Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #2701
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Skin Game (The Dresden Files) [Kindle Edition]

No release date
No cover
No description
No price

But at least a listing! It's progress!

I think I saw that before, and I refuse to believe in it until it can be found on the website search. Currently it is a hidden page, a mere placeholder, and is thus Pasul HaEidus, a Mamzer D'Oraisa.

Jim Butcher still hasn't announced a publication date, so there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The irrational optimist believes Skin Game will be released in:
28 DAYS!

(Slightly changed my message to satisfy certain party poopers -- I'm looking at you, JSWolf, you curmudgeon, you!)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #2702
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Publisher: Orbit (January 16, 2014)

I believe that date more then I do December 3, 2014.

And I am waiting for one big "I told you so". I'm looking at you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #2703
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Publisher: Orbit (January 16, 2014)

I believe that date more then I do December 3, 2014.

And I am waiting for one big "I told you so". I'm looking at you.
To which I can only say,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
It's mostly a long running joke, not a hardcore belief.
Plus if it comes out in a month then bonus. If not who cares? We'll just update the countdown.
Look, we've been over this before.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #2704
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I think I saw that before, and I refuse to believe in it until it can be found on the website search. Currently it is a hidden page, a mere placeholder, and is thus Pasul HaEidus, a Mamzer D'Oraisa.

Jim Butcher still hasn't announced a publication date, so there!
I'm with you! We gotta stick together

...and IF we are incorrect (which I will not admit until absolutely necessary) then a new countdown shall begin
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #2705
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I should probably offer a translation. Pasul HaEidus is hebrew for "a person who is invalidated for testimony in a court of law" and is a general Jewish joke for people/things that a wrong/in disagreement with you.
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #2706
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Blasting rods...

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #2707
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The irrational optimist believes Skin Game will be released in:
27 DAYS!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #2708
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I don't know if I should say that here ... but either date will be fine with me ... on my second re-read now and in the middle of "Death Masks" ... so it will be some time for me to finish that, 27 days might not be enough.

But, of course I wish that it comes out as quick as possible ... for all of you out there :-)

Any date on "The Aeronaut's Windlass" yet?

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #2709
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Like a lot of folks here I'm always looking for new urban fantasy to hold me over until the next Dresden Files book. I just finished the first book of Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers Of London series and think Dresden fans would probably enjoy it. It's thoroughly British and the language differences occasionally take a little puzzling out, but I think that adds to the enjoyment. It's something different and refreshing.
Quote:
Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #2710
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
CarlD,

I second the suggestion for "Rivers of London" - wonderful humour in that book!

Also, take a look at (as has also been suggested in this here thread, if I am not mistaken) the books by Benedict Jacka ... "Chosen", "Cursed", "Taken" and another one the name of which I have forgotten.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #2711
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
I third it
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #2712
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Jim Butcher quotes...

“When everything goes to
hell, the people who stand
by you without flinching
-- they are your family. ”
.....― Jim Butcher

Last edited by alansplace; 11-06-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: oops!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #2713
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
CarlD,

Also, take a look at (as has also been suggested in this here thread, if I am not mistaken) the books by Benedict Jacka ... "Chosen", "Cursed", "Taken" and another one the name of which I have forgotten.

Best regards,
Andy
Fated, Cursed, Taken, Chosen -- yeah, they are really good and Alex Verus is highly reminiscent of Harry Dresden.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #2714
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool my annual re-read

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
My re-read of Changes was just plain awesome! I've skipped all the associated short stories during this re-read, So I've decided to add them here toward the end of the re-read. There are 7 short stories (Curses, Even Hand, AAAA Wizardry, B is for Bigfoot, I Was a Teenage Bigfoot, Bigfoot on Campus and Bombshells) that I'm aware of that haven't yet made it into a Dresden Files collection including Bombshells, which hasn't yet been published anywhere (will be in December). And then there's Side Jobs (Stories From the Dresden Files) which I'm reading next.
I just finished re-reading Side Jobs and was going to follow it with Ghost Story but instead I've decided to first re-read the 6 short stories (Curses, Even Hand, AAAA Wizardry, B is for Bigfoot, I Was a Teenage Bigfoot and Bigfoot on Campus that have only been published in separate anthologies) and the excerpt from Bombshells (which will be published on December 3rd) first.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #2715
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher quotes...

“Are you always a smartass?'

Nope. Sometimes I'm asleep.”
― Jim Butcher, Blood Rites

Last edited by alansplace; 11-08-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: add links...

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy