Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #76
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Karma Police!

Originally Posted by desertgrandma:

Quote:
How I got all that Karma.....not complaining, mind you, I can use all I can get. Heck, too bad we can't give REAL positive Karma to people we see on the street.......thanks to those of you who have 'tapped' me...
Originally posted by Nate the Great:

Quote:
Because there are a bunch of people who have been throwing karma around willy-nilly lately. They've basically made the karma number meaningless.
I think we should all give Nate some Karma, for he obviously has special powers that give him the ability to discern whether Karma was given nilly willy and not for merit. Perhaps MR should set up some kind of "Karma Police" in which all Karma has to be approved by the chosen few (Nate and JSWolf).
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #77
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Oh, let's not argue about who killed who! This supposed to be a happy occasion!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #78
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Oh, let's not argue about who killed who! This supposed to be a happy occasion!
spoilsport
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #79
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
pshrynk's just trying to keep it civil and friendly - no harm in that, eh?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #80
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to agree. karma swapping has just ruined it for all those who have been helping others and posting well made eBooks.

If you karma swappers want to put things right, please PM the moderators and let us know that you are a karma swapper so we can put your karma right so others who actually deserve it can enjoy the benefit of a job well done.
I guess I'm a karma swapper. Am I? I don't really know, since your comment is directed at the un-named anonymous unknown. This is the type of comment I find completely useless. It cannot possibly do any good, it can't even generate your desired outcome, because it doesn't name names. The people you have in mind are probably oblivious, and everyone else is left wondering if you meant them, so are needlessly offended.

The proper way to have handled this is for you, as a moderator, to send a private note to the specific parties, thus handling things quietly with no public dispute. If you absolutely have to make a public message, then name names. Anything else is just flame baiting and as such is particularly asinine coming from a moderator.

I've given karma to dozens of different people, and receive it from a diverse group, for a variety of reasons. Feel free to reset me to zero, if you feel like that'll help make others feel relatively more appreciated.

There are other "solutions", if you really feel such a silly thing represents a "problem". On a technical forum I moderated, we decided that no karma (reputation) could be generated from any of the non-technical forums (Lounge, Posting Games). The site administration would have to collectively decide if that should be done here, or not, considering the possible effects on morale and site activity. Much better to have that discussion in private among yourselves, than to be a troll in this thread, don't you think?

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 06-16-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #81
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I hate to say another word on the subject but really can't resist. I love the Karma button - what an easy way to tell someone thanks. I hate the Karma totals - what a terrible thing to display the number of thanks (or giggles or kisses or whatever) that people have given them. I don't see the point in displaying those totals and today is a good reason to consider getting rid of it. If the moderators, who by definition do a lot of thankless dog work daily, could be identified in some way in their posts, then there would be little reason to display something insidious as Karma totals.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #82
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
If the moderators, who by definition do a lot of thankless dog work daily, could be identified in some way in their posts, then there would be little reason to display something insidious as Karma totals.
Moderators are identifiable, VR. Our names appear next to our avatars in a vivid green.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #83
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Please let's take a deep breath ... and relax.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:02 AM   #84
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
EDITED: Ahh, bugger it! What's the point in arguing the toss? If the mod's are so ambivalent about karma, well I'll just assume karma doesn't exist from now on and put those people who express cynical attitudes that make my skin crawl into my "Ignore" category.

Move along...nothing to see here but us karma-whores apparently.

Cheers,
Marc (who feels like throwing up)

Last edited by montsnmags; 06-17-2008 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Nihilism
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:32 AM   #85
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the name of MobileRead, I sincerely apologize for any "negative" karma that may have been spread by some of our moderators. It's not OK that anyone of you should feel ashamed for using the Karma feature.

Please continue using it as much and often as you like. And if anyone feels differently about it, please message me.

Alex
Old 06-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #86
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It's not OK that anyone of you should feel ashamed for using the Karma feature.

Please continue using it as much and often as you like.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #87
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Because there are a bunch of people who have been throwing karma around willy-nilly lately. They've basically made the karma number meaningless.
and JSWolf

I could not agree more.

In the past few months we got a bunch of flooders who post completely meaningless topics, who just swap karma here and there and people who really contribute to the board are far behind them in karma numbers. The whole idea of karma is total rubbish now.

Just a small example. Madam Broshkina has upload so many books and has about 1/2 or even 1/3 of what most of these flooders got recently.

IMHO. It is a shame that a good idea has been ruined.
As a side note, it would be interesting if posts posted in lounge would not be counted to a total number of posts of a poster and detracted from number of posts some flooders already have.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #88
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Yes, and you know who you are! Not you, THEM. It's always "them". I would like to now complain about those of you, and I won't name names, you know who you are, who have offended me and all those I speak for (you know who you are) by doing that one thing. Stop.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 06-17-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #89
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Since I'm having one of 'those weeks' I can only assume you mean me. So on behalf of myself and all the other 'thems' to whom you refer, I humbly apologise and hope you will show your forgiveness by heaping oodles of karma upon me (I'll happy accept the other 'thems' on their behalf too).

(sorry, just can't help myself)
(it really, really is one of *those* weeks)
(I'll adjourn to the more random threads any time now, honestly)
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #90
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Can we all try to relax and unwind for a moment? Thank you. First of all, I understand and care about this issue. So I promise I will try my best to work on a solution that everyone could agree on.

On the one hand, we have hard-core members who spend a lot of time and energy actively contributing to our community. For example, our e-book section is only a little over a year old; yet it's been immensely successful and steadily growing thanks to those members who have been so meticulously converting, formatting and sharing with us some of the most outstanding literary works. These members have earned our utmost respect, and it's only natural that we'd like to portray this respect in form of giving them Karma.

On the other hand, we have a growing community where members with an exceptionally diverse set of skills and interest love to hang out and have fun. This is wonderful, and I am very proud of this! I personally find many of the so-called off-topic posts relaxing and refreshing, and certainly I don't want to miss a single one of them. If giving each other Karma turned into some kind of sport, then, at least for me, this is one way of judging how positive and successful our community has become.

So the dilemma is that our Karma system currently serves different purposes.

I propose: We add another award system to specifically honor members with special achievements in our community. This system would go along with Karma points and neither would affect the other.

Before I continue contemplating this solution, I would like to hear your constructive comments. But please, before anything else, let's stop with the accusations and be nice to each other again.

Thanks again!

Alex

Tags
focking, lefty