Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Imcov6L - Updates and problems.

Since there isn't a subforum for this device, I'm opening this thread.

I know a few here have an Imco, so I'd be curious to know if others have the same trouble.

I've just installed update 1.15 and found that books that I had already opened before the update show no text anymore. Unopened books seem to work fine.
(I just checked, when I connect the device to the PC, the files are fine.)

Also, since 1.11 or so, the mp3 player starts automatically whenever I open the settings inside a book.
This should have been corrected by several updates now, seems it still persists.

I'm not ruling out that it is related to what I did on the device, but somehow I doubt it - the way I see it, the "update" replaces the firmware, so it should remove all changes I might have introduced.
(It certainly removes the custom pictures.)

[edit]Well, it must be a caching problem. Renaming the book I just read did help, in a way. The book is reset, so to speak, but the text is visible again.

[edit2]Personal recommendation: Do NOT install update 1.15!
Aside from the problem above, the so nicely named "Leseansicht optimiert (kein Schwarzer Balken)"(translation: Reading view optimized (no black bar) basically means removal of the status bar.
No more current time (acceptable) and of course no more battery status.
After all, why would a battery-operated device want you to know the battery status?

Seriously, I was happy as something when I saw that the Imco had a permanent battery status - and now they remove it.
I'm going to ask them for an older version of the firmware - none of the updates so far brought anything positive as far as I can tell (no doubt there have been improvements I just don't see, but I the disadvantages far outweigh them).

[edit3]FYI: The previous update can be found under this link: http://www.imcosys.com/downloadold/update.zip

Last edited by Cyberman tM; 03-31-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I read with Cool Reader 3 only (on Sony T2, T1) - so I can switch the status bar on/off. Usually I have it off.
Almost never switch it on to check the battery status. So 1.15 seems good to me.

The most important thing to me: can you install Cool Reader (better made by jotas), does it work, does it support buttons. Can you install GoldenDict dictionary to integrate with CR?

That is why I want an open android - to be able to install Cool Reader and Golden Dict.
I don't need anything else.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Jinz
Enthusiast
Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Jinz understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Likebook Mars, Imcosys V6l, Trekstor Pyrus
There's no reason to skip the 1.15 update. The status bar with battery status comes up with one tap. Much better than permanently wasting a part of the screen.

There's also no need to install any other reader as the default one is very good, especially with PDF files. Quickdic is also integrated.
Jinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinz View Post
There's no reason to skip the 1.15 update. The status bar with battery status comes up with one tap. Much better than permanently wasting a part of the screen.
There is no gain in removing the battery status - there still is a line "wasted" to display the page number.
So they could just display the battery status.
Net effect of the change: less information, perhaps some battery saved.

The "just a tap" is a needless annoyance that not only forces me to constantly waste time to check the battery (since the device is rather slow, it takes a few seconds and a screen refresh for that), but also depends on me actually remembering to check the battery status.
So instead of making live easier they chose to make it more complicated. Great.

In case you notice, I'm in a bad mood right now. I'm trying not to let it influence my writing, but I doubt I succeed.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
Cyberman tM
Evangelist

TEXET TB-166

Time for some thread-necromancy. Lets see if I succeed.

I just installed update 1.21 (there's no newer, AFAIK) to see if the Play store works (nope).
Turns out, I can't even change the shutdown/standby picture anymore - they probably changed the format details.

The interesting part, however, is that the standby/shutdown image when I deleted the Imco files had "Texet TB-166" in the description (its all russian, so I can't read anything but that).
Could it be the ImcoV6L is just a rebranded TB-166? Or vice versa?

[edit]There are *some* differences - shape isn't the same, and the Imco doesn't use infrared touch, but still...

Last edited by Cyberman tM; 07-23-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Tags
imco