Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
How to Add an Icon to Your Kindle When Plugged in to a Computer

This is a very simple and basically useless "hack", but it's novel and I like it.

This causes any Windows machine that you plug your Kindle in to to display an icon for the drive. You can see it in the screenshots below:

This is very easy to install. Just download the zip and copy autorun.inf and kindle.ico to the user store. To see it, unmount the Kindle and plug it back in. If you want to get rid of it, just delete the two files.

You can change what icon is shown in autorun.inf. I've included two icons, the one in the screenshot and this:

but in 48x48.

To change what icon is used, just open autorun.inf and change the second line to the filename of the icon. You can even use your own icon. I recommend making it 48 by 48 pixels and with transparency.

You can hide the files by right-clicking them, clicking Properties, and checking the "Hidden" box. If you don't have hidden files and folders enabled, they should disappear. You'll need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders to see them again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-icons.zip (84.4 KB, 1433 views)
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have already done that - learned that trick on a Garmin gps forum. So I created similar "icons" for my Blackberry and the Kindle. It really does help identify the Kindle or other device when you have a number of usb-drives hanging off of your computer. I do think your icons are better than the ones I tried to craft from screen-capture images.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
This is very easy to install. Just download the zip and copy autorun.inf and kindle.ico to the user store. To see it, unmount the Kindle and plug it back in. If you want to get rid of it, just delete the two files.
I like this!....stupid question though - when you say copy to the 'user store', where do you mean? The root of the Kindle directory, like adding a .bin file to update/hack the Kindle? Thanks!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I like this!....stupid question though - when you say copy to the 'user store', where do you mean? The root of the Kindle directory, like adding a .bin file to update/hack the Kindle? Thanks!
Yeah the same directory where you put bin files. From the "flash drive" point of view, it's the root of the directory. However, if you SSH into the Kindle (via hacks), it is located in /mnt/us
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Yeah the same directory where you put bin files. From the "flash drive" point of view, it's the root of the directory. However, if you SSH into the Kindle (via hacks), it is located in /mnt/us
Thanks!
Done...works great...your right, useless but fun, kind of like me!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Thanks!
Done...works great...your right, useless but fun, kind of like me!
Eh, you're not useless - you could put your avatar in as the icon to really make your kindle unique.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Eh, you're not useless - you could put your avatar in as the icon to really make your kindle unique.
The icon for the GPS is a great idea too, FF2 ...I'm on a role!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard

Hmm, I guess I can add one to my car gps, a tomtom.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
Tarr
Tarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I like it, thanks!
Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #10
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Larger Icon

Hey,

I fancy the Kindle icon, but do you have it in a larger resolution? It is a bit undersized:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.png
Views:	5899
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	69763  
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
theHippo
theHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3G
My attempt at a 96x96 icon
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle.zip (690 Bytes, 493 views)
theHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
I drew a 96x96 version and put it in a file with my 16x16, 32x32, and 48x48 icons. The first three sizes show just fine - in toolbars, My Computer, etc all show the right sizes. But when I increase the icon size, it still keeps the 48x48 size, and does not show the 96x96. Any ideas? (Windows 7, by the way)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kindle-Icons0.2.zip (77.8 KB, 527 views)
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
metoo999
Enthusiast
metoo999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
On a Mac, you can copy one of these pics, highlight your Kindle external drive, press Command I (Info), click on the icon in the Info window and press Command V (Paste).
metoo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
ahonamous
ahonamous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WF
I like the mini-kindle icon. It is very MacPlus-ish. . I will be using it!
ahonamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
COSSMOS
COSSMOS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3.3 WiFi
Thumbs up

I made my own

It is one Icon with ~10 Versions of it, in it ?!?

No Problems. Just drag both Files into Kindle root.
I have Windows7 and after RESTART it shows the Icon perfectly!!!

And if I change the Viewing in Windows to Details, List, Miniature etc. it shows up from 16x16 to 256x256

Take a look at it, for me it's Great!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleIcon.zip (109.1 KB, 510 views)
COSSMOS is offline   Reply With Quote