Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony rolls out Reader with luxurious Dooney & Bourke case

In a world of electronic gadgets, whether you have a laptop PC or a handheld, nothing impresses more than a discreet leather case. So if you think the Reader isn't already enough to get you lots of admiring looks, you might be interested in Sony's latest offering - the Sony Reader PRS-500U2DB. It's essentially the same device as the PRS-500U, only that it's wrapped up in a yummy designer leather case and that it requires you to pay an extra of US$150.

To make the package more affordable and worth paying for, let me share with you the following (totally unfounded, of course) rumors:
  • it's a Valentines promotion
  • it's a limited edition (no idea about the number, but better be quick if you want one)
  • it comes in a designer red gift box that includes the original case and the designer leather case
  • it has an extra cloth to store the Reader in its case
  • it may be coming with a credit for e-books from Sony's online store

Sure you may still argue it's an overpriced piece of leather, but remember, for heaven's sake, it's Dooney & Bourke! Feel free to share your opinion in the on-going discussion.

Thanks to vigilant tipster kacir for the news.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Only some of the finest leather in the world. The case alone is most likely worth the extra $150US even if there is no CONNECT store credit involved. If it was also available as an add-on. Sigh.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Probably will be eventually, at any rate. It doesn't presently show up on the Dooney & Bourke website.

BTW, if y'all don't hear from me for the next few days, don't worry: it's 'cause we're taking a bit of a trip over the long weekend (and connectivity will be uncertain), not because I've been sucked into an alternate dimension or anything exciting like that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Would much rather they open up BBeB & improve RTF!! Personally, I don't have a leather fetish.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
evil_bunny
Enthusiast
evil_bunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony T1, iPhone 5S, iPad 3rd Gen
at least it's not that horrible green colour.
evil_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Mohit25
Mohit25 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Is there a way to get this cover - I saw it at the store and it looked very nice but already have a reader. Is it too much to want a nice case for it - for heaven's sake when is Sony going to wake up ! Part of the reason the ipod was so successful was the entire eco-system of products (covers, transmitters, speakers) that Apple created around it.
Mohit25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
I'm still waiting for a case that will provide the kind of protection I get with my PDA cases, leather or otherwise. I'm surprised that Sony hasn't released a case with a reinforced screen cover. For my PDA cases, I usually turn to Vaja for very attractive and functional cases, but I don't know if they will get into the ebook case business. Perhaps I should write to them.
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Something like this, maybe, ojleblanc?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I've been hoping Vaja will make a case also. Of course it will probably be about $200.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
ojleblanc
Enthusiast

NatCh, thanks for the link. I have considered that case, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. From what I've read, the screen protection is not much different than that provided by the stock case, with the exception that you can prevent the cover from flopping open. Still waiting.... That Dooney and Bourke case is sweet(!). I just wish the cover were stiffer and it zipped closed.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
ojleblanc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I've been hoping Vaja will make a case also. Of course it will probably be about $200.
No kidding!
Old 04-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
O.S.F
O.S.F is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2/DX
I was in a Sony Style store this week to purchase the reader. The "regular" version was out of stock, so I ended up bought the D&B version. The actual price was $399 (I guess Valentine is over!), and the cover is really nice.

The added bonus was there is a coupon in the box for $25 credit at Connect (besides the $50 promotional) -- so it came down to $25 for a nice cover.

fyi just in case someone is considering purchasing.
O.S.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
ojleblanc
Enthusiast

Cool. Willing to post a pic or two?
Old 04-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.S.F
I was in a Sony Style store this week to purchase the reader. The "regular" version was out of stock, so I ended up bought the D&B version. The actual price was $399 (I guess Valentine is over!), and the cover is really nice.

The added bonus was there is a coupon in the box for $25 credit at Connect (besides the $50 promotional) -- so it came down to $25 for a nice cover.

fyi just in case someone is considering purchasing.
Congratulations. You got the great case for less than the regular leather case. What a great start!
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #15
freefall25
freefall25 doesn't litterfreefall25 doesn't litter

Device: prs 505
I saw that Sony is selling the case alone. I wonder how it attaches since it says it will work with both versions of the reader.
freefall25 is offline   Reply With Quote