Old 01-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
iki1lu4fun
iki1lu4fun began at the beginning.

Device: sigil
Red face Find and Rename words in 10 Files simultaneously with Sigil

Hi,
I've got a little problem.
Maybe it's better to start at the beginning:

I am reading the books "a song of ice and fire" in german on my Kobo Glo. When I started I noticed unneccesary and inappropiate translations and it really disturbes me. Then I found out that they did that new translation since 2010 but I can't find the old versions in EPUB. So I decided to do a little work and change the "dumb" words into the originals with Sigil. Till this point everything is ok, but I couldn't find a way to apply the changes on more than one Epub file.
There are more than 80 words in each book I want change and there are 10 books and I might freak out if I'd have to change round about 800 words. I would be so grateful if there's anyone who can help me and tell me how to edit every book simultaneously. If there isn't a way with Sigil maybe with another programm.
Well, thanks in advance!
Julian
iki1lu4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What you can do is store all the S&R rules in a group and execute the group on each book.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Grizella
Grizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Mantano
Without removing the DRM you cant do that change. Or did you found your version somewhere?
Grizella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizella View Post
Without removing the DRM you cant do that change. Or did you found your version somewhere?
it is quite simple to BUY a book them remove the DRM from your own copy. no "finding" involved
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Grizella
Grizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a TexanGrizella might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Mantano
He tried to find the old version.
Grizella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
This request is not unreasonable I think. In some translations atrocious decisions are made. Some things are translated (names foremost) that should not be translated.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
iki1lu4fun
iki1lu4fun began at the beginning.

Device: sigil
Thanks for your fast answers.
I will try it tomorrow morning, toxaris, and I hopefully find the option to save the commands. Otherwise I have to ask you helpful guys again^^
iki1lu4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
kindle versions are translated thus:

George R.R. Martin (Author), Andreas Helweg (Translator)

kindle versions could be bought, de-drmd via kindle for PC , converted to epub...

it is usually possible to download a free sample of kindle books, so if one of your problem translated words is near the start of one of the volumes , then it should be in the opening chapters sample & you can inspect to see what translation version is applied.

the wiki also names Helweg as translator of books 2-5 . no mention of a different pre-2010 translator. but wiki does also say:
Blanvalet's paperback edition splits each of the original books into halves. A limited hardcover edition retaining the books' original format and with a slightly modified translation has been published by FanPro since 2004.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transla...f_Ice_and_Fire

the danger of a block find and replace for ~800 "dumb" words is that there may be a context issue. It could be that in a few select instances, the "dumb" word is the preferred one, depending on context.
So without pausing to inspect every proposed replace, you run a risk ?

Last edited by cybmole; 01-24-2015 at 01:44 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edit, rename, sigil, simultaneously