Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
NOOK STR Frozen?

Hello. I have had my STR for about a year and until this week I have never had the battery problem some people mention. I thought maybe I did because it seemed dead after a new charge within a week or so. When I tried to connect it to my computer it made the noise it makes whenever I connect via usb. Then after a second it made this other noise like three fast different tone beeps, like something was wrong. It keeps looping that noise until I unplug it. So I connect it via wall charger, and the green light comes right on, but the STR is still frozen. So I left it plugged in for several hours. Unplugged it and it was still frozen. This was a couple days ago. I tried the above again and still get the weird noise when plugged into my computer and when I plug it into the wall it is green.

It seems to be frozen on the screen saver. This Nook is not rooted like my others, I left it stock. I believe it has the latest firmware, but it may be one behind since I usually leave the wifi off. And I do not live in the US to take it in. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Care; 06-30-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
For freezing, have you tried turning it off by holding the back button pressed? (You need to keep holding it pressed through the power off notification dialog box if your touch screen is not responsive.)

As for the weird noises when plugged in, some external drives tend to that with some USB cables. Try another USB cable if you have one.

Hope you can fix it.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Oh yes, I have tried all the power off/resets. Holding for 20 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 min, both back button and N button, back button holding over one minute, 30 seconds and releasing and holding again, and so on. It is just frozen. If I could get it to respond at all I could have a clue, but nothing. and I have been using the same cable (and others) for the whole time and it has never made this noise before. It has something to do with it being frozen...

Thanks for the reply. I have googled and searched for hours and nothing works. Oh, I also tried to clean the screen because I read that could help too.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
If your warranty is up you could always crack open the back cover and remove and reconnect the battery.

I know they say it voids the warranty but if it was me I wouldn't be able to resist trying it!
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai

My warranty is up July 24. I have to go down and visit my family in NY so I am hoping maybe I can exchange it. The thing is, it is like brand new otherwise. Not one single mark on it. Even the buttons don't look worn. I don't want a previously owned that isn't up to par with mine and I know the chances of that are slim. I was really hoping to fix my own.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I had to replace my STR 11 months into the first year. The refurb I got was in 'like new' condition. I wouldn't worry about replacing it.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I noticed this on another site:

"I have had my Simple Touch first edition a long time - since it was first released, but had not used it for a while (several weeks). When I tried to turn it on it power up, the screensaver image wouldn't even flicker. It would not reset either. I found this thread and almost decided that it was just no good. I tried charging it overnight several times. When I plugged the charger into the port at the bottom of the nook the light would come on and immediately turn green. I tried to connect it to my PC to see if I could see the files from my computer (in case only the screen was dead). Nope - The PC showed a USB device connecting then immediately disconnecting over and over. I finally tried to plug the charger from my NookColor into it, but it didn't fit. THEN I plugged the simple touch's charger back into it and the plug slid in just a little further. Immediately "The battery is too low to power on." message appeared. Apparently the mini USB plug (or whatever it is) can be plugged in enough to light up the lights but not enough to actually charge the battery. Once I got the plug to seat properly it charged just fine and has been working ever since. Hopefully this helps someone else. Wiggle the plug a little bit when you push it into the bottom of the Touch and make sure it goes in all the way."
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Care
Aes Sedai

Thanks! I actually read that too and tried different usbs and pushing it in all the way as well, but it still won't work for me. I was really hoping that was the case.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
My warranty is up July 24. I have to go down and visit my family in NY so I am hoping maybe I can exchange it. The thing is, it is like brand new otherwise. Not one single mark on it. Even the buttons don't look worn. I don't want a previously owned that isn't up to par with mine and I know the chances of that are slim. I was really hoping to fix my own.
I have purchased 3 refurbished NST's. Two were gifts and one was for my wife. My son also has a refurbished NST. All of them look and perform as brand new! I would not hesitate to buy another refurbished if and when the need arises.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Care
Aes Sedai

If I can get a refurbished unit and still keep my Square trade warranty that I purchased, then I have no problem with getting a refurbished unit. But if the warranty doesn't transfer over to the refurbished unit, then my money for the warranty was wasted since I still had the B&N Warranty. I am waiting to hear back from ST via email on how it works. I can't call from up here, the number isn't valid.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It sounds like the battery may have come unplugged from the motherboard.

http://i.techrepublic.com.com/galler...57-620-410.jpg

Last edited by Mujokan; 07-02-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Care
Aes Sedai

^^ That sounds like it may be the case.

I am just going to take it in to B&N when I get back in the US. I will get a refurbished unit I guess since it is within the first year. I am actually hoping the refurbished one will be better because it was already fixed. I read stories about how some have marks on the screen and such and I did not want anything on my screen except the ebook I am reading. After hearing some of your stories I fell better. Thanks!