Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
fragile
Connoisseur
fragile began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
trouble with TXT format....

I'm having trouble getting my 302 display correctly the simplest of formats: TXT

I was trying to load up an RFC (say.. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc793.txt).
Notice that the diagrams are basic characters with spaces in between. The reader seems to alter the spacing and linefeeds which leaves the diagrams in a total mess.
Does anybody know if there is an option that can be enabled to avoid this problem?
fragile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile View Post
I'm having trouble getting my 302 display correctly the simplest of formats: TXT

I was trying to load up an RFC (say.. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc793.txt).
Notice that the diagrams are basic characters with spaces in between. The reader seems to alter the spacing and linefeeds which leaves the diagrams in a total mess.
Does anybody know if there is an option that can be enabled to avoid this problem?
I am just guessing based on what I have read on this board, but according to Kacir FBreader does not preserve formatting, and tends to justify on the left. You could try and install reader42's port of Coolreader, which might solve the problem (it is still very beta, but you could read your file).

As I said, though, it is jsut a guess.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
bense2k
bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bense2k knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Pocketbook pro 602
i would try another font like arial where each character uses the same spaceing.
bense2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You need to use a monospace font e.g. "Courier New", or "Liberation Mono".

@bense2k, As far as I know Arial is a proportional sans-serif font not a monospace font.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
fragile
Connoisseur

@jackie_w: I don't think this is a font character width issue since the spaces all seem to be truncated. For ex:

ssssssss +----------------+
ssssssss |ssssssssssssssss |
ssssssss +----------------+

Becomes:
+----------------+
|s|
+----------------+

where 's' stands for space.
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
fragile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
I am just guessing based on what I have read on this board, but according to Kacir FBreader does not preserve formatting, and tends to justify on the left. You could try and install reader42's port of Coolreader, which might solve the problem (it is still very beta, but you could read your file).

As I said, though, it is jsut a guess.
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded it, but I don't find an extentions.cfg in my /system/config directory. The /system/bin directory was empty too. I copied the cr3.app into it. There was no /system/share directory either. So I created one and copied the contents of the share directory into it. When I click on the text file, I don't get a choice to open it with coolreader....
What am I doing wrong here?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried the TXT file on both my PB360 and my Sony PRS650. I think Paolamanzini's assessment is correct, the problem is FBReader, as my Sony does not remove the leading spaces.

If you are a Calibre user you could try converting the TXT to EPUB. Calibre has a 'preserve spaces' option you could set. You would need to play around with Calibre's TXT Input conversion options until you produced an EPUB you were happy with.

Finally you would need to read the EPUB on your PB with the AdobeViewer app rather than FBReader.

I've attached a couple of screencaps of the EPUB on my PB360 using AdobeViewer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0001.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	68667   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0002.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	68668  

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-20-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
reader42
Zealot
reader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it isreader42 knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
I don't find an extentions.cfg in my /system/config directory.
You'll have to create on. Search here in the forum for it, there should be examples somewhere.
Otherwise the coolreader won't show up as option.
reader42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
fragile
Connoisseur

Thanks for the reply! I've been playing around with calibre but I don't get the preserve spaces option. May be this was a new feature introduced and I've an older version of calibre?

$ ebook-convert --version
ebook-convert (calibre 0.6.42)
Created by: Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net>
$ ebook-convert rfc.txt .epub --preserve-spaces
Usage: ebook-convert input_file output_file [options]
ebook-convert: error: no such option: --preserve-spaces

All day I've been trying to find some tool that will convert to epub while preserving spaces. Haven't had any success yet.

I tried opening it with coolreader. Same problem there too.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded it, but I don't find an extentions.cfg in my /system/config directory. The /system/bin directory was empty too. I copied the cr3.app into it. There was no /system/share directory either. So I created one and copied the contents of the share directory into it. When I click on the text file, I don't get a choice to open it with coolreader....
What am I doing wrong here?
You have to download extentions.cfg from here and put it to the /system/config directory.
There are several of them in various threads here. For example in thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I've been playing around with calibre but I don't get the preserve spaces option. May be this was a new feature introduced and I've an older version of calibre?

$ ebook-convert --version
ebook-convert (calibre 0.6.42)
Good grief that's old! The current version is 0.7.50, i.e. the 50th release since version 0.7 began
Old 03-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
fragile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You have to download extentions.cfg from here and put it to the /system/config directory.
There are several of them in various threads here. For example in thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865
I actually found a copy of it in my reader in a location that isn't exported over usb. There was a terminal app which I used and found out that the file was in /ebrmain/system/config. So with the terminal app I copied over the devices extentions.cfg itself over to the /system/config directory and had it edited. Now I'm able to open with coolreader. Unfortunately it didn't help with my formatting issues with txt.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I actually found a copy of it in my reader in a location that isn't exported over usb. There was a terminal app which I used and found out that the file was in /ebrmain/system/config. So with the terminal app I copied over the devices extentions.cfg itself over to the /system/config directory and had it edited.
Excellent. That is how we got extentions.cfg for modifications. This just quite advanced stuff, so I was suggesting less correct but much simpler way of doing that.

FBRerader eating up spaces is an old problem. This is a feature, because in the vast majority of books multiple consecutive spaces are undesirable.

You might try:
1. in an advanced text editor replace <Space><Space> by <Space><Non-breakable-space> or similar characters.
2. making html out of those txt files.
Just open it in a good text editor and put <br> at the end of each line, or put <p> at the beginning of each line and </p> at the end of each line. This should be usable as a bare-bones html file. If it is not enough enclose entire text between <body><body> tags, insert simple header and enclose the entire thing in <html> and </html> tags.
3. You can also make an rtf file. Use monospaced fonts.
4. there is always the last resort of making a pdf with proper page size (90x115mm) and appropriate fonts and text sizes.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
fragile
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I tried the TXT file on both my PB360 and my Sony PRS650. I think Paolamanzini's assessment is correct, the problem is FBReader, as my Sony does not remove the leading spaces.

If you are a Calibre user you could try converting the TXT to EPUB. Calibre has a 'preserve spaces' option you could set. You would need to play around with Calibre's TXT Input conversion options until you produced an EPUB you were happy with.

Finally you would need to read the EPUB on your PB with the AdobeViewer app rather than FBReader.

I've attached a couple of screencaps of the EPUB on my PB360 using AdobeViewer.
How did you get this output? I downloaded the latest version of calibre. Checked the preserve spaces option in the txt input form. Output was set to EPUB and fired the convert. Still my resultant epub had the spaces truncated.
Was there anything else you had to do to get it to preserve the spaces?
It also seems to hang at the "converting to HTML.." stage. Which version of calibre are you using?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
If it's a txt file, why not reload into word/indesign/etc. and save out in a more appropriate format - after having converted the spaces to tabs, or tabs to spaces, or hard spaces instead of soft spaces, etc.

I used to do this for odd spacing, line returns, and characters to get books readable on my ebookwise when necessary.

And then you could always convert to ... PDF :/
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote