Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
lisa9126
lisa9126 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
my paranormal romance!

hello everyone! I am looking for vampire books,werewolf.witch anything I must keep reading!
I have read many authors and need more suggestions, I have read so far the following
laurell k hamilton
charlene harris
raven hart
kelly armsrtong
christine feehan
Anne Rice
Lyndsay Sands
1 book of JR WARD,
maggie Shayne
Maryjanice davidson.
Ok so Are the others out there? I alson loike frebie but who doesnt

Last edited by lisa9126; 12-26-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: the way it loks
lisa9126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What about...

CT Adams
Stephenie Myer

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Maybe Tanya Huff's blood books, Kim Harrison and Shanna Swendson.

Sparkle Hayter have written a werewolfe book (Naked Brunch) that I thought was good.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have you read the original Dracula?

Or, try this one, available here for free..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=Dracula
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Some Nora Roberts may be good. Go for her trilogies, they are most likely to involve supernatural elements. There is one called the Key series which is good---Key of Light, Key of Valour, Key of something else. The Pagan Stone is another but I have not read it myself.

Other authors you may enjoy:

Marion Zimmer Bradley (The Mists of Avalon series)
Terry Pratchett (Discword---not romance per se, but it has elements of that)
Gregory MacGuire (Wicked/OZ series---again, not romance per se but it has some)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 01:46 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Patricia Briggs (start with Moon Called)
Nalini Singh
Meljean Brook
Kresley Cole
Lori Handeland
Rebecca York
Jean Johnson
Angela Knight
Marjorie Liu
Gena Showalter
Eileen Wilks
Anya Bast
Deborah Cooke
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Cheyenne McCray
Kim Harrison (great series, but NOT a romance series)
Carrie Vaughn (also not really a romance series)
Lara Adrian
Laura Anne Gilman
C.E. Murphy
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa9126 View Post
hello everyone! I am looking for vampire books,werewolf.witch anything I must keep reading!
I have read many authors and need more suggestions, I have read so far the following
laurell k hamilton
charlene harris
raven hart
kelly armsrtong
christine feehan
Anne Rice
Lyndsay Sands
1 book of JR WARD,
maggie Shayne
Maryjanice davidson.
Ok so Are the others out there? I alson loike frebie but who doesnt

Well, obviously, you haven't read enough! (That's a joke. Hahahah.)

If you want to move away from the romance aspect, then give Brian Lumley's Necroscope series a try. Unfortunately, only one of his books is available as an ebook. A pity, really, because the series has sold millions of copies.

But....why would a publisher want to make money??!!! The idea is patently absurd!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have read some of Kim Harrion's books and I can highly recommend them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Kim Harrison (great series, but NOT a romance series)
I stopped reading them because too much of the romance component. If Charlain Harris and Laurell K. Hammilton is romance why is not Kim Harrison? I am just curious since I am trying to understand why I like some of the books lumped in the paranormal romance sub-genre but some of them I think is just not very good.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Lilith Saintcrow's Watcher series is also quite good!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
self_less_love
self_less_love began at the beginning.

Device: sharp wizard OZ-590A
You should try Sherrilyn Kenyon or Angela Knight. They're two of my favs.
self_less_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Is it a "romance" or just "romantic"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I stopped reading them because too much of the romance component. If Charlain Harris and Laurell K. Hammilton is romance why is not Kim Harrison? I am just curious since I am trying to understand why I like some of the books lumped in the paranormal romance sub-genre but some of them I think is just not very good.
By the "official" definition of the genre "romance", Charlaine Harris and Laurell K. Hamilton are not writing romances. They're writing paranormal stories with romantic elements.

Officially, a romance should center on the relationship and end with an "emotionally satisfying" (aka, "HEA") ending. And, while some authors may stretch that main story across two or three books, it usually happens in a single book.

As an example, when Christine Feehan writes about her Carpathian vampires, each book tends to focus on the relationship developing between a different couple each book. While there may be an ongoing story arc about the Carpathians, the main focus of each book is the developing relationship (and ultimate pairing up) of the book's focus couple.

Kim Harrison's books are very much about the relationship between the three main leads - Rachel, Ivy and Jenks. The series also has an ongoing story arc about Rachel's magical abilities, what was done to her to cure her childhood disease, etc. Rachel's had more than one love interest so far in the series - and I know of a heavy contingent still hoping she ends up with Ivy - but the love interests aren't the main focus of the books. Generally, what happens with her love interests is used to further the main story arc, rather than the other way around!

That's not to say that some of the urban fantasy/paranormal series aren't called "romances" by people who don't worry too much about "official" definitions.

I have friends who won't read "romance novels" who will read urban fantasy or paranormal stories, even if the romantic elements are very strong. They'll even get invested in the romantic relationships and root for favorite pairings or possibilities. But if I slip a "true" paranormal romance in the pile of books, they generally give it back to me unfinished.

I've taken it to mean that they don't like stories that focus mainly (or solely) on the romantic relationship, but they don't mind - and even enjoy - stories that include a romantic relationship.

Some authors bend the genres enough that I can't always tell which series will be accepted by these friends and which won't. For example, they've enjoyed Kelley Armstrong's books so far, although I would label those paranormal romances, but I think it's because for most of them, there's also some kind of suspense storyline going on as well.

Some people complain that world-building suffers in most paranormal (or science fiction) romances, because the couples need to much of the author's word count! And I've seen the difference between books labeled as science fiction, science fiction romance, and "futuristic" romance (world-building listed strongest to weakest).

Anyway, that's why I'd listed Kim Harrison and Carrie Vaughn as not officially being romances. To a romance purist, that would be the same with the Patricia Briggs and CE Murphy series, although Briggs definitely has a strong romantic voice, and both Briggs' and Murphy's most recent series did develop a romance between main characters over the course of a few books.

Clear as mud? Or more information than you could possible be interested in?!

Last edited by FizzyWater; 12-28-2008 at 07:20 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #13
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Have you read the original Dracula?

Or, try this one, available here for free..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=Dracula
I second that suggestion. It's a good novel. Any vampire lover needs to read the original.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
By the "official" definition of the genre "romance", Charlaine Harris and Laurell K. Hamilton are not writing romances. They're writing paranormal stories with romantic elements.
Sometimes I have seen urban fantasy and paranormal romances used as the same thing but it seems better to distinguish them.

Quote:
I've taken it to mean that they don't like stories that focus mainly (or solely) on the romantic relationship, but they don't mind - and even enjoy - stories that include a romantic relationship.
I think I belong to that category. I for example like Georgette Heyer a lot but I read her books as mostly comedy of manners and not as romances. Or witty books with extremely good dialog.

Quote:
Clear as mud? Or more information than you could possible be interested in?!
It was very interesting since I have read some of the authors mentioned but I approach the books from the non-romance angle like hardboiled noir for early Laurell K. Hammilton and so on.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Christine Feehan's Carpathian series (aka "Dark" series) as in Dark Prince, Dark Gold, etc. should be a must read on your list. You can read each one individualy, but I recommend reading them in order (character and thematic crossovers). Google her webpage to find out the order and to find out about her other series (leopard, Drake sisters, Ghost walkers, etc). I think there's about 13(?) of the Carpathian novels/stories out there, the older ones I found on ebay or half.com.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote