Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Anyone here think that Windows 8 is 'vastly superior' to iOS and Android?

Reviewers do not seem to share his optimism.

Quote:
Apple today isn't just the biggest technology company; it's one of the biggest publically traded companies anywhere. Apple, not Microsoft, is writing the future of computing, thanks to the staggering success of the iPhone and iPad product lines. This, folks, is what's called a crisis.
Quote:
Microsoft, amazingly, is confronting this issue head-on.
Quote:
Windows 8 is no less than a major new mobile platform that accomplishes two things. First, it provides the software giant with a platform that's vastly superior, out of the gate, to the two platforms that currently dominate this market: Apple iOS (running on the iPad) and Google Android OS.
Quote:
Windows 8 is the start of a revolution. It's exciting and forward leaning. Yes, it's different, but get over it: We made the transition from keyboard and command line to mouse and GUI. We can make this transition, too.
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...ndows-8-144141

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 09-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It's still Windows... I use it when I have to but otherwise...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Since hardly anyone has used Windows 8, it's sort of a moot question. AFAIK the phone version isn't even ready, which is why the new Lumias don't have ship dates.

However, videos like this don't inspire much confidence. The split metro/x86 environment on tablets looks like a usability nightmare. I've also heard lots of complaints about the metro environment on desktops, particularly in regards to Outlook.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
*Any* article praising Microsoft from a site calling itself "Super Site for Windows" should be taken with a large grain of salt.

And Microsoft's only hope is that it is *as least as good* as iOS and Android or their attempts to enter the phone software field will end up as the previous attempts. No where.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Since hardly anyone has used Windows 8
Plenty have.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...8-start-screen

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...perience-aint/

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...wkward-hybrid/
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

He the author is talking about PC product, not phone:

Quote:
Although Microsoft positions Windows RT as simply the ARM-based variant of Windows 8, the situation is in fact reversed: Windows RT is Microsoft's new mobile platform. And Windows 8 is the PC-based variant of that system, providing all the new stuff from RT along with backward compatibility so that the existing customer base can make the transition more easily. Put another way, Windows RT is a fresh start. Windows 8 simply bridges the old and the new.

And make no mistake, this transition is happening. If Microsoft is successful with this plan, we'll leave behind the traditional PC in the years ahead.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I do. I am using it right now to do things that cannot be done on any other platform except via an emulator. I chose to use these tools that cannot be run from another platform because there are no comparable tools.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
He the author is talking about PC product, not phone:
Huh? In your own quote of the article you have this:

Quote:
Windows 8 is no less than a major new mobile platform that accomplishes two things. First, it provides the software giant with a platform that's vastly superior, out of the gate, to the two platforms that currently dominate this market: Apple iOS (running on the iPad) and Google Android OS.
That sure looks to me like he's at last partially talking about phone. Haven't read the complete article. I'm not interested in fan-boys, of any persuasion.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Another bad article posted by ScotiaBurrell, what a shocker.

Apple vs. Everyone Else; The horse corpse has had a good flogging. If you somehow care about this, perhaps seeking professional help to fix your fevered need to live through a companies actions might be a good way to spend time.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
That sure looks to me like he's at last partially talking about phone. Haven't read the complete article. I'm not interested in fan-boys, of any persuasion.
iOS and Android on tablets.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I think the full Window 8 tablets will be 'vastly superior' for most corporate uses, where existing applications can easily be ported across and made compatible between tablets and normal clients.
I think the Windows RT tablets are starting at a considerable disadvantage to iOS and Android tablets, in that they have no initial software library.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
iOS and Android on tablets.
Yes I did see that. But how is iOS and Android on tablets any different, really, than on a phone? Doesn't matter anyway, because Microsoft *is* aiming Windows 8 at the phone market and they already pretty much own the PC market.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My son had Windows 8 installed on one of his computers and I looked at it briefly. There were aspects of it I liked, but I didn't spend enough time for a full review.

I am not a Microsoft fan and I have complained about many of their past mistakes like Vista.

But I have to give them credit for taking a bold step in Windows 8 of bringing together their mobile and desktop systems. They needed to do something major as they are so far behind iO/S and Android.

It could fail massively but I give them credit for a much bolder step then they have done in the past.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
seeking professional help to fix your fevered need
Lighten up please. all for fun.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
I don't know why people keep saying they are so far behind IOS and Android. In sales, sure. But Windows phone 7.5 is already a pretty dang good OS. Much more modern than IOS and more polished than Android. Their only significant disadvantages, in my opinion anyway, have been available hardware and ecosystem. But their ecosystem has been growing rapidly and there are several new phones coming out with Windows 8. I don't know if a single iPhone 5 review was published without hoards of comments comparing it to the Lumia 920. Which tells me a lot of people are excited about Windows 8 in the mobile world.

I don't really care for Windows 8 on the desktop, but I have come to the realization that I rarely use my desktop for personal use anymore. So long as Microsoft doesn't make any major gaffes, my next phone and tablet will likely be Windows. Heck, I'd have a Windows phone now if not for the two disadvantages I brought up back when I bought my last phone almost a year ago. The only model available on my carrier was small and clunky with a physical keyboard, and my software required for work wasn't available at the time. Neither will be an issue for me in a couple months.

Last edited by pl001; 09-20-2012 at 04:45 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote