Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
mc4nam
mc4nam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Gift for Wife. Never had an E-reader or an E-book of any kind. Help!

I have read about 10 different posts and still can't decide.

Narrowed it down to Kindle Touch or Nook Simple Touch.

Her Requirements:

1. Read Books
2. See # 1.

She will not do any pdf's.
She would like to get books from Library.
She would like to share with friends.
She is not the type to look for exotic old books so I am sure Amazon and B&N will be fine.

If anyone can point out the Major Pro's and Con's of using e-books from Amazon and B&N that would be very helpful to make a decision also.

That is about it. No web, No music, just books.

I speculate that it will come down to:

How simple the interface to use. flipping pages, dictionary, settings, etc.
How easy is to hold. "Disappear in your hand" as I have heard mentioned here.

Confirm for me one thing. With the Nook to get books from the Library, you have to connect to a PC, but with the Kindle you don't?

I am really tempted to buy both locally and have her play with both and decide. Good idea? Do both of these come with enough of an e-book downloaded in them to get them full experience? I don't want to have to register either one of them. I hate to take advantage of a local retailer, but I want what is best for my wife.

I am just trying to be a good husband and get the perfect one for my wife. in advance for any advice and/or suggestions.
mc4nam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I recommend the Kindle, because of the nice interface of the Kindle(s) and the great Amazon customer service. You can return a Kindle book if the formatting is bad or something, but no other ebook store lets you return for any reason.

I would personally recommend the Kindle Keyboard, with 3G, if you think your wife would like to be able to get books when she is away from wi-fi. I love being able to get a new book while waiting at the doctor's office, etc.

Edited to add: I don't really know about library books and the Nook. I do know that they have to be delivered via wi-fi on the Kindle, or downloaded to your computer, and copied to the Kindle (no delivery via 3G).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, mc4nam.

I would recommend the Kindle w/keyboard.

Whichever one you decide on tho, IF you order from Amazon, remember that you have 30 days to use, download, etc, to see if you like it. Going into a store and 'handling' a device for a few moments isn't enough.

If not.........you can return for refund or exchange just paying postage, about $5.

Amazon's Kindle support is not to be beat anywhere.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
The Nook Simple Touch is the most comfortable touch screen device to use, while the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle 4 are excellent non-touch devices.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
mc4nam

She will definitely want a touch screen. Shes used to it. touchscreen keyboard on her phone and the smaller size without the keyboard is a plus.

Is it correct with the Nook to get books from the Library, you have to connect to a PC, but with the Kindle you don't? Can you download library books via wifi with either one or both?

From reading everything so far on a bunch of reivews and here below are pros of the two devices. Accurate?

Kindle Touch Pro's:

Amazon support.
Return it even if it is broken by accident.
WiFi Library Books (Nook even with WiFi you have to connect it to PC)
3G option

Nook Simple Touch Pros:

Interface looks nicer and easier to organize your books
Feels Better in your hands.
SD card slot for expansion
No Ads at lower price

I can get Nook Simple Touch for $79 and Kindle Touch for $99

What to do?
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If your wife downloads a book by accident, or doesn't find it 'readable', ie', the formatting is off, she can return it within 7 days and get an immediate refund.

Does BN offer that?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Is it correct with the Nook to get books from the Library, you have to connect to a PC, but with the Kindle you don't? Can you download library books via wifi with either one or both?
I've only gotten a couple of Kindle books from the library but I've had to use my PC to download the book from the library website. Once you do that the library contacts Amazon, I sign into Amazon and at that point my book is transferred by WiFi to my Kindle. With my Nook you have to get the book from the library and load it onto Adobe Digital Editions. Then use the USB cord to transfer the book from Adobe Digital Editions to the Nook. So the PC gets used in both cases but the Kindle doesn't require the USB cord.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
mc4nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
I've only gotten a couple of Kindle books from the library but I've had to use my PC to download the book from the library website. Once you do that the library contacts Amazon, I sign into Amazon and at that point my book is transferred by WiFi to my Kindle. With my Nook you have to get the book from the library and load it onto Adobe Digital Editions. Then use the USB cord to transfer the book from Adobe Digital Editions to the Nook. So the PC gets used in both cases but the Kindle doesn't require the USB cord.
Simply not having to look for a cord to get a Library book may push me to the Kindle. Also, doesn't the Kindle have a Browser that works wifi only? Why can't you download the book straight to the Kindle if you can get to the Library website from the Kindle?

