Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Acer A100 7" released in the US today.

Hmm.. the perfect device a 7" Tegra2 Honeycomb(HC) 3.2 tablet with 1GB RAM. Gives you the best of both worlds acts like an eReader and a tablet. Making it easy to carry to pick up that quick read, works with over 200K apps since Android apps scale up nicely. And can take advantage of HC specific apps.
Starting price is $329 for 8GB model and only $20 more for the 16GB version.

This devices has gotten mostly positive reviews the only complains are the battery life, 4hrs and the Kindle app does not work properly--must be a HC issue since the kindle on my nook works perfect.

Quote:
(PC MAG)The Acer Iconia A100 is one of our favorite tablets so far. It's great for watching movies, video chatting, surfing the Web and playing with apps, until its teeny-tiny battery runs out. If it weren't for that battery life result, this would be an absolute Editors' Choice for Android tablets. For now, it's just the sweetest slice of Honeycomb we've seen yet. (more...)
Quote:
(Engadet)But because of its more e-reader-like shape, it feels deceptively lighter than the Flyer. At 4.6 inches tall, it's narrower in portrait mode, making it that much easier to cradle with two hands and pound out emails using both thumbs. But with a width of 7.68 inches, it stretches farther in landscape mode, which means, conversely, that depending on the size of your hands, you might feel a bit more of a stretch in your fingers while tapping onscreen objects(more...)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Wow, 4 hours of battery life. They should include an extra battery in the package. Then again I guess you can't swap out a battery like you can with many cell phones.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yep, 4 hour battery is a show stopper for me too. Otherwise, I like 7" tabs, and wish Samsung would upgrade the SGT to HC 3.2.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yep, 4 hour battery is a show stopper for me too. Otherwise, I like 7" tabs, and wish Samsung would upgrade the SGT to HC 3.2.
It's not going to happen. Rumors have it that Samsung is going to release a 7" AMOLED screen tablet this Oct/Nov. They are not going to invest time in an older product when they have the follow up model coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wow, 4 hours of battery life. They should include an extra battery in the package. Then again I guess you can't swap out a battery like you can with many cell phones.
Yes 4hrs is horrible. I suspect the battery is where Acer cut corners to bring the price down.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I suspect the battery is where Acer cut corners to bring the price down.
The only folks I can see purchasing this are those who don't do any research. Hope that's enough.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
The Kindle app works perfectly on my acer iconia A500 with HC, so it is not a HC problem. weird.

I don't understand why acer had to go for batteries that bad in the A100. They use a good one on the A500 (I get a whole day out of mine, with wifi off half the time because I am either reading or playing crosswords and such).

The size is really interesting, I'd love a tablet with HC in 7 or 8" format, but it would have to be a mini a500 - with the USB port too, and not only the micro, and the 32 GB on board - and that is not going to happen......
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
According to engadget, the battery life was 5 hours with constant video, brightness at 50%, and wifi on. I think for ereading (with the brightness turned down and wifi possibly off) or even web surfing, the battery life would be a lot different. Also it sports 3.2, not 3.1. The kindle app may not be updated for that yet.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote