Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
jaythebull
jaythebull began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Shopping for new ebook reader

Hello - new here to the site and ereaders in general.

I have been pouring over this site for a few days now. And as far as deciding which reader I want. I feel like I am still at day one.

I am leaning towards the Sony reader - but the PDF issues are almost a deal breaker. The Kindle looks 'neat' - but I have sold most of my soul to Amazon already. I do like the idea of being able to send them a PDF and have them send it to the reader.

I am open to ideas, suggestions, and what not.

Thanks!
jaythebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Jay,

First off, you're better of calling it an "eBook Reader". "eReader" is the name of a specific eBook file format, and it can cause great confusion to use it as a device name too.

If PDFs are vital to you (and I'm sure I don't need to tell you that they are a terrible choice for an eBook format!) then really your best choice by far is the iRex iLiad. It has an 8" screen and handles PDFs far, far better than any of the 6" screen devices do.

The Sony Reader and the CyBook Gen3 will both display PDFs natively; the Kindle requires them to be converted, as I'm sure you know. Conversion does not always work well.

The main benefit of the Kindle is access to Amazon's large range of books, of course, but the Kindle is only available in the US. The iLiad and Gen3 will both read MobiPocket books, which is the most popular format is terms of the number of eBook stores to choose from. The Kindle will read DRM-free MobiPocket books too. The Kindle, Gen3, and iLiad all support dictionary lookup (extremely useful!); the Sony doesn't. The Gen3 is unique in allowing you to load whatever fonts you wish onto the machine.

There's really no "best" choice. You have to decide what your priorities are and choose accordingly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythebull View Post
Hello - new here to the site and ereaders in general.

I have been pouring over this site for a few days now. And as far as deciding which reader I want. I feel like I am still at day one.

I am leaning towards the Sony reader - but the PDF issues are almost a deal breaker. The Kindle looks 'neat' - but I have sold most of my soul to Amazon already. I do like the idea of being able to send them a PDF and have them send it to the reader.

I am open to ideas, suggestions, and what not.

Thanks!
welcome, I suggest you check the MR wiki (It has a link at the top of the page). All of the choices are represented there and you can check the features and compare. don't miss the https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix. Over 200,000 people have studied this page.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Welcome... and stop pouring, you'll get the squirrels wet. I too went through much angst, and when I finally decided on a device, guess what? It doesn't matter, because in the end I'm reading books. As someone here recently said (I can't recall who, sorry, or I'd give proper credit) "the device disappears".

I guess I'm giving this caution: do your research, check out book sources for the various devices, make a decision on this PDF thing, but don't do SO much research and dithering that you build up unrealistic expectations of what these things do. It's all about the books, baby.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-16-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added the hyperlink to DrMoze's post.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
jaythebull

Thanks for the help and the clarification on just what to call these things.

I ended up ordering a Kindle. I was putting way too much in to the thought process as Taylor mentioned. Again thanks for the help.

Jay
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congrats! I know you must be excited! Any idea when it will be delivered? And what's the first book you want to get via Whispernet?

Last edited by DixieGal; 05-16-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: ... I heard the tradewind in the trees whisper net net net ....
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
jaythebull

I have not received a shipping notice yet. They do say they are in stock and it is two day shipping. So hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday. Not sure what book yet - I was just over there browsing the Kindle selection. This is really going to ratchet my book addiction up big time!
Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
LOL! Sorry, that should have said "emotifaction" - long story, you'll see the thread. Look for the guy in the robot suit!

I got mine for Christmas, and I read so much so quickly that they all run togther in my memory now. Which means I can re-read them and it will be like having a whole new bunch of books.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Don't forget to check out the free Mobipocket books right here at MobileRead--they will work on the Kindle and there's lots of great stuff there. Enjoy your Kindle!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote