Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #196
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Yeah, according to most of the reviews I have read the SIII 8MP camera is only slightly better or equal to the iPhone 5 8MP camera, depending on which review that you go by. It has to be really poor in that case, huh?
WRONG!

http://www.symbiantweet.com/nokia-lu...ne-5-htc-one-x
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #197
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Only the cable and the plug that goes into the phone are different. The charger is the very same one I got with my iPhone 3G. So he could have just used a USB wall wart with his iPhone 5 just fine. I've used a Sony USB charger and it was just fine. I've even charged an iPhone 3G via the computer's USB.

I think that kid just had no clue what it was he needed. He probably tried to buy a USB wall wart that comes with an iPhone 5 cable when all he needed was the wall wart even if it came with the previous cable. So he's telling Apple what he needs and they are telling him they don't have it when he could have gone to an Apple store and gotten the wall wart replaced no bother.
I can't say what the knowledge problem really was. I do know that he works in IT so I thought it must be some serious problem. His mom an Apple geek wasn't much help in explaining the problem. I finally caught her and out of curiosity asked about it
That said, it only made sense if the phone connector port itself was different. Then I would understand.

Otherwise I agree that there are a lot of useful connectors, power supplies, chargers, cables out there that you can mix and use instead of the device specified ones. I have a cardboard box full of them. --- Just in case.

I also keep all my old chargers from phones and everything else in case a charger goes out. Just match the voltage, the load of the charger and the device, cut the cable, hook up the connector for the phone, and you are sitting pretty.

I still remember a bit from when I was a youngster and could handle a wire stripper, a desoldering iron, and even climb a pole in the rain or snow. Brings on a song: "Oh those days my friend, ..."
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #198
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:

That did not prove you correct, so WRONG AGAIN.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #199
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iPhone 5 already upstaged by a lowly rival

Quote from InformationWeek Mobilty

Quote:
The HTC J Butterfly is perhaps the Taiwanese company's most gorgeous smartphone yet. The new device, announced Wednesday, has a display that measures 5 inches across the diagonal and packs an eye-popping 1920 x 1080 pixels, making it a full HD display with 440 pixels per inch.

This puts the J on an entirely new playing field with respect to competing devices. Apple's iPhone 5, for example, has a 4-inch display with 1136 x 640 pixels. That equates to 326 pixels per inch. Apple calls this high-density screen a Retina Display, which it uses for its marketing materials. There's no doubt the Retina Displays look great. But the J beats it. By a lot.

The J also beats Samsung's Galaxy Note II by a wide margin. The Note II's 5.5-inch display has 1280 x 720 pixels, giving it a pixel density of just 267 pixels per inch.
LINK
Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #200
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
HTC should call their eye-popping 440 ppi a Cornea Display
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #201
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That did not prove you correct, so WRONG AGAIN.
That does indeed prove that the SIII's camera is not all that good. You've failed to say otherwise. Your turn to prove otherwise. I already have proven my point.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #202
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
That does indeed prove that the SIII's camera is not all that good. You've failed to say otherwise. Your turn to prove otherwise. I already have proven my point.a
IF YOU think so it must be true in your own mind, but the horse is still dead according to a large majority of reviewers. Probably the person that you were trying to mislead has already taken action by now anyway.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #203
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Excellent news about the HTC J Butterfly, Dave (though I'd like to see HTC call the phone that in an American market -- we'd probably think the name promoted stereotypes, yet the country after which the phone was named does not!).

Link to PC Magazine article about the HTC J Butterfly

Engadget article about the J Butterfly

That phablet (I hate that word) is going to be good for Verizon. I hope it will available to other carriers in the States soon after the initial launch.

This was great news:

Quote:
CDMA/GSM/UMTS/GPRS radios -- that's right, it's a global device.
Now if the two of you could stop slapping each other, this could go back to being a polite and useful thread.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-17-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #204
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Quote from InformationWeek Mobilty

----The HTC J Butterfly is perhaps the Taiwanese company's most gorgeous smartphone yet. The new device, announced Wednesday, has a display that measures 5 inches across the diagonal and packs an eye-popping 1920 x 1080 pixels, making it a full HD display with 440 pixels per inch.---

[/URL]
You dudes are (pardon me) getting ridiculous. 1920x1080 would be nice on a 26" monitor.

I will take a plain old vanilla Note without the cell part, and even a slight degrade in specs (ie don't need that powerhouse cpu) for $200 right now. I got the bucks. When Amazon and Samsung get together and offer that, I will put a "buy" on it.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #205
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
You dudes are (pardon me) getting ridiculous. 1920x1080 would be nice on a 26" monitor.

I will take a plain old vanilla Note without the cell part, and even a slight degrade in specs (ie don't need that powerhouse cpu) for $200 right now. I got the bucks. When Amazon and Samsung get together and offer that, I will put a "buy" on it.
I agree, it's becoming a macho fight "my .... is bigger than yours". The current screens at 300ish are plenty good. You have to get a 20-odd inch monitor to get the resolution of this HTC device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #206
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
On a 26" monitor, 1920x1080 is just too low a resolution. HDTV has ruined laptops and computer monitors. I have a 19" monitor that has 1600x1200 resolution. Much better then 1920x1080. We need more than 1080 lines more then we need to go from 1600 to 1920. Sure you can say we have more pixels on screen, but they are the wrong more pixels.

We should have at least 1920x1200 and even then we should have more. And Why is it that laptops with a panel of 1920x1080 costs more then a tablet with higher resolution?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #207
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I agree, it's becoming a macho fight "my .... is bigger than yours". The current screens at 300ish are plenty good. You have to get a 20-odd inch monitor to get the resolution of this HTC device.
My 15" laptop is 2880 by 1800. More is better.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #208
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
My 15" laptop is 2880 by 1800. More is better.
If it's an Apple laptop, then it doesn't actually count because a retna display does not actually use the extra pixels for more on screen. My 1600x1200 monitor on my Windows computer uses the pixels as pixels. It does not use it as an 800x600 display with pixel doubling.

For example, a New iPad get no more content on screen then an iPad.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #209
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
For example, a New iPad get no more content on screen then an iPad.
Rubbish.
The new iPad can be used to read a full page newspaper.
The old iPad cannot, the text is unreadable, you would have to zoom in to be able to read it.
I've actually used both.
The new iPad allows you to use smaller font sizes and keep readable text, while getting more text on screen.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #210
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Rubbish.
The new iPad can be used to read a full page newspaper.
The old iPad cannot, the text is unreadable.
I've actually used both.
A retna display will look better yes. But a retna display is just pixel doubling. It does not give you the use of all those extra pixels.