Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #76
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
If I take my NWGL outside the house, it goes in its cover.

More fragile or not, I am not going back to a non-lit screen. I'm reading much more with the NWGL than I did before, and that's what is important to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Agreed, it's a wonderful device. Even in situations where the light is not that bad, turning on the glow light makes a significant difference.
I began reading ebooks on LCD backlit devices and resisted being an eink convert primarily due to the fact that eink reading in dim light was a chore and produced less than stellar results.

My impression of the Nook ST with glowlight is that it is a KEEPER! I tried reading on my iLiad with a night light, or my Sony PRS-T1 with its case light and nothing compares to the LCD experience as does reading on my NSTG. Its variable glow intensity makes it easy to adapt to darken rooms to suit ones preferences.

Even though I gather that it may be fragile and susceptible to damage, I try to protect it as best I can with a sturdy cover and GREAT respect. Much the same as I did with my first ebook reader, the RCA REB1200. It was never crushed, sandwiched, man-handled nor left anywhere where it was exposed to "accidents waiting to happen".

I revere my NSTG with that same respect as I am thrilled to be able to finally read in bed with an eink device that is better than an LCD device.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #77
Lord Mahoney
Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Kindle Keyboard
Devices with backlights/frontlights will always have physical differences from the devices without. It's been like that since the Game Boy Light. Sometimes it involves compromises like dust getting in, layers not being vacuum tight, and yes, added fragility.

You just have to weigh the benefits of having the light. Is it a necessity for you? If yes, just be a little more careful with your device, that's all.

Last edited by Lord Mahoney; 09-30-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #78
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Still glad I avoided the Glow light. Its so rare I even use my nook anymore. Of course, I will always keep it on hand Just in case, BUT,

Found Reading on my computer much easier, And i can Put on a set of wireless headphones, and have the book read to me while I putter around the house.

With a 24 inch monitor, I can Really fly through a book.

On the other side, Not seeing many issues with the new nook glow light, thats a good thing.

Oh the program I use to read on my computer, Well I paid a 100 bucks for with lifetime updates, So in short, I have "2" nook type devices.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #79
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I saw my first Nook Glow today, but I was not impressed. I thought the light was not that even and it bothered my eyes. It also had a blue cast to it. I started seeing pale halos around words. This does not happen using my Sony 350 or T1 in the lighted cover. Nor did it happen on the Nook once I turned the light off.

With the light off, I prefer my Sony readers to the Nook screen.

I'd like to see the Kobo and Kindle interpretations, but it may be this kind of lighting is not for my eyes.

I like the idea of a lighted reader, but the Nook didn't convince me
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #80
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I saw my first Nook Glow today, but I was not impressed. I thought the light was not that even and it bothered my eyes. It also had a blue cast to it. I started seeing pale halos around words. This does not happen using my Sony 350 or T1 in the lighted cover. Nor did it happen on the Nook once I turned the light off.

With the light off, I prefer my Sony readers to the Nook screen.

I'd like to see the Kobo and Kindle interpretations, but it may be this kind of lighting is not for my eyes.

I like the idea of a lighted reader, but the Nook didn't convince me.
There is a video in the link below that shows the kindle paperwhite and the Nook Glow in a dark room. The paperwhite lighting is more even and white, whereas the lighting of the Nook Glowlight is bluish.

Comparison between the Nook Glowlight and the Paperwhite starts at around 5:00.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/30/a...rwhite-review/
Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #81
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
There is a video in the link below that shows the kindle paperwhite and the Nook Glow in a dark room. The paperwhite lighting is more even and white, whereas the lighting of the Nook Glowlight is bluish.

Comparison between the Nook Glowlight and the Paperwhite starts at around 5:00.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/30/a...rwhite-review/
I will still want to see in person. My eyes are very fussy. The Nook also seemed to have more glare to the screen which my eyes also didn't care for, something I have not seen mentioned in reviews.

