Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
godlich
godlich began at the beginning.

Device: none
Shrinking pdf in calibre / different folders reducing size

I recently added quite a lot of pdf files (mostly magazines) which I like to read on my tablet of PC. Unfortunalty, they are quite huge and my library grew to almost 5GB.

The library is synced via dropbox (I know about the problems) and I try to reduce the size of the pdf. I use the function in adobe acrobat XI and tried a program called PDF shrink. But I have to process manually as all the pdf are in different folders. So I have to pick them manually to process them.

Is there a way to reduce all the pdf in you library automatically?

Thank you very much for hints, ideas and solutions!
godlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
http://answers.acrobatusers.com/How-...tX-q19602.aspx
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
godlich
godlich began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Many thanks, The action wizard is a great option, but not for my problem.
You cannot choose an option like "Save as a compressed file" in the action wizard.
godlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If the PDFs are just pictures of the pages of the magazine, you might not be able to gain much compression.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
If pdfs are scans (i.e. bitmaps not vectors) you can also try OCR-ing with Clearscan option in Acrobat XI.

Also at the same time you can reduce the dpi there by downsampling to 150 or lower if the quality is good enough for you.

Last edited by markom; 08-27-2014 at 01:44 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If it's just text though couldn't someone just save them as text and then load them into calibre for conversion to epubs? It would be a bit of work to put links in for stories or chapters as well as editing for possible errors I imagine but that might work.
Not sure how to do that with images though. I've run into some PDF's that are basically images too and they can get pretty large.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote