Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)
MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Better question is what DOESN'T this family have?! Current: Kindle PW
Help this pregnant Momma out! NST Glow vs PW

Hello

I am coming here to seek advice because I literally think I have driven myself half crazy trying to make a decision.

I currently own a Nook SimpleTouch and love it. The problem is I read A LOT at night - my toddler goes to bed and I crawl into bed to relax before I fall asleep. We have 1 light in my bedroom and it's overhead - it's crap. It's very dark all through my house actually lol so I literally have a hard time finding a place to read in my house (all 800 sq ft of it!) I have a 'reading light' that I use for crochet but it blinds me at night (it's one large LED ... not conducive for reading it's a craft light)

I would like to get an e-reader that has a built in light. My current ST I use a cover that has a light, but I find it to be harsh and uneven and that's when it's working because my son hasn't turned it on and left it to die :X

I have been looking at both a Nook ST with Glowlight and a Kindle PW. I am not afraid of crossovers because I read lots of PDF books and I may or may not have taken the DRM off of my books so I am not worried about sticking with one or the other. I have an iPad as well so I am really just wanting this FOR READING and I am not concerned about Apps, etc.

The only thing I am concerned about with the PW is the lack of storage. Since I don't always purchase books through Amazon (sometimes other retailers) would I quickly run into a storage issue since I do not have an SD slot? Also, several books I have are e-pub which I know Kindle doesn't support but with Calibre I believe I could solve that issue.

Sorry for the book - I appreciate any input or help. Trying to get some reading in before #2 arrives in June!
MrsAmandaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
As far as the light, I think it's a tossup. I like the Nook Glow. I like the PW. I bought my Mom a PW for several reasons - she didn't need the extra storage and I didn't know that they were going to lower the price on the Glow. I personally think that the Glow is a little sturdier and easier to hold on to without a cover - a possible plus for you with a toddler. Since getting an SD for my ST, I totally want to stick with that - so much easier.

I've been testing my Mom's PW and really like having that light. She's going to love this.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I haven't used a PW, but I have had a nook touch since launch and a nook glow for about 6 weeks now. Although the light on the nook glow is not perfectly even, it is reasonable even and while reading you don't notice any issues. It is by far more convenient than a side light while reading at night, but the best advantage of the glow is that you can read in where you couldn't before - for instance, while commuting, the ambient light sometimes is pretty bad (especially here in Autumn/Winter, where we get our fair share of clouds and rain), so turning on the light makes it possible to read whereas I would have to pass with the nook touch.

I can't see myself going back to a non-lit reader, it is a great feature to have and, after the price drop, a no brainer.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)
MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
As far as the light, I think it's a tossup. I like the Nook Glow. I like the PW. I bought my Mom a PW for several reasons - she didn't need the extra storage and I didn't know that they were going to lower the price on the Glow. I personally think that the Glow is a little sturdier and easier to hold on to without a cover - a possible plus for you with a toddler. Since getting an SD for my ST, I totally want to stick with that - so much easier.

I've been testing my Mom's PW and really like having that light. She's going to love this.
That is where I sort of feel like I am - I just need to pull the trigger and decide.

and to @afv011 I have been eyeballing the ST Glow since it came out, but I had literally JUST bought my ST 2 months before it came out and couldn't justify the $140. When it dropped last week *or week before can't remember* I decided it was worth it.

Hubby said "You don't read enough to justify the expense" to which I replied "Well maybe if I could SEE to read I would"
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)

Does anyone else with a Kindle PW manage their books on the computer - a.k.a. put what you want on the PW but otherwise leave it on the computer?

That was my solution to a storage issue lol
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAmandaK View Post
Does anyone else with a Kindle PW manage their books on the computer - a.k.a. put what you want on the PW but otherwise leave it on the computer?
I don't have a PW, but that's exactly how I manage my books. Calibre is terrific at managing your library, far better than any e-reader can possibly be, so why not use it instead of trying to manage your entire library on your e-reader?

It's also very easy to keep back-ups of your library, thanks to the tips on here I now have my Calibre library in my dropbox folder, and that way it's automatically up to date without me having to do a thing.

However, if you do want to store a lot of books on your e-reader, bear in mind even the limited storage of the Paperwhite will allow you to have about 1000 books on there. There are other options though, what about the Kobo Glo, as you can use an SD Card with it?

Neither the Kobo Glo nor the Paperwhite are perfect, but both look to have very clearly improved the light over what the Nook Glowlight offers. Although, if you like the page turn buttons on your Nook, it's the only one that offers that!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I don't have a PW, but that's exactly how I manage my books. Calibre is terrific at managing your library, far better than any e-reader can possibly be, so why not use it instead of trying to manage your entire library on your e-reader?

It's also very easy to keep back-ups of your library, thanks to the tips on here I now have my Calibre library in my dropbox folder, and that way it's automatically up to date without me having to do a thing.

However, if you do want to store a lot of books on your e-reader, bear in mind even the limited storage of the Paperwhite will allow you to have about 1000 books on there. There are other options though, what about the Kobo Glo, as you can use an SD Card with it?

Neither the Kobo Glo nor the Paperwhite are perfect, but both look to have very clearly improved the light over what the Nook Glowlight offers. Although, if you like the page turn buttons on your Nook, it's the only one that offers that!
I had not even considered Dropbox to be honest and I really don't know why. I will definitely look into that. I picked up a Paperwhite this morning at Best Buy and so far I am happy with it - if only my husband could remember our pw for the wifi lol
Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I have a Nook Glow and I bought a Paperwhite which I returned the next day. The Paperwhite had some screen issues, large shadows which were much more pronounced that the shadow effect from the Nook. The main reason I returned it however, since I felt I could return the Kindle for another with a better screen, was looking at the two, the Nook and the good part of the Kindle screen at night with the lights off. I could not see a reason that would justify the extra expense of adding another e-reader.

The marketing makes it out to be a whole new reading experience but from my point of view, very similar reading experience and I like the option of having page turning buttons.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have the Nook Glow and was tempted enough by the PW to take a look at it at Best Buy. The lighting looked okay but there wasn't enough difference between the Nook and the Kindle screen-wise to justify switching over. There was definitely more contrast on the PW, but I kinda found the text on the Nook to be crisper. I much prefer the fonts on the Nook so that could have colored my opinion. One major thing that I love about Nooks that's very minor for most is that I can easily jump into different parts of a book with the scroll bar without having to go through a menu and type in page numbers. The in-book options on the Nook just seem more intuitive and straight-forward, but that's just me.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Would you like to very easily get books you already have on your new e-reader, or would you like to continue using the ST for nook books and have a new one to access the Kindle store? Does which store you use make a difference to you?
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The best purchase I made before my baby boy was born was an iPad. I have used it while feeding he little guy and trying to get him to sleep. I have his food, poop, and sleep records on it. I read, play games, and watch videos. I have all my music on it so we can listen to music on it where ever we are. Snuggle Puppy on demand. The Nook Tablet or Amazon Fire are not that much more than the glow readers and they are more versatile.

Just a thought
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote