Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #31
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReader View Post
But you also own a slew of other readers I have considered, particularly the Aura HD. I will giving readers to family members as birthday presents, should I strongly consider the Aura HD, given that I probably will be unable to secure T3 or even a T2?
the reason i have all these different models is that something better keeps coming out, or i am in need of different features. my first was the sony prs-500. then i got the 950 for use with pdf files. then the kindle paperwhite because i wanted to read the free amazon books on e-ink as opposed to a computer screen or a lcd backlit tablet. then the kobo aura hd because of the front-light for epubs. then the larger onyx boox because of better pdf handling than the prs-950. i primarily switch between the kindle, the aura hd, and the onyx boox depending on what i am reading. but if the 13.3" sony ever lands and is capable of both pdf and epubs, i will most likely hand off most of my readers to others.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #32
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Stupid misleading thread title.
Sony is pulling back from many US electronics /computer market segments because they feel their products are not competitive. I can not abandon buying Sony readers that are not available for sale. Sony new T2 has maybe slight improvements over T1 and T3 has maybe slight improvements over T2. This reminds me of US made cars from 1955 to 1970 when Toyota came in and gained large market share. Sony once sold great 5" readers that are now failing due to age but no replacement reader from Sony is available. Sony has also abandoned popular firmware features once only available with old Sony readers. Sony has stopped innovating to lead or even maintain their reader market share. Their only innovation is style, or color changes and better ways to stop owners of their readers installing android apps.

My Sony T1 is a good reliable reader with features I like and I would probably buy a replacement Sony reader when my T1 dies but that might be like trying to buy replacement 5" Sony reader.

I suspect Sony has slow cumbersome management problem that results in high overhead costs.

Last edited by filmo; 10-04-2013 at 07:07 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #33
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
350 - almost the best thing Sony ever made ?

Just a personal opinion, and I've tried most of 'em, and still going......
But the size is the clincher - along with the superb build quality.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #34
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
The 350 is sweet. It's the backup for my T1, but fits much better in my back pocket. I'm considering going back to pbooks/the library entirely, at least for a while.

Maybe a Christmas gift to myself in the form of a Kobo Aura HD.

Last edited by FacebookVirus; 10-03-2013 at 10:47 PM.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #35
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe abandoning Sony isn't a bad idea after all. When I'm in the market for a new book, I see no reason to patronize the Sony reader store as I have many times in the past.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Stupid misleading thread title.
Sony is pulling back from many US electronics /computer market segments because they feel their products are not competitive. I can not abandon buying Sony readers that are not available for sale.
No, the thread is properly titled.

1) Sony readers can still be purchased. It appears only the T2 red is out of stock.
2) Sony has a reader book store where books can still be licenced.

Question is, should all future purchases be done outside of Sony?
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #37
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I've started making my ebook purchases from Kobo rather than the Sony store lately. I used to buy from Books on Board, and the above T3 news doesn't fill me with confidence that Sony plans to stick with the US ebook market.

Really would like to avoid having yet another bookstore disappear into the ether with my epubs. Yeah, I back-up my data redundantly, but I still like having the option of a fresh download out there if I need it.

OTOH, I love their hardware, and grabbed up one of the red T2s when the price dropped. I'll hang onto my 300 and 350 until they give out on me too.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #38
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am sorry to hear that Sony is not going to sell the T3 in the US. I have not used a Sony e-reader but competition is important to keep other e-reader manufacturers honest. More importantly, Sony has some of the most loyal customers that I have seen. Many folks on this site have stood up and explained why you love your Sony's and why you don't want anything else. You helped other folks make informed decisions.

It is a shame that Sony seems to be leaving the US behind. I suspect that it is not about overhead or cost but that they have not sold enough e-readers in the US to make it worth their while. Hopefully you find other e-readers or battery replacements for your current Sony's that give you as much joy as your Sonys do.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #39
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am sorry to hear that Sony is not going to sell the T3 in the US. I have not used a Sony e-reader but competition is important to keep other e-reader manufacturers honest. More importantly, Sony has some of the most loyal customers that I have seen. Many folks on this site have stood up and explained why you love your Sony's and why you don't want anything else. You helped other folks make informed decisions.

It is a shame that Sony seems to be leaving the US behind. I suspect that it is not about overhead or cost but that they have not sold enough e-readers in the US to make it worth their while. Hopefully you find other e-readers or battery replacements for your current Sony's that give you as much joy as your Sonys do.
Sony have never put much effort in getting their Reader out there for people to find in the marketplace. Not nearly enough advertising and no B&M retail presence to speak of.

Sony had a good head start on most of the other brands but decided to be a wallflower and sit in the corner while Kindle and the others got up and boisterously danced all around the room. Now they're wearing last year's ball gown, putting on a wilted corsage in a half-hearted attempt to dress up, yet not even bothering to show up at the prom in the US where we Sony suitors were anxiously waiting to sign their dance card.

You're right about Sony loyalty. I'm on my 4th Sony Reader and was hoping for a new incarnation this year, but feel kind of jilted now. There was just sooo much they could have done to make their product the belle of the ball, but instead meekly stepped aside and tip-toed out of town.

We haven't abandoned Sony. They have abandoned us.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #40
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
We haven't abandoned Sony. They have abandoned us.
Truer words have never been spoken. Or in this case typed.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #41
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
...It is a shame that Sony seems to be leaving the US behind. I suspect that it is not about overhead or cost but that they have not sold enough e-readers in the US to make it worth their while...
I think there is likely some truth in that.

I cannot comment with regards to their strategy regarding ereaders, but I do know that Sony currently regard the USA as a low priority market for cellular phones (and some other small devices too). I suspect they also see that most people will be reading ebooks on other more versatile and powerful integrated devices in the near future and that dedicated ereaders will become a niche market perhaps inappropriate for a big global electronics company to be in (are there any other big global electronics companies making readers - Phillips, Panasonic, etc? Can't recall any, off hand).

They are not the only ones that have placed USA with low priority with respect to electronic devices, as one other example the USA was a low priority market for Nokia for a number of years (predominantly because of the US's fascination with Apple).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #42
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
I must admit that one of the benefits of Sony abandoning the hardware business in the US is that I'm really starting to shop around for books. If I'm lazy and need a book nowwww, I might go the extra cost for a Sony licence and download instantly via WiFi/3G on the reader. However, most of my purchases have been through Google these days. Lot more searching via Luzme.

And for PDF reading on the largest screen, my company purchased for me a Kindle DX. Nice large screen, poor interface. It might be worth printing out the pages. Sigh.
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #43
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Of course US customers should abandon Sony. All customers should be abandoning Sony due to their latest ereader travesty. They're really pulling a BlackBerry.
Hysterics always help.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #44
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
I'd say it depends how close you live to the border or how friendly you are with Canadians. If you can make a weekend trip across the border to pick up a T3 and don't mind the lack of warranty support, sure, do so. If you have Canadian friends or relatives, impose upon their goodwill and get them to buy one and ship it. No worries. If those options aren't available to you, I'd say it's probably time to go with something else. A Kobo, I guess, though the thought makes me shudder, with all the firmware horror stories. Fortunately, I'm on the right side of the border and don't have to make this choice.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #45
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

When I go to the Sony ebooks site and click on the Reader tab at the top right, it directs to a general Sony hardware site. There I see all sorts of Sony hardware, but no readers.

So it isn't just that they're selling only the T-2 rather than the T-3 in the US. I'm in the US and they're not interested in selling me an ereader at all.

I'm not getting huffy about it - not worth it - I'm just moving on.

Tags
sony prs-t2, sony prs-t3