Here is what I think is going to happen if I show my wife both based on what I have read.

She is going to like the interface of the Nook better. She is real visual and will like seeing the book covers in a list versus just names. She will probably like the feel of the Nook Better. We do have a B&N 5 miles from the house and she is there quite a bit. She is a 3rd grade teacher

On the other hand, She is going to like the features of the Kindle better and the book sharing between amazon apps and the Kindle seems to be easier. Not having to plug it in to get a Library book will be important to her. The not liking a book before 7 days and being able to return is a big plus also. She also buys books from amazon.com often also.

Anymore input before I decide? I think if I buy her both to try, it may confuse her more than me. She will be happy with either one I think.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can download directly from the library to your Kindle Via WiFi. It is a nice feature.

She will probably be happy with either device. The Kindle Touch has a touchscreen keyboard, so that will work fine for her.

If you have a Target or a Best Buy take her there and let her try both devices. Comfort is important so if there is one that she prefers, go with that one.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
mc4nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You can download directly from the library to your Kindle Via WiFi. It is a nice feature.

She will probably be happy with either device. The Kindle Touch has a touchscreen keyboard, so that will work fine for her.

If you have a Target or a Best Buy take her there and let her try both devices. Comfort is important so if there is one that she prefers, go with that one.
Thanks for the info. She has tried the Kindle at a store and liked it. She has never tried the Nook. At this point, I think it would be best to just get her the Kindle. She has 0 reference of the Nook. She will not have to make the decision of better feeling and easier interface vs good feeling with good interface but better overall feature set.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
I have read about 10 different posts and still can't decide.

Narrowed it down to Kindle Touch or Nook Simple Touch.

Her Requirements:

1. Read Books
2. See # 1.

She will not do any pdf's.
She would like to get books from Library.
She would like to share with friends.
She is not the type to look for exotic old books so I am sure Amazon and B&N will be fine.
$79 basic Kindle or the Kindle Touch, I'll recommend the $79 Kindle if all she needs is #1 because it's just so light & small.

Quote:
If anyone can point out the Major Pro's and Con's of using e-books from Amazon and B&N that would be very helpful to make a decision also.
Personal preferences for the ergonomic aside(I find both Nook & Kindle comfortable to hold), Kindle has a more powerful backend. It also gives you 5GB of free online storage which you can use if you have documents or or your own DRM free books. All you need to do is send it to your kindle email address and it'll show up on your kindle through a wireless connection. With the Nook you need to connect it to a PC for anything you want to add to it except buying books from B&N.

Last edited by shinew; 12-02-2011 at 01:07 PM.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
mc4nam

Thanks for all the information! I went with Kindle Touch. Should I open box and make sure it powers on and works before I wrap it or do these things always work out of box? I would hate for her to open a Christmas present that doesn't work.

FYI, I bought it a local target for $99. Should I pay the extra $7 for the extra warranty that covers any accident or problem besides water damage or does amazon direct take care of this kind of stuff anyways? I guess it is kind of nice to be able to walk into target and replace it quickly.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon has been great with honoring the warranty even for weird happenings in the first year. There are even reports of Amazon providing new Kindles for out of warranty Kindles or offering a discounted price, like $60 to move from a K2 to a KT.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I bought the Sony T1 for my mom and it has a library app built in where you can download the library books via wifi. It has collections for organizing books and works well with calibre if you want to plug in. Otherwise you can do a lot without the computer as well. The firmware is a bit buggy for some at the moment. There is supposed to be a firmware update coming out soon. I have the previous version of the Sony and love it but wish it had the wifi of the T1. The T1 is now priced at $99 in the US.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote