Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
bulk metadata - 2 issues with series

any easy solution for either of these issue please:

1. many book series are found with the series data embedded into the title i.e. the title syntax is something like "XXnn - title" where XXnn is a series abbreviation & series number.

this causes metadata lookups to usually fail, unless the XXnn is manually removed beforehand in each case - then replaced afterwards ( It's a useful format e,g, for Kindle )

so a bulk metadata update is not possible - any workaround for quickly doing 10+ books ?

2. the auto number series seem to look for the highest number ever used then continue from there. so once a book has been added out of sequence there is no way to correctly auto - number later additions to the library

is there any way to select & sort a series in the main pane then force a series re-numbering to be re-applied ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Only by setting them all to a new series name in bulk edit and then renaming them back in my experience.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Only by setting them all to a new series name in bulk edit and then renaming them back in my experience.
i worked around it like this in one instance: books 1 2 3, 26 were already correctly numbered. so I chenged 26 to 1, tehn selected books 4-26 in main pane & ticked renumber. they came out OK.

so it seems that the trick is to temporarly remove any out fo sequence high numbers then let auto-number do its thing.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i worked around it like this in one instance: books 1 2 3, 26 were already correctly numbered. so I chenged 26 to 1, tehn selected books 4-26 in main pane & ticked renumber. they came out OK.

so it seems that the trick is to temporarly remove any out fo sequence high numbers then let auto-number do its thing.
You could just use the feature supplied to force the numbers to start at a given number, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	series_auto_number.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	58906  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
1. many book series are found with the series data embedded into the title i.e. the title syntax is something like "XXnn - title" where XXnn is a series abbreviation & series number.

this causes metadata lookups to usually fail, unless the XXnn is manually removed beforehand in each case - then replaced afterwards ( It's a useful format e,g, for Kindle )

so a bulk metadata update is not possible - any workaround for quickly doing 10+ books ?
When bulk editing the metadata, there's a search & replace- field. Try using that to first remove series info, then do your metadata lookup, then put the series info back again. Yes, three distinct steps is not "quickly", but it's better than doing every single book manually.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You could just use the feature supplied to force the numbers to start at a given number, see attached.
i dont have that field/feature & I am using 7.20 please see my attachment - what program version is your screenshot from ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Picture.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	58909  

Last edited by cybmole; 09-27-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
i dont have that field/feature & I am using 7.20 please see my attachment - what program version is your screenshot from ?
I guess this is new to the beta version (0.7.904), you should see it in 0.7.21

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-27-2010 at 06:30 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
There are a lot of things in the beta that aren't in the 0.7.20 release. You should read the beta thread to see if any of your problems are already solved. The beta is likely to become production this week, so if you have comments, now is the time to make them.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote