Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
thefanmyj
Enthusiast
thefanmyj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch
tired eyes

Hi, All. I've been reading on my Sony Touch for over a week now. I'm noticing that my eyes feel tired. Anyone else experience this? Is it all in my head because I'm not more conscious of the act of reading now that I'm not reading from books anymore? Is this an adjustment that will pass?
thefanmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
RobbK
Ghost Hunter
RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZReader
Are you reading more than you did before you got the reader?
RobbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
thefanmyj
Enthusiast

Nope. I'm a lover of books (generally) and a grad student. Reading is my life.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Do you read under good strong light? My eyes get very tired after a few hours in front of my laptop, but never from my reader.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
What are your lighting conditions? The elink displays are great, and for most easier on the eyes than a backlit lcd screen. But, they work best with a good light source.

Are you reading more than before? I know since getting my reader I am reading much more than I was.... that could be a factor.

Have you had an eye exam the past year? Don't know your age, but as the years go by that yearly eye exam becomes more important.

It could be an adjustment period as you say. But after a week I would thing it should have settled down. Also could have something to do with the touch screen. My 300 is not a touch screen, so I have no experience with one, but many say there is more glare....

Anyway, just some random thoughts....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
thefanmyj
Enthusiast

Hmm. . . . maybe lighting is a factor. I'm getting an Oberon case soon, so I guess I'll look into some compatible reading lights. In the mean time, I'll turn more lights on in the living room at night. I read during my commute on the subway as well, but the trains are usually pretty well lit. Thanks for the fast feedback! I hope my eyes settle down soon, as I really want this to be my primary mode of reading.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I've read so much more since getting an ereading device - in fact it has really restored my love of reading and I've been cramming in 3-5 hours per day.

I haven't had any eye tiredness from reading off an e-ink screen whatsoever but I always read in good light - in our bay window during the day and under strong artificial light in the evenings so I wonder if you've been reading under conditions which may be too dim for your eyes. Perhaps try a bigger font size too.

If all else fails, I would get it checked out and have an eye examination to be on the safe side.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
My eyes did feel strain when I first started reading with the reader. What I realized was that the reader contrast was not as good as a paper book because the eInks are more gray than white. This means more light is required to increase the contrast on eInks.

There are two tricks/solution that will help reduce the strain on your eyes one is to increase the surrounding light source the second is to increase your font size. I've notice an immediate releaf when I increase the font.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
PeterR
PeterR began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-600, Kindle 2, PRS-505
That's true. Increasing font size on PRS-600 helps a lot.
I have both 300 and 600 and my eyes are much more tired on 600...
Regards
Peter
PeterR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
When I first started using my reader, I noticed that my eyes were very tired. I couldn't figure out why, as I was using the same lighting conditions that I normally used for regular paperback books. I tried using larger fonts but it didn't help much.

I finally figured out that the low lighting conditions that were acceptable for regular books were not sufficient for my eink screen. A 10 dollar clip-on lamp solved the problem, and I can now use the smallest font without experiencing any type of eye strain.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I've been addicted to my Sony reader ever since I got something loaded on it! I usually use a clip on if reading under artificial light as a boost. The energy saving bulbs in our house aren't really enough. Latterly I switched to my craft light which has a daylight bulb and has always been a lot better wrt eye fatigue. The clip on is now for reading in bed only, and I up the font to medium. I did find that I lost a couple of lines on some pages on an e-book downloaded here when on medium font. If anyone could tell me where to report this I'd be grateful!
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Just by magnifying the font its natural to lose some lines per page. Try going to the large setting and you will average about 5 words per line and you will have to read about 3 pages to equal 1 on the small view. Bigger font less room .
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I mean the words aren't on either page, back or forwards, the sentence is garbled, and I have to go back to small font to work it out. Bit annoying!
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
What format was the book? If it was a pdf, sometimes they don't reflow correctly. Try reading it with zoom instead.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote