Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins finishes up the Hunger Games trilogy. All I can say is WOW -- what a thrilling and satisfying end to the story. These three books were like a roller coaster ride, or a great action movie that has you on the edge of your seat the whole time....and then you walk away all happy and feeling good inside.

This book was a two day, one weekend read. Nice and quick and captivating. I won't cover the plot points because I don't want to spoil for any who haven't read the first two. I'll just say that the first too books were so good I preOrdered this on from Amazon/Kindle. The book was delivered wireless to me the morning of the day of release.

I read much of it on my iPhone and I'm reminded how really basic the iPhone kindle app is. Amazon really needs to up it's game in the reader app department. The iPhone 4's "retina display" is really a joy for reading.

Back to the book. Who would like this series? I'd say just about anyone. It's not sci-fi like most of the books I read. Ok, perhaps just a touch here and there as it is set in a dystopic future. It is a character driven book with thriller type plotting. Not everyone seems to be able to pull that off, but Suzanne Collins makes it look so easy. There is none of the usual "kinda boring but necessary to build up the character" type sections of, say, a Steven King book. And it's not hamstrung in character development by the need for fast plotting like, say, the typical spy thriller.

You will care about the main characters. Your emotions will be taken on a ride. You'll feel fear, anger, joy, humor and more as you are taken on the thrill ride with the characters.

Highly recommended,

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
This just popped up on my Sony store the other day. And even Apple seems to be getting in the game with it and super-hype. Never heard of the trilogy. What am I missing?

Just checked out the link for Hunger Games. Seems a little dark and dystopian for a YA by Scholastic....very interesting.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
This just popped up on my Sony store the other day. And even Apple seems to be getting in the game with it and super-hype. Never heard of the trilogy. What am I missing?
It's a good book, supposedly a "Young Adult" series, but very enjoyable for adults too.

The premise is a future world that has had some kind of war and all of humanity is found in the country of Panem. Panem has a capital city and is surrounded by 13 districts. There had been an uprising of the districts against the capital city and the capital city one. The districts -- people live in poverty, serving the capital city as pretty much slaves. Each year there is something called the "Hunger Games".

Each district has a lottery where one girl and one boy are chosen to fight to the death in the Hunger Games. Only one kid survives. This is the Capital reminding the districts of the penalty for rebellion.

And as bad as all that sounds (and is) -- Collins manages to pull off something quite different than you might expect given the setup. This is far more than Mad Max meets Lord of the Flies. You'll really fall in love with the characters.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
The first book is fantastic. Can't say the same about the next two, but the first one is a must read.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicsgirl View Post
The first book is fantastic. Can't say the same about the next two, but the first one is a must read.
I agree, the first was the best by far but I did enjoy the second two.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicsgirl View Post
I agree. Books two and three were OK, but book one was really good.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
Thanks Lee. After reading the first two, mockingjay is definitely on my list. Glad to hear that it lives up to the series.
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote