacked by individuals/corporations etc... ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'd quite like to try living on a cruise ship. Not sure what a million-a-month would buy on The World.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What would you do?
First arrange that I get the income, and then I'll let you know what I decide to do with it...

Usual sorts of things - a bit of splashing out on some consumer goods to start with - new car (or two), bicycles, computers, eReaders. Putting some aside to give my children a nest egg. Improvements to the house. Buying a sea-side cottage.

But with $1,000,000 every month, it'll quickly start to accumulate. So I'd probably end up giving lots to charities that appeal to me - disease and children's charities mostly. Especially ones trying to solve problems in a long-term way.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Is that before or after taxes

Let's see, pay off all our bills!
Pay off all our families bills as well.
Give our house to someone.
Have a new house built somewhere, my wife likes Virginia right between the mountains and the ocean. With horses!!
Make sure we'll have a continuous income.
Set up the kids college funds.
Travel..... lots and lots of travel.

In the second month we would ...
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
That's an awkward amount-- far too much for personal lifestyle, far, far too little for bigger projects. I'd have to save for decades just to afford one dinky little interplanetary probe!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
1. Donate half to libraries, universities, and museums.

2. Give some money to Kovid Goyal and other developers.

3. Buy all the books at Amazon, B&N, etc.

4. Hire someone to organize my collection and to read to me.

5. Get a job at the Salvation Army. (Why? Less stress, and first dibs at the bargains).

6. Travel the world to see all the places I've only seen in books.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Wait, I'm changing my answer........

I'd build one of these, make it as self sustaining as I could, invite a few friends and family over once in a while....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Project
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote