Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Review: Acer 1420p (Lots of Pics)

Introduction

This is a quick review of the Acer 1420p I recently purchased.

NOTE: This model was given away at a Microsoft developer conference and as such has some slight differences to the planned retail model. There may be other unknown differences but I don't think there will be anything too major given the specifications available online.

Most notably this model has 3G (which is an additional option at retail), a larger hard drive, Windows 7 Ultimate, and a different BIOS.

More information is available here: http://microsoftpdc.com/tablet

The hardware is also being re-branded as both Packard Bell Easynote Butterfly Touch and Gateway EC18T, both of which will probably vary in spec slightly. It may be resold as other brands, I don't know.

Specs

•Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64-bit
•Intel® Core™2 Duo U2300 processor
•Mobile Intel® GS45 Express Chipset

Memory
•Dual-Channel SDRAM support
•2GB of DDR3 1066 MHz memory, upgradeable to 8 GB using two soDIMM modules

Display
•11.6" HD 1366 x 768
•Convertible multi-touch display

Graphics
•Mobile Intel® GS45 Express Chipset

Communication
•Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam
•WWAN: UMTS/HSPA at 850/900/1900/2100 MHz and quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
•WLAN: Intel® WiFi Link 1000
•WPAN: Bluetooth® 2.1+Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
•LAN: Gigabit Ethernet; Wake-on-LAN ready

Audio
•Optimized 2nd Generation Dolby® Sound Room® audio enhancement
•High-definition audio support
•S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) support for digital speakers
•MS-Sound compatible
•Built-in microphone

Storage subsystem
•2.5" 250GB hard disk drive
•Multi-in-1 card reader

Privacy control
•BIOS user, supervisor, HDD passwords
•Kensington lock slot

Dimensions and weight
•285 (W) 208.9 (D) 28.5/34.5 (H) mm (11.22 x 8.22 x 1.12/1.36 inches)
•1.72 kg (3.79 lbs.) (non-3G SKU)

Power subsystem
•ACPI 3.0
•62.16 W 5600 mAh
•3-pin 30 W AC adapter

Special keys and controls
•84-/85-/88-key keyboard
•Multi-gesture touchpad pointing device

I/O interface
•Multi-in-1 card reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
•USB 2.0 port
•HDMI™ port with HDCP support
•External display (VGA) port
•Headphones/speaker/line-out jack with S/PDIF support
•Microphone-in jack
•Ethernet (RJ-45) port
•DC-in jack for AC adapter

Build & First Impressions

First impressions are that it's a very solidly built device, reassuringly heavy and sturdy. They've gone for the glossy, black fingerprint magnet surface but since this is a tablet the screen itself is never going to stay 'clean' so it's not bothered me too much. I've wiped it for photos but it really does pick up fingerprints.

I've taken a few shots of it compared to my Hanvon N516 which is a fairly standard sized 5 inch e-ink device for comparison. The 1420p was actually thinner than I expected but it isn't a light device so it may not suit those looking for something to hold for long periods.

The hinge in particularly seems very well built and firm with no suspicious play in the action. I'll have to see how this is over time but for now the action is smooth yet stiff enough to hold it's position at any angle. The screen itself is quite heavy and if opened like a standard netbook at a certain angle it will tip back under it's own weight though this angle is not really one you would work at. The screen twists in one direction only to convert into a tablet which I've pictured below.

Or open as a standard netbook:

The keyboard is great, full size, sort of chiclet style but not much space between really. I find it very easy to type on though there is a little flex in the middle so it could be a little sturdier.

Has lots of nice ports for cable fetishists, I'm not too fussed by most of them though I will try the HDMI out at some point. Some pics:

Lastly when converted to a tablet it's a nice size, quite easy to hold thanks to the bevel. There is a stylus hidden in the bottom right of the screen, a CTRL-ALT-DEL key at the bottom right which is damn handy and a webcam at the top. The drivers rotate the screen as you orientate it, I find this slightly annoying so I may turn it off...it is quite easy to jog the thing and it goes a little loopy changing orientation and back again due to the accelerometer.

The screen is resistive but nice and solid feeling unlike some of the older 'spongy' feeling resistive things. You can see the resistive layer if you look and see the very slight deformation as you touch it but it's not noticeable when using it. It's multi-touch too, with two points as far as I can tell.

Performance & Battery

I'm not going to do any real performance tests, if you are interested you can find info on the SU2300 online and particular the Acer 1410 with an SU2300 which should give you some idea in real terms.

It's certainly much better than the current crop of single core Atoms being used. It handles video with ease, I can play full screen flash including HD in full screen with no noticeable issues. I've used BBC IPlayer and again that appears to be working fine although the HD wasn't as successful I'll have to look into why that isn't working as well as youtube.

I've not used it for development yet but that will probably be the real test but overall I'm very happy with the general speed and performance. It doesn't feel sluggish like my eeepc did and I've only noticed it slow down occasionally but that may be more to do with my underclocking.

Battery life is very good given the performance but I don't think the 8 hours is achievable under normal conditions. I'd guess with straight web browsing and light use you'll get more like 4 or 5 hours maybe more but there is plenty that can be done to improve that. I'm currently underclocking mine using CrystalCPUID and estimated time is showing 7.5 hours or more though I've not strictly tested it. Turning off the wireless and dropping the brightness will no doubt extend it more.

Regardless I've found it meets my needs and with judicious use you could certainly make this last all day. Perhaps once it's out they'll release an 8 cell battery which could push it further.

Going to stop there for now but I'll add some more.

To be continued...
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote