Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
kovboi
kovboi began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3, maybe...
Cybook or wait for Astak Mentor?

I'm a complete and utter noob here, so please be gentle. ;-)
I've decided to get an e-ink device and had just about settled on the Cybook Gen3, but then I noticed the thread on the forthcoming Astak Mentor. Would it be worthwhile to wait for the Mentor?

Why to wait for the Mentor: Basically the Cybook does what I want and the Mentor (E-210) appears to do the same, but with wireless/bluetooth and less expensive. I don't necessarily need the wireless/bt, but cheaper is always good.

Why to get the Cybook: they're back in stock (for the moment, anyway) and it's proven technology, as opposed to uncertain release date and firmware for the Mentor.

I think I know what to do, but I'm also impatient and need help so I don't end up kicking myself in a couple of months for making the wrong choice. Any help?
kovboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
I am in the same boat as you, to the extent that I am also waiting . My choice is between iLiad and the new 9.7 Mentor. IN my case the wait is on two counts 1) The larger screen 2) Price: Mentor is suppose to be lot cheaper.
But then One in the hand is.....

For the time being, its better to wait since things are likely to be clearer (not fully though) pretty soon. As you may have read on the Astak thread, Astak is suppose to come out with their announcements and, I hope, a prototype by Mid May. I can wait that much and I think so can you
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There will always be something better available in a few months; if you wait for the ideal machine, you'll be waiting for a long time. I'd get the CyBook - you can always sell it again (they fetch excellent prices 2nd hand) if something better arrives 6 months down the line.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
We may know more next week (from the IDPG show on May 14), but what we think we know now about the 6" Astak:

a) In US, ships with eReader support but not MobiPocket
b) May (or may not) be able to run MobiPocket's old reader software for Win-CE
c) May (or may not) be able to run other Win-CE reader software
d) Actual capabilities of the (optional) touch screen and WiFi are unknown
e) May be sold in Europe (by Longshine) with MobiPocket support and without eReader support

If it can run 3rd party WinCE software, then it will be the 2nd most open E-Ink device available (after the iLiad).

The most significant feature of the 6" Astak (and perhaps even the 9.7" device) may be its price. However, pre-release pricing is often wrong and usually on the low side.

To me, the only reason not to buy the Cybook is price, but its current price isn't out of line with other devices actually on the market. The Cybook, and its MobiPocket reading capabilities, are a known quantity and already better than "good enough".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
kovboi

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll get the Cybook but it makes sense to wait until the Mentor is unveiled and see if any of these ambiguities are cleared up then. I hadn't even thought about possibly selling it later - that's a great idea.
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovboi View Post
I've decided to get an e-ink device and had just about settled on the Cybook Gen3, but then I noticed the thread on the forthcoming Astak Mentor. Would it be worthwhile to wait for the Mentor?
I was considering getting a Gen-3 and pass my Sony 500 to someone. However, with all the problem I read about in the CyBook threads I decided to wait until the firmware update. Now that it is out some people report even more problems with the thing.

So, I'm just sticking with my 500 for now.

Then again, if you don't have one at all waiting a week or two for Astak might be worth while... but then again you said you want a 9 inch device I think Astak said that won't be out until later... did they save August/Spet?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
kovboi

I decided to go ahead an order a Cybook since it looks like the release date for the Mentor is sliding. In the worst case scenario, I buy one of those when they come out and my wife gets to keep the one she likes best. Cheers!