Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
rb49
rb49 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Short question - accents

(I continue to enjoy this forum.)

I convert a lot of text for the Reader (primarily with BookDesigner) and am on the whole very satisfied. From time to time, however, I attempt to convert text from another language (German, Swedish, French) and umlauted letters, acute or grave accents or a-rings come out as gobbeldygook. Is there some way to remedy this? Or, is there any other converter (not the PDF route) to do foreign language conversions?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

~ Rb
rb49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
If you want to use foreign languages, you need fonts that can support this. PDF will work, because you can embed fonts with PDF. I've seen people uploading fonts to their reader or embedding fonts in LRF files on the forum, use the search feature, you should find the right topics.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I've seen this too sometimes on RTF files a special letter with an accent or something will show up as a ? instead. But later in the book the same letter will show up correctly. Not sure why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb49
(I continue to enjoy this forum.)

I convert a lot of text for the Reader (primarily with BookDesigner) and am on the whole very satisfied. From time to time, however, I attempt to convert text from another language (German, Swedish, French) and umlauted letters, acute or grave accents or a-rings come out as gobbeldygook. Is there some way to remedy this? Or, is there any other converter (not the PDF route) to do foreign language conversions?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

~ Rb
Bookdesigner has an option for language. I use "french" most of the time sine a lot of my books have french accents. Just choose the right language, and it should do right for you.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:25 AM   #5
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
It is important to use a unicode font such as Lucida Sans Unicode or Arial Unicode MS.

Many fonts do not support the UTF-8 standard which represents nearly every character to be found in the world.

Last edited by Moonraker; 03-08-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
funetiks
funetiks began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony, HiEbook, REB
Commonly used glyphs (e.g., é, ü, â) are included in almost every computer font, not just unicode fonts. I've had trouble getting these symbols to render correctly on the Sony Reader (they work fine on my Hiebook and Gemstar readers).
funetiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
They render correctly on my EBookwise too using Times New Roman in the original RTF file.

But then I have only ever needed to use the common accented characters.

It looks like the problem is down to the Sony Reader -- surely a software update from Sony could fix this?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
rb49, it appears to be a problem with Book Designer and HTML Entities. I've posted in the Book Designer thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&goto=lastpost about the problem. BBeBinder and HTML2LRF work fine with accented characters.
Are you using HTML entities like '&#228 ;' ?
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK
rb49, it appears to be a problem with Book Designer and HTML Entities. I've posted in the Book Designer thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&goto=lastpost about the problem. BBeBinder and HTML2LRF work fine with accented characters.
Are you using HTML entities like '&#228 ;' ?
These HTML entities are just encoded unicode characters. You can easily replace them with their unicode equivalent.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote