Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Suggestions for Mods....

I've noticed a lot of new members lately.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier for people to introduce themselves if the "welcome" sticky , with a linky to the "introduce yourself" forum was permanently posted on the home page, in a highly visible location.

Lots of 'newbies' aren't very computer savvy, and I'm thinking maybe when they first get here they are overwhelmed by the choices.

Just a thought.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 01-20-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: sp.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
desertgrandma, you're speaking out of my heart. In fact, we would like to redo a lot of things soon to make MR more approachable.

Guiding links is one aspect. I also believe the frontpage needs some serious overhaul - something I have been considering for a while. Not sure if this could make an interesting contest...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
desertgrandma, you're speaking out of my heart. In fact, we would like to redo a lot of things soon to make MR more approachable.

Guiding links is one aspect. I also believe the frontpage needs some serious overhaul - something I have been considering for a while. Not sure if this could make an interesting contest...
Well another possibility would be to show a prompt after a person has registered saying "Go here to introduce yourself, or click here to browse the forums."
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Well another possibility would be to show a prompt after a person has registered saying "Go here to introduce yourself, or click here to browse the forums."
Good, but first the person has to know where to go to register.
Now, I'm not saying its impossible or even very difficult to find, but I am saying lots of people see the page and don't know where to start. I was there once.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Good, but first the person has to know where to go to register.
Now, I'm not saying its impossible or even very difficult to find, but I am saying lots of people see the page and don't know where to start. I was there once.
Ahh gotcha!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
One website I was on recently wouldn't let you post anywhere else until you'd posted at least once in the "introduce yourself" forum. I think that was a bit over the top, personally. But they also had a message with links to FAQs and other commonly needed threads that would display at the top of the page until the user had posted 10 times. That's a thought.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
they also had a message with links to FAQs and other commonly needed threads that would display at the top of the page until the user had posted 10 times. That's a thought.
that seems like a good idea. off hand, i would say we should include links to the wiki, the e-ink matrix, the "which one should i buy ?" forum... and probably some others.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What? No Silliness threads???
Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
What? No Silliness threads???

We want to keep them here as long as possible before subjecting them to that, don't we? The longer they're here, the less chance they go running into the woods in terror.....
Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

But... isn't that why people come here? Or at least stay here?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
One website I was on recently wouldn't let you post anywhere else until you'd posted at least once in the "introduce yourself" forum. I think that was a bit over the top, personally. But they also had a message with links to FAQs and other commonly needed threads that would display at the top of the page until the user had posted 10 times. That's a thought.
Hmm, I know one where you can post in existing threads, but not create new threads until you've made a few posts.

Quote:
But... isn't that why people come here? Or at least stay here?
Well, not everybody is as crazy as some of us new ones...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that seems like a good idea. off hand, i would say we should include links to the wiki, the e-ink matrix, the "which one should i buy ?" forum... and probably some others.
Yes! It would be a great help if the wiki was more prominently displayed (it took some time for me to find it -- think I stumbled across a link in the 'which one should I buy' thread). It is kinda hidden up at the top of the page.

Many of us newbies have found the forum by a google search when looking for specific information. So it would be useful to have a section for 'beginners' which included an introduce your self thread, links to wiki, the matrix and possibly how to post / navigate round the forum threads as well as register.

** Actually, having said that, I think this forum is very well laid out and visually appealing compared to many I've seen. Topics are organised in a logical manner and it is reasonably easy to find what you're looking for.

I also think your banter in the lounge is quite entertaining to those of us who are new around here, but perhaps newbies aren't sure about joining in with a such as friendly and jovial group.

Last edited by Curly; 01-21-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I also think your banter in the lounge is quite entertaining to those of us who are new around here, but perhaps newbies aren't sure about joining in with a such as friendly and jovial group.

Please!!! Just take a deep breath and jump in whenever you choose. We love new vic............uh.....contributors!
Seriously, the more the merrier.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
(nice smilies here by the way)
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Select specific forums to display on forums page

It would be nice, although adding space to user profiles, if you had a switch to turn on or off for each forum that you want displayed on the MobileRead Forums page. The MobileRead Forums page is getting so long I have to page down too often to get where I want to go. I know there are a few shortcuts but...there are some devices and some formats that I am never going to use and I could probably shorten *my* forums to one page.

(please don't tell me this is already possible, no yes please do?)

I don't know if this would be easy or tough or take up too much space, just dreaming here.

*edit* I just collapsed some of the forum headings on my MobileRead Forums page that I never use or seldom use. This makes for a shorter and cleaner page for me.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-21-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote