Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Which ebook stores won't allow DRM-free books?

Cory Doctorow posted an interesting article about his attempts to get all the major ebook publishers to publish his books DRM free.

Apple refused to sell the books without DRM (I can't say I'm surprised at that), and so did Sony.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/08/29...+(Boing+Boing)
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Now what I can't figure out is why they *won't* sell it without DRM. It makes no sense. I can see them happily selling stuff that the artist/author/company/etc demanded DRM on, but why make it mandatory, even if you don't want it? That's like telling someone they have to buy a car, even if they don't want or need one.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
More like selling a car with wheel clamps already attached so that you can't move it somewhere else.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How would that work exactly? I put my new book on Amazon as non-DRM. I also put it on Smashwords and opted for Apple, but I don't think they asked if I wanted it to be non-DRM like Amazon did. So if it is DRM, do you think Apple will accept it for distribution when it's non-DRM on Amazon? Has anybody else encountered this?

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycedb View Post
How would that work exactly? I put my new book on Amazon as non-DRM. I also put it on Smashwords and opted for Apple, but I don't think they asked if I wanted it to be non-DRM like Amazon did. So if it is DRM, do you think Apple will accept it for distribution when it's non-DRM on Amazon? Has anybody else encountered this?

Joyce
Joyce, you should have seen a requestor about DRM:
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...bookstore.html

Quote:
They will explain all of the requirements in more detail, and once you are accepted, you will be able to download iTunes Producer, which is the program you will use to upload your EPUB files to Apple. You can choose to apply DRM to your titles, or you can leave them DRM free.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Amazon doesn't require it when using DTP to upload books, but for publishers uploading through Mobipocket DRM is required.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I thought once you uploaded to Smashwords, they prepared the files for all the different distributors including Apple. Am I wrong?

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycedb View Post
I thought once you uploaded to Smashwords, they prepared the files for all the different distributors including Apple. Am I wrong?

Joyce
Hmmm, maybe you only get the choice if you upload it directly to Apple..maybe Smashwords has a DRM only deal with Apple?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Now what I can't figure out is why they *won't* sell it without DRM. It makes no sense. I can see them happily selling stuff that the artist/author/company/etc demanded DRM on, but why make it mandatory, even if you don't want it? That's like telling someone they have to buy a car, even if they don't want or need one.
I suspect it's part of their ebook production/sale protocol: Customer adds to cart, clicks "pay now;" books are shoved through DRM-infliction program & made ready for download. They may not have a way to process books without the DRM. (And they won't directly allow authors to include a paragraph that says "you have my permission to crack the DRM here; it's not a violation of my copyright to do so," although they're not actively checking for such disclaimers.)

Someone should find out if Smashwords books fed to the iBookstore are automatically DRM'd.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
Cory Doctorow posted an interesting article about his attempts to get all the major ebook publishers to publish his books DRM free.

Apple refused to sell the books without DRM (I can't say I'm surprised at that), and so did Sony.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/08/29...+(Boing+Boing)
This has been discussed before, and the article is at least misleading. Apple do not insist on DRM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
This has been discussed before, and the article is at least misleading. Apple do not insist on DRM.
Does it, perhaps, insist on DRM for ebooks from major publishers?

I don't discount the idea that Cory might be exaggerating or only mentioning part of the details, but I don't think he's outright lying when he says that Apple & Sony won't carry his ebooks without DRM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
If an author doesn't want a DRM, so who the heck is DRM protecting? Does it means also that the copyright is not to protect the authors, but the publishers instead? That's what I think.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij View Post
If an author doesn't want a DRM, so who the heck is DRM protecting? Does it means also that the copyright is not to protect the authors, but the publishers instead? That's what I think.
In this case, it's not even protecting the publisher--the publisher is agreeing to not have DRM. It's encouraging consumer lock-in to the store.

The store doesn't want customers to be able to easily shop for the cheapest ebooks; they want to offer a few cheap books, and have customers *need* to buy from them because the software or hardware they have doesn't work on books from other stores. They don't want customers to have a mixed collection of books from many stores (and be able to compare metadata accuracy, filename usability, formatting details); they want customers to use THEIR software and buy from THEIR store only.

DRM does a lot more to create walled-garden shopping than it does to prevent piracy.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Elfwreck has it spot on here, I believe. I know of a lot of businesses that would LOVE to lock you in so that they are your only choice. What do you think the purpose of the Kindle is? It's designed to lock you in as a customer of Amazon for as long as you own the ebooks. It's essentially the monopoly mentality. They don't want to be the biggest game in town. They want to be the ONLY game in town, period. It's an idea that's part of human nature, so I doubt it'll be easily broken, save for people forcing the issue.

Last edited by Jellby; 08-31-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fixed markup
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote