Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
how can I search for author name only?

I have a Kindle Touch (and just ordered a paperwhite which I'm excited about), and have a question on the search function:

Whenever I search for a book using the author name, all instances of that name comes up (for example, if his name is mentioned in a different book). This is annoying as often book by that author will frequently not be the first entry on the search list (or even the fourth or fifth). Is there a way to make the kindle only search in author names, rather than do a full text search?

Also, I just updated my software and now I can't figure out how to access my collections. Any advice appreciated.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is it not an awful lot easier simply to set the home page to author sort, and then go directly to the appropriate author?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If your collections are no longer on the Kindle, the fix is to de-register the Kindle, then re-register it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it not an awful lot easier simply to set the home page to author sort, and then go directly to the appropriate author?
Yes, that's quite possible! Thought searching might be easier than scrolling through when list of books get longish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
If your collections are no longer on the Kindle, the fix is to de-register the Kindle, then re-register it.
Great, thanks!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Yes, that's quite possible! Thought searching might be easier than scrolling through when list of books get longish.
Just tap the page indicator at the bottom of the home page, and type the first few letters of the author's name. You'll jump directly to that author.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
Just tap the page indicator at the bottom of the home page, and type the first few letters of the author's name. You'll jump directly to that author.
Thanks, I didn't know about that! However, I only get to search for page number or titles that way, not author. Is that a difference in software?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Thanks, I didn't know about that! However, I only get to search for page number or titles that way, not author. Is that a difference in software?
No, it's because you're not in author sort mode. Jumping directly to a point in the list alphabetically only works in "Author" and "Title" sort modes. In author sort, it jumps to an author; in title sort, it jumps to a title. (Which is sensible, if you think about it.)
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
No, it's because you're not in author sort mode. Jumping directly to a point in the list alphabetically only works in "Author" and "Title" sort modes. In author sort, it jumps to an author; in title sort, it jumps to a title. (Which is sensible, if you think about it.)
Ah, I see. Great, thanks so much, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You're very welcome. I use this feature all the time - it's extremely useful.