Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
french imp
french imp began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Remove DRM from prc legally, without kindle serial

Hello,
I have a perfectly legally purchased prc ebook, which I can view with mobipocket reader, but I can't remove the drm because all the tools I know of require a kindle serial number and I don't have a kindle.

Why do I have a pcr then ? Well, it came with a paper version of a book. I have a kobo, I want to convert this pcr to epub and anyway I want to be rid of the DRMing DRM ! Can somebody suggest a means of doing it (and I don't plan to buy a kindle or to steal one).

Thanks in advance !
Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Are you sure it has DRM? How did you get it, exactly?

Was it on a CD when it came with the paper book? Then it doesn't have DRM.
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The old version of the DRM-stripping script worked fine on Mobipocket books. Perhaps you can find a copy of that. The serial number is just the same as the Mobipocket ID.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Are you sure it has DRM? How did you get it, exactly?

Was it on a CD when it came with the paper book? Then it doesn't have DRM.
This. (I can't believe I'm saying "This" now. Next it'll be "+1.")
Also, if it was DRMed for a Kindle (which it isn't since you say you can read it in mobi[ocket reader), even buying or stealing a Kindle wouldn't help you. You don't need "a" serial number. You'd need "the" serial number that the file was encrypted for.

Just try converting it to an epub with Calibre and see what happens.

Otherwise, see Susan's comment above. If you can read it, you can convert it.

Last edited by ApK; 04-26-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
french imp

Thanks to all of you for the helpful answers. The thing has a drm - I can't open it in calibre and calibre tells there's a drm. I am pretty furious, but there's nothing I can do about that.

I have found the mobypocket PID (in the about section of the menu) but when I provide that to kindle drm removal it tells me it's not the right id and does nothing. I have an older version of kindle drm removal but it doesn't work either...

I like the principle 'if I can read it I can convert it' but in practice, I don't know what to do...
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
french imp

Great glory and trumpets! Apparently, thanks to the superb ideas you have infused into my obtuse mind, I have found the solution : I have simply fed the calibre plugin with the proper ID, and then i could import the ebook into calibre. However, the importation took a lot of time, and I couldn't open the book (again it took a lot of time, and calibre told me there was a problem). I suspect that the book is just too big... is that plausible ? Apparently it's no longer a DRM problem...
Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
In the past I had a Kindle NT and a DXG, I sold both. I tried always not to buy DRMed stuff, but sometimes I had to.

But gosh, here I am again, dealing with Amazon DRMs after three years I could do without them, reporting "ONE OF THE REASONS EBOOK BUYERS HATE DRMs"

PROBLEM:
I want to study this PRC ebook, which happens to be a Topaz, so it says Calibre.

I can read it with my Android device (Kindle for A.), but I have a 9.7" eink non-Amazon device, want to use that. Went checking Alf's stuff, downloaded his Calibre plugin, installed it, tried again the "Convert" command: no success. Should I perform it differently?

Went in the Plugins section, double clicked that specific one, it asked me to use my PID / SN. Which I cannot recall, both my devices are sold and I can't find it on myAmazon account, since I de-registered those Kindles.

So what? Thank you people for help

Note: I don't have any Kindle for pc installed on my pc since long. I have that book in my Calibre library, and I think I've put it there from my Android app...Or maybe I downloaded it in the past from Amazon to pc: I can't remember. I had happily forgotten all this stuff...

Last edited by lorenzoens; 10-04-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't understand your question. .prc is not the same as .tpz, they are completely different formats. .prc is basically a slightly simplified .mobi. Usually if you just change the file extension to .mobi, it still works fine. .tpz is Topaz format, which is like images of the characters in a book. I have never had any luck with converting Topaz books.

If you still have an Amazon account, you can install Kindle for PC, and re-download the book to that.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Yes, I remember. But it's Calibre that tells me it's a Topaz, though the extension is PRC, not that I ever renamed it.

Would any of you know where to find an older (but trusted) Kindle For Pc? I fear that the newer ones could only make things worse.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Please note that detailed help with DRM removal may not be provided at MobileRead. I suggest you ask for help at the place you got the DRM removal scripts.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread