Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #346
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
There was a cellular download limit?!

Ah so code will be smaller compared to if they added separate resources but still larger than it was previous to the retina support due to the extra coding involved. I guess that's as good as reason for people to get the next larger memory sized iPad. :P
For apps, yes, there was a cap on the size they could be, which used to be 20MB. Any app over that size could not be downloaded over a cellular data connection, you would need to use wifi or sync via iTunes. This could present problems to developers with graphic heavy apps who could not go over this limit as they needed the app to be available for download over a cellular data connection.
Apple upped this limit to 50MB. This offers a bit more freedom, but some people only have a 50MB plan, so apps could whack that plan on the head quite easily,

Note that this limit was only for apps. If you're running an app then it can download us much as you can throw at it (ignoring the fact you could fill up your device)

Correct, app will be larger as there are potentially x2 the number of graphical assets. If we could draw all the images in code we would, but as said that would be a massive undertaking. If there was a nice way to convert vector / bitmap images to objective C code then it would simplify things, but that is a massive ask.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #347
foxfire
Enthusiast
foxfire began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire View Post
welcome to reading life
book lover
facebook
i love my library
once upon a time
not an open book
pressed for details
scout leader
highly decorated
deep thinker
inverted comma
night rider
word up
classic attack-80%
papillon
total recall
freeloader
instapaper
the twain award
juggernaut
afternoon rush hour
happy hour
prime time
better in bed
witching hour
graveyard shift
kill the commute
sleeping in
i eat books for lunch
playing hooky
lost in austin-60%
off the wall
all you can eat
magic kobo reader
lolz-ok I cheated for this one. I lol-ed a passage in The Haunted Bookstore!
fangtasia-not quite sure how I got this. I downloaded a preview of Dead Reckoning then read Pretty Little Liars. bWhen I finished that book, the award popped up!
dead reckoning-not sure how I got this. I was looking thru my awards and it was there!
total closer
just the highlights.
Since my kobo app seems to be functioning for tje time being, I have added a few more awards:
secret keeper
queen bee
breakfast of champions
twisted
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #348
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Talking

Quote:
Since my kobo app seems to be functioning for tje time being, I have added a few more awards:
secret keeper
queen bee
breakfast of champions
twisted
I started this thread for Kobo Touch Awards but it has grown popular for all the devices and apps.. So to save some disappointment, anyone posting a list of awards PLEASE also state what device/App the list you made applies to. Thanks!
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #349
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note: These awards are iOS only
Quote:
secret keeper
queen bee
breakfast of champions
twisted
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #350
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Note: These awards are iOS only
I see a few image files for other awards but they don't seem to be 'activated' yet.. I wonder when they will get around to it.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #351
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
I see a few image files for other awards but they don't seem to be 'activated' yet.. I wonder when they will get around to it.
You what? Where are these image files?
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #352
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I bet if you were to download and open the upgrade image, that you would find all the images....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #353
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I bet if you were to download and open the upgrade image, that you would find all the images....
Okay Does the upgrade image like an OS X package?
I guess this is fairly good evidence that other awards will be rolled out at some point...
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #354
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
I'm guessing you're not talking about iOS, as the current app (v.5.4.1) does not actually have any award images within the app. Well, not at initial install. We he have a generic image, the other images are downloaded from our servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
Okay Does the upgrade image like an OS X package?
I guess this is fairly good evidence that other awards will be rolled out at some point...
If you download the Kobo iOS app it's an .ipa file, this is basically just a zip file, so change the extension from .ipa to .zip, then double-click on it to expand it, and you can have a poke around if you like.

Note that you probably won't be able to view most of the images, well, certainly not in the Preview app. It's something to do with how they are packaged for iOS

Last edited by Sharkus; 04-10-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #355
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
I'm guessing you're not talking about iOS, as the current app (v.5.4.1) does not actually have any award images within the app. Well, not at initial install. We he have a generic image, the other images are downloaded from our servers.
Quite correct. I only have a Kobo Touch (as shown under my devices)
If you look in your ".kobo/images" directory for files starting "badge_trilogy_bw_" you'll see a list of badges that have images. Not all are being used on the KT from what I can see.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #356
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
If you download the Kobo iOS app it's an .ipa file, this is basically just a zip file, so change the extension from .ipa to .zip, then double-click on it to expand it, and you can have a poke around if you like.

Note that you probably won't be able to view most of the images, well, certainly not in the Preview app. It's something to do with how they are packaged for iOS
I admire your relaxed attitude, Sharkus. Not many companies would encourage their users to go poking around in an app's innards!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #357
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:

Makes you wonder how many other file 'formats' out there are actually just renamed zip files.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #358
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
I admire your relaxed attitude, Sharkus. Not many companies would encourage their users to go poking around in an app's innards!
It's just a file, and I'm sure that if you did a quick google it would be very easy to find out how to open up a .ipa file and have a look inside. As mentioned, there isn't much you can do with what you find inside anyway. The code itself isn't in any kind of usable form.
It's no different from right clicking on a Mac app file and selecting "Show Package Contents" and having a look around.

Obviously if someone tried to use anything found in the app, e.g.; reuse an image, then I'd presume copyright infringement would have taken place and then the legal types may get involved.

Quote:
Makes you wonder how many other file 'formats' out there are actually just renamed zip files.
ePub uses a zip container from what I recall.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #359
verano
verano began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Any news on new awards since Authorized Reader???
verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #360
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Nope — I wouldn't expect to see any new ones any time soon. But you never know...
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awards, reading life, touch