Besides, a lot of the pictures online of the new Kindle have it looking quite blue as well. I like the idea of a lighted reader, but it's not a requirement for me. I'd also like to see the Kobo variant, since it supports epub. I may just end up kicking back and enjoying the readers I have, see if Sony comes up with a lighted version next year.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #82
meco
meco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 11th gen
screen is fragile

hi,
After four months of usage with my nook glow I am very happy.But suddenly today my nook glow got couple of those dreaded light holes even though I have it in a cover and baby it.I also don't use the touch screen very much,only for unlocking and selecting books.The holes are near the bottom of the screen and not very worse now.And since I am not in U.S I can't go in for a exchange.I will wait and watch what happens in future.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #83
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm not sure the problem is specific with a Glow. I had my first kindle for about 5 months. I was holding my Kindle, tripped, but didn't fall. As I was falling, I held my Kindle to prevent it from falling. That little finger press on the screen permanently damaged the screen. Amazon was great, replacing the Kindle, but honestly, I've never owned any kind of device that was that delicate so take heed for ANY ereader.

I didn't buy a glow for myself because I don't need it. I have a good reading lamp where I do most of my reading. Oh, and I bought a Simple Touch last year at the day after christmas sale. No problems with the screen.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #84
Cheddartrek
Cheddartrek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch w/ GlowLight
I've always been a bit rough with my electronics. My old SimpleTouch Nook fell off a ski lift into the snow around a rocky area and didn't work when I picked it back up (unsurprisingly). I bought a GlowLight to replace it.

So far my only complaints about the GlowLight were present when I bought it. The text doesn't seem as dark or sharp as it did on the regular one and there's more variation in darkness/width. One of the bezels seems to dip down a bit in the middle, but I saw that in other ones so I assumed it wasn't just mine..

But I haven't treated it with kid gloves and nothing worse has happened in the several months I've had it. Granted I do keep it in a Neoprene case most of the time, but it's taken at least one minor drop from the carseat to the floor of the car with no issues.

Maybe it's more fragile than other eReaders out there, but so long as it's sturdy enough to withstand everyday stuff given that the basics (like a case) are taken care of I think that's sufficient.

It meets those criteria in my opinion but I can't speak for everyone else.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #85
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I bouoght a Kindle Paperwhite and returned it the next day due to screen issues. I looked and read both the Paperwhite and Nook Glo side by side and returned the Paperwhite. I now appreciate my Nook Glow more than ever.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #86
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I'm on the fence right now. I'm starting to have issues with one of the page turn button on my touch and I am well out of warranty. I don't know if I should upgrade to the glow or just get another st. I do read at night and use an M-edge light, but it would be nice to not have to deal with it. I am a little concerned with all the reports of hot-spots. Half the time my nook is in my back pack getting jostled around. It's in a cover, but the cover doesn't have any way to keep it closed. Basically I want one, but am convinced I'll get a hotspot.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #87
Juki654
Juki654 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook glowlight
I just got my fourth glow light today. The first three developed holes. I never dropped any of them--or dropped anything on them-- but didn't use a cover for the first two. I did use a cover for the third one but it developed a hole anyway. So I got another cover for this fourth one, even though I really don't think it will help. The first one got a hole sitting on my bedside table, and the second one got one in a separate pocket in my briefcase. The third one got a hole sitting by my bed again.

I think B&N is trying very hard to cover up this problem. I posted about it on the B&N website, but that was 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't appeared. I've been dealing with my local B&N store, and while they have been gracious and helpful, the clerks all act surprised and say they rarely see this problem. I just don't believe that.

I feel bad, as I like to support a bricks and mortar store. But I had a very inexpensive Kindle first and I really could just throw it in my purse and not worry about anything. Plus the Amazon interface is easier and more helpful, I think. Plus I've been noticing that some of the books I've checked are less expensive on Amazon--not to mention all of the free books they have.

So I'm getting the new Kindle, even though I have the 2 year warranty on this glow light. It's not worth the hassle. Too bad.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #88
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I considered switching to the Kindle PW, but I see some folks are having difficulties with their displays and it doesn't have physical page turn buttons. I'm just going to replace mine with another simple tounch sans glow.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #89
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Kindle Touch is a prettier reader than the Paperwhite. The silver color with the black bezel is nothing but class. Even the Amazon logo looks better on the Touch. The all-black Paperwhite is just plain ugly and cheap-looking. Style-wise, Amazon took a huge leap backward with the Paperwhite, although I like it better than my Touch for reading.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-25-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #90
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Not to hijack this thread with Kindle-talk, but I like my Paperwhite much better than my Kindle Touch, despite some minor screen issues (and I like the design better also).

I've never seen a GlowLight in person but comparing PW with my NOOK Simple Touch's screen (which is good), I can say that the extra resolution is something I'd want to have. I trust that B&N will have this screen in the next iteration, as the 'arms race' continues...
Closed Thread