Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
Restore Missing Library? Plug in to automate?

Hello,

1. I spent 3 days converting and entering metadata in my library. Everything was converted from mobi to epub. But, it is now it is gone!

If I understand correctly the library is stored in a metafile.db. I have tried to see if I can restore a previous version (Vista user) but no luck. Is there a way to restore a previous version? I now know I should have used "save file" but I did not understand before. I also do not understand where the epub files are......

Now for some questions for the mentally impaired:

2. Are all the plug ins shown in the Preferences working? Or do I need to activate them?

3. Is there a plug in anyone would care to share to help:

A. Automate my running of .py scripts and then transfer those files into the library.

B. A plug in that once in the library it automatically looks for metadata and fetches covers.

Obviously, I am not looking forward to another stretch hours redoing everything.

Thank you!

Debby
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
look for the file metadata.db on your computer, find out what folder it is in. Then in the preferences of calibre set that folder as your library path
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Thank you, I have already done that. Is there not a epub version of book created somewhere? In some of the book folders I actually have a e pub file.

I don't know if this matters but I upgraded to the latest version before I imported the majority of the books and worked on the metadata. It appears that those I completed before the upgrade are all there. Also, the newer version of Calibre stopped several times.

Inspite of all this, the program is wonderful!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure I understand what your problem is. Are you saying that calibre is not showing the EPUB format for books you have converted?
Old 03-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Debby
Connoisseur

Correct. I updated the metadata (author, series and comments) converted them. All of the ones I did after the update are gone.

I also can't find the epub versions on my computer.
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Is the metadata the updated one of the original one. If only the EPUB files are missing you can simply select all the books, click the arrow next to the convert button and select bulk convert

to reconvert all of them in a single step.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Debby
Connoisseur

I have tried that. It appears some are the correct "version" that I can convert, while other need to be reimported. The majority of them do not have the metadata information.

I end up with 2 files. One is a .prc and the other epub/prc. I have been deleting the orginal .prc Is this causing the problem?

The program just stopped working again. It is currently frozen and not responding.

How often is it set to save to the metadata file? I was going to restart it but I got a message that I could lose data if I don't wait for the program. Unfortunately, it has been frozen for about 4 minutes.

Thank you!!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

do not delete files from the calibre library. If you want to remove a particular format (say PRC) from ta book, use the edit metadata dialog to do it. Changes to metadata are saved as soon as you make them. The warning about closing happens if there are jobs running (the hourglass is spinning)