Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
jschall
Avid Reader
jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Archos 5 Internet Tablet, Pandigital Novel , Acer Iconia A100
Question Problem reading rtf file

Is Calibre able to read/view rtf files?

I am trying to get my head around all the formats and reader programs for ebook files. Rtf ("Rich Text Format") is surely one of the oldest and widest-spread.

In my quest to learn more about the platforms and the formats, I came across ZuluReader for my Windows Mobile device - already equipped with TomeRaider (tr3), MobiPocket (prc), eReader (pdb), Adobe Reader (pdf) and Microsoft Reader (lit). (It also reads doc files!). ZuluReader promises to add epub files to the list, but I haven't tried it yet.

Well, I also downloaded from the ZuluExpress site the help file for ZuluReader, which happens to be an rtf file.

I can open the rtf file just fine with FBReader.

But when I try with Calibre (0.6.7 for Linux), adding the help.rtf (6.5 kB) as a new book the "Adding" window sticks at zero for 15s, then appears to complete normally. The new file shows as 0MB in the list of books in Calibre, but clicking on View does nothing.

Any idea why this would be?

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint-Hilaire, Québec
jschall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run calibre in a terminal when adding the boko and post any output
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and I would advise against using RTF as a format. It's very badly designed and not well supported by most e-book software.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
jschall
Avid Reader
jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oh and I would advise against using RTF as a format. It's very badly designed and not well supported by most e-book software.
That may well be. I am just trying to view the help file.

Here is what happens when I run calibre from the terminal:

jeff@jeff-eeepc:~$ calibre &
[1] 22321
jeff@jeff-eeepc:~$ link hasn't been detected! <- this is when calibre starts
link hasn't been detected!
Error: no "view" mailcap rules found for type "application/rtf" <- This is when I try to view the rtf file.

Any other suggestions, Kovid?

- Jeff Schallenberg
Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Your desktop environment has no default RTF viewer setup, so calibre if failing to launch.

In Preferences->Interface check Use internal viewer for RTF
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
jschall
Avid Reader

Thanks, Kovid.

- Jeff Schallenberg