Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #2551
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool making it fit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
Wow, that is amazing! I just saved it as my desktop background
Hmmm... kind of a tricky proposition methinks!

Options to make it fit a PC screen:

1. turn it sideways
2. heavily crop it
3. stretch it
4. leave huge black letterbox bars
5. color the black bars to something less obtrusive

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #2552
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

1. turn it sideways
2. heavily crop it
3. stretch it

The desktop icons have to sit somewhere.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #2553
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:

1. turn it sideways
2. heavily crop it
3. stretch it

I have it centered with black bars on either side so my icons line the sides of the picture. It's not perfect but it still looks cool.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #2554
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Seen on the Net: Harry Connolly’s Fantasy Trilogy Kickstarter is a Great Deal

Quoted from jim-butcher.com

Quote:
Seen on the Net:
Harry Connolly’s Fantasy Trilogy Kickstarter is a Great Deal

Oct 17, 2013

Harry Connolly should be well-known to Jim fans: Jim said this about Harry’s novel, Child of Fire:

Quote:
“[Child of Fire] is excellent reading and has a lot of things I love in a book: a truly dark and sinister world, delicious tension and suspense, violence so gritty you’ll get something in your eye just reading it, and a gorgeously flawed protagonist. Take this one to the checkout counter. Seriously.”
For the past month, Harry has been running a Kickstarter to self-publish his epic fantasy trilogy The Great Way. And it’s been going great! The project funded quickly, and several stretch goals have been unlocked, including additional novels outside of the trilogy. The clock is running down, though: there’s less than 60 hours left before the opportunity to buy into the Kickstarter evaporates! (Don’t worry if you can’t, though: the books will be available for sale as e-books after they’re published.)

One of the stretch goals unlocked will be of particular interest to urban fantasy fans: backers will also get A KEY, AN EGG, AN UNFORTUNATE REMARK, an urban fantasy novel with a pacifist protagonist in her mid-sixties. The book is sort of like The Dresden Files if Harry Dresden was actually a cross between Auntie Mame and Gandalf. You can read more about that novel here.

At any rate, we hope you’ll give Harry’s kickstarter a look by or before the weekend. He’s a great author with a unique voice that deserves to find a wider audience.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-21-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #2555
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Mistborn: The Final Empire

Quote:
My son Matt gifted me with a Kindle book for my birthday last month. It was Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson. So, even though I don't normally gravitate toward epic fantasy (except for Tolkien), I'm giving it a try. Wish me luck! ...
Well I finished it last night. Also I must say that I enjoyed it immensely. I need to (eventually) read the other two books in the trilogy as well since I feel the need to find out what follows for Vin and the crew and for Eland as well!

Old 10-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #2556
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
So, I've been made aware that there's a decline in devilishness in this thread, which is absolutely unacceptable so close to All Hallow's Eve. I thought I should stop by. I do apologize for my lack of participation but, as some of you know, I've been without a minion for quite some time and that has a negative affect on my social skills.

I do hope I can be forgiven. The universal shift occurring nine days hence should balance things nicely, and I hope to be able to maintain my prior levels of interaction thereafter.

(posting in character is fun )
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #2557
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Welcome back...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
So, I've been made aware that there's a decline in devilishness in this thread, which is absolutely unacceptable so close to All Hallow's Eve. I thought I should stop by. I do apologize for my lack of participation but, as some of you know, I've been without a minion for quite some time and that has a negative affect on my social skills.

I do hope I can be forgiven. The universal shift occurring nine days hence should balance things nicely, and I hope to be able to maintain my prior levels of interaction thereafter.

(posting in character is fun )
Murphy and I plan to attend the Wild Hunt again this year. Will you be joining us? If so, bring your own mount as there's only room for the two of us on Murph's Harley.

(I agree that posting in character is fun )

Old 10-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #2558
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Murphy and I plan to attend the Wild Hunt again this year. Will you be joining us? If so, bring your own mount as there's only room for the two of us on Murph's Harley.

(I agree that posting in character is fun )

Oh, you haven't heard? Lord Herne is leading the Hunt again, and is granting me use of one of his steeds. I'm not certain how it will go over, but he tends to do as he likes and though I lack his... panache, I am happy to ride his coattails. Being independent of either Court is a tricky situation, and dangerous, but it keeps things rather interesting.

It surely must drive the Courts crazy that the Erlking allows me such liberties, and his protection. I imagine they are simply dying to know why.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #2559
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Wild Hunt on All Hallow's Eve...

Quote:
Oh, you haven't heard? Lord Herne is leading the Hunt again, and is granting me use of one of his steeds. I'm not certain how it will go over, but he tends to do as he likes and though I lack his... panache, I am happy to ride his coattails. Being independent of either Court is a tricky situation, and dangerous, but it keeps things rather interesting.

It surely must drive the Courts crazy that the Erlking allows me such liberties, and his protection. I imagine they are simply dying to know why.
Hmmm...sounds like a sweet deal. Eldest Gruff was with Lord Hearne when Murph and I last joined the Wild Hunt. In fact I'm taking along a genuine, Chicago doughnut freshly made with sprinkles ’pon it and frosting of white in case Eldest Gruff is there. It's kind of a payback for a favor he once did for me.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #2560
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I'll just sit on the front porch and look scary.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #2561
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
Ah, the all-important "scary person on the front porch". A highly underrated but very important staple of Halloween scares.

I've never been able to manage it, as frightening children always made me feel bad, even when all in good fun. Their parents, on the other hand...

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #2562
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool spooky voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
Quote:
Ah, the all-important "scary person on the front porch". A highly underrated but very important staple of Halloween scares.

I've never been able to manage it, as frightening children always made me feel bad, even when all in good fun. Their parents, on the other hand...

A quiet lurking jack-o-lantern is ok, but if you also say stuff in a spooky voice when they come up to the door really adds flavor to their experience

Last edited by alansplace; 10-23-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #2563
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #2564
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #2565
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jimmy McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Quote:
Oh come on! Do you really expect us to believe that that guy is a Dresden fan!?! He's wearing the glove on the wrong hand, his duster looks like a suit jacket and that's water sitting on the dias, not coke!

Last edited by alansplace; 10-23-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: oops!

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy