Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
f1nkster
f1nkster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Sharing/saving articles in news downloads for Kindle

A frustration I have with my Kindle and with calibre news downloads is when I find an article that I either:
- want to save for future reference, or
- want to share the url with a friend

Currently, for articles I want to save, I clip the article in the Kindle so that I will remember it later, then I view the ebook in the calibre ebook viewer, find the article, then cut-and-paste it into Evernote. I do this to preserve the formatting. The clipping file on the Kindle is straight, unformatted text.

For sharing urls, I go back to my laptop, find the article on the original web site, then share it.

I would love to automate these activities somehow.

It occurred to me that appending the article url to each article in the news download would help. Then I could clip the article in the Kindle, write a script to extract the urls, and go from there with either adding to Evernote or emailing it to a friend. I may even be able to launch the URL in the Kindle for sharing with a friend via the Kindle browser.

I am open to other ideas however.

On the article url idea, is there a way to add the article url to each article as they are downloaded and the ebook is created? Obviously will need to modify the recipes. Is there a way to do this in a generic way that can be easily added to each recipe? I use many recipes and am hoping this won't be a completely custom thing for each recipe.
f1nkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the recipe system automatically appends the article URL to each downloaded article with the text

This article was downloaded from ...

Except for the Kindle. Change your output profile to a non Kindle profile and you will see it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
f1nkster

Yep, I see it. I used EPUB. Exactly what I want -- only on the Kindle.

When I download the file to the Kindle, it prompts me to convert it. Any way to auto-convert without the prompt? The prompt breaks automation.

I am also concerned that if I email the EPUB file to my kindle account, I may lose the TOC I like so much from calibre. This would be a dealbreaker.

Any reason why you can't add the url to the MOBI output? Is it legal, or a limitation of the format? And no way to do it in the recipe (or perhaps no generic way to do it)?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's part of the navbar which is disabled for kindle specific downloads in favor of the kindle's builtin navigation. It can certainly be re-added, as a separate module but that would require code changes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
f1nkster

Ok, glad to learn that before I spend a lot of time on it. I do like the Kindle navigation, the TOC, etc. I wouldn't want to lose that. I just want the URL, say, at the top or bottom of the article for reference.

Thanks for your time, and extremely quick response.
Advert