Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
0.5.902 (0.6.0 beta) avaliable

EDIT: 0.5.902 has been removed from the Downloads page. A newer beta is not yet available.

A new beta is available. A number of issues from the previous one have been fixed.

Off the top of my head not yet worked on:
  • Links going to the proper place when clicked
  • Position in Preview is not retained

The zip code has been fixed to use UTF-8 for filenames within the archive. The way it is handled is correct per the EPUB spec and accented characters should work properly now.

Last edited by meme; 07-02-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Beta removed
Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Woot No more association with TXT files under Windows
Old 06-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
PCRE unicode properties back in by default. YAY!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Great! I just installed it and tried to turn off automatic cleaning of code. I'm glad to report that while I was working in code view, all seemed to work fine. I saved a test file, and the code of the saved file was exactly as I had typed it in code-view.

Then I switched to book view, and back to code view again. Alas, this switch tempered quite a lot with my code.

Screenshots attached. Steps for procedure:

1) Open Sigil and start new project. Turn off clean code
2) Paste some html code into Section0001.xhtml (screenshot 1.png)
3) Save file
4) Some minor changes appeared, most noticeably a blank line at the top of the document (screenshot 2.png)
5) Extract the saved code and compare it with the original - they were almost identical
6) Switch to book-view and back to code view (screenshot 3.png)
7) Notice the differences (highlighted in screenshot 4.png): all my instances of ndash and mdash had been converted to a "-" so it was impossible to see the difference. All my instances of rsquo had been replaced with an apostrophe (I always use lsquo and rsquo in quotations to make it easier to search and still be able to distinguish between end of quotation and apostrophes.

To me it seems that the switch from book-view to code-view ignores the setting of cleaning code. Is it supposed to behave in this manner, or is it a bug?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	291
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	88048   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	284
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	88049   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	297
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	88050   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	284
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	88051  
Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I hope you find time for the entity issue. Especially the soft hyphens are a bother to me. I had the same confusion as DiapDealer about it. Strange things is, in older version (0.3.4) it did work. Probably something strange and unfortunately my knowledge of C++ is too limited...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I hope you find time for the entity issue. Especially the soft hyphens are a bother to me. I had the same confusion as DiapDealer about it. Strange things is, in older version (0.3.4) it did work. Probably something strange and unfortunately my knowledge of C++ is too limited...
In the meanwhile, Toxaris... I've gotten into the habit of immediately searching (Regex mode) my source for occurrences of \x{AD} and replacing them with a blank/empty/"nothing in the replace field". Or you could just as easily replace them with the & shy; entity.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Just had this issue last night:

Turned off HTML Tidy, next thing I know all text after the <p> tags jumped down a line and indented to where the <p> was. I then checked the following html pages to see if the same thing happened to them... nope... instead all lines lost their (your) left hand spacing/indents. So in other words they were all right aligned.

I went back to the page I was working on, fixed up all the <p> tags by removing the extra line and the extra indents. Saved. Closed the epub, went back in to the page and it was back to the extra line and indents. Haven't attempted to fix the other pages with no indents. Figure I'll just have to go back to pre-beta, as that bug is just too annoying.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Just had this issue last night:

Turned off HTML Tidy, next thing I know all text after the <p> tags jumped down a line and indented to where the <p> was. I then checked the following html pages to see if the same thing happened to them... nope... instead all lines lost their (your) left hand spacing/indents. So in other words they were all right aligned.

I went back to the page I was working on, fixed up all the <p> tags by removing the extra line and the extra indents. Saved. Closed the epub, went back in to the page and it was back to the extra line and indents. Haven't attempted to fix the other pages with no indents. Figure I'll just have to go back to pre-beta, as that bug is just too annoying.
Instead of "Off" Select "Pretty print" in the "Clean Source" options.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
<p> tags jumped down a line and indented to where the <p> was.
This sounds exactly like the issue I had with it
Quote:
I went back to the page I was working on, fixed up all the <p> tags (...)
When you say "went back to page" you mean switched to book-view, right? If you stay in code-view this doesn't happen. It happens when you switch to book-view and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir View Post
Instead of "Off" Select "Pretty print" in the "Clean Source" options.
Pretty print also does some strange things with <p> tags and indents, only to a lesser extent than the "off" option
Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not experiencing any Tidy issues. I just leave it on Pretty Print. Behaves like it always did when I had Tidy turned off in the last official release (which is essentially the same as Pretty Print-only in this Beta). "Off" is all new territory as far as I can tell. I'll check it out at some point, but it's not something I have much of an interest in. *shrugs*

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-20-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
This sounds exactly like the issue I had with it

When you say "went back to page" you mean switched to book-view, right? If you stay in code-view this doesn't happen. It happens when you switch to book-view and back again.
Yes, sorry should have been more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
Pretty print also does some strange things with <p> tags and indents, only to a lesser extent than the "off" option
I haven't tried Pretty Print as I didn't know what it did. I figured OFF... was well OFF. Apparently not in this case.

Last edited by Danger; 06-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I haven't tried Tidy Print as I didn't know what it did. I figured OFF... was well OFF. Apparently not in this case.
In the previous versions of Sigil, when you turned Tidy off, Pretty-Print was still enabled (handles indentation, line-spacing and such). It couldn't truly be turned "Off" before. Now, I believe (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, of course) off is truly off: indentation, grouping of inline elements, and line-spacing is entirely up to you. At least it's supposed to work that way, I think.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
In the previous versions of Sigil, when you turned Tidy off, Pretty-Print was still enabled (handles indentation, line-spacing and such). It couldn't truly be turned "Off" before. Now, I believe (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, of course) off is truly off: indentation, grouping of inline elements, and line-spacing is entirely up to you. At least it's supposed to work that way, I think.
Ahhh, ok that makes sense. So not so much a bug but a feature... I can live with that
Old 06-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
In the meanwhile, Toxaris... I've gotten into the habit of immediately searching (Regex mode) my source for occurrences of \x{AD} and replacing them with a blank/empty/"nothing in the replace field". Or you could just as easily replace them with the & shy; entity.
Thanks. \x{AD} will be stored in my notes!
Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Yes, that's how it works. You must exit Sigil after changing the setting and then restart. Anyone who thinks they've seen an issue should retest after restarting.

The only thing turning Clean Source off doesn't affect is the changing of the entities. Entity conversion is completely separate.

If anyone has reported problems with the first beta, please retest and confirm if your issue is fixed or not. And just assume we haven't heard about it before whatever it is so that it can be checked.
Closed Thread