Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Android App/Location Syncing

Not sure if this is Vox specific or if anyone with other devices are seeing this

Got an update for the Android app this morning and now location syncing is not working with my Vox

Currently reading a book on my Vox, 51% through it, clicked on Library tab and it has done all its syncing

Open the new version of the Android app, it does its updating, open the book I am reading and it starts at page one

Anyone else seeing this on the Vox or other Kobo devices?

EDIT:Android app is now a battery drainer, used 25% of my battery today and I have used it for less than half an hour, used to be about 2% of battery

Last edited by paulsalter; 08-29-2012 at 11:15 AM.
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have the Android App running on N7--no problems with location, that I can tell. The battery usage % in mine depends on what other apps I am using/have working simultaneously. Also on how much downloading of books, apps etc. When all I have open is the Kobo App, naturally enough, the % of battery use assigned to that app increases. It's like the % assigned to the screen usage. That too varies depending on what I am doing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for reply, battery seems ok today, must have been doing something in the background yesterday.

Do you mind doing a quick test for me, will prove if I have corruption somewhere causing an issue

read something on your Vox
then go to library module and get it to do a sync/refresh
now open up kobo app on your N7 (make sure it updates library) and open the same book

When i do this on my N7 (also my Galaxy S2) it goes to page 1 as though I am just starting the book

Thanks

EDIT:This is with version 4.3 of Android app on N7

Last edited by paulsalter; 08-30-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I had this happen one time last night between the Touch and the N7. I thought the server was hiccuping (maybe because of all the updates?) as it was a book I had not yet read on the N7. Sync seemed fine this AM. I can't check until I get home tonight (and charge my Vox, which doesn't get much use these days).

I just checked on my Nexus S phone and the bookmark was where it was supposed to be It was a fresh download for the book on that device, which leads me to believe that it really was server related last night.

EDIT: I did notice that when the update installed on my phone, only the open books were there, the books that I had paused and not downloaded had to call home to the server again to have the covers downloaded so they could be paused again.

Last edited by taming; 08-30-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I had the return to start of book when I opened the update app this morning on my nexus phone, and again when I went read on my N7 at noon.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
paulsalter
Fanatic

Cheers for replies, just wondering if the database has slightly changed for the kobo apps making it not fully compatible with the Vox (unsure about other kobo devices)

I get 100% failure of location syncing between Vox and the Android App (Android always goes to beginning after reading on Vox)

I have logged an issue with Kobo so see if they come up with anything (did notice in the app store reviews that others have syncing problems also)
Old 08-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually I just went to use kobo on my phone while I was waiting for something and it reset to page one again, so it doesn't seem to be limited to the vox.....
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
paulsalter
Fanatic

As per the response from Kobo I have cleared cache, removed and re installed the app

This makes no difference, now the joy of sorting out my library, majority of which needs to be marked as read
Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist

Actually I just fixed it another way on my systems; went into the book and of course it started me at page 1; went back to my chapter and exited out. On the same device, went back into kobo and again it starts at page one, but then I get a message saying it looks like I had been reading elsewhere, do I want to go to the last read page, and I agree. That device will now update properly. I had to do the exact same thing on m second device and now when I switch to one or the other, I get the message that I had been reading elsewhere and am given a choice.....pain in the #ss to get it working again though....
Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
paulsalter
Fanatic

Thanks for that, just going to try now

I did see that message once yesterday about reading somewhere else, but I couldn't get it to appear again

EDIT:Still cant get it working for me, I can set my page in the android app and it remembers it, but as soon as I read on the vox, next time I use android app its onto page one again

Last edited by paulsalter; 08-31-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist

Yeah; guess I spoke too soon because it just happened again.....
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
paulsalter
Fanatic

I have sent all the info to kobo that they asked for, and also what I do when the problem occurs
Unfortunately I dont get a response from them until around 10:30pm UK time, so I need to wait another day if they have any suggestions
Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
paulsalter
Fanatic

Kobo have confirmed it is an issue with the latest android version

Been impressed with how quickly they have done this, hope it's as quick to issue a fix
Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #14
paulsalter
Fanatic

my impression of kobo is now going downhill, they are now ignoring me

their loss, plenty of other places to buy books, not buying anymore from kobo till this is fixed