Notices

Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
Irratzo
Enthusiast
Irratzo began at the beginning.

Device: M96, Pocketbook 903
M96: Update 2014-07-01 > Calibration > Stylus stopped working

Hi there,

my M96 worked fine, I was very content with the speed and Android OS.

Today I installed the latest update Booxtor provides above (update date 2014-07-01), everything continued to work fine. Then, as Booxtor mentioned that Calibration feature was added/improved witht this update, I tried it out. And immediately after having touched the last of the displayed calibration crosshairs, the screen didn't react to my stylus anymore.

I tried erasal of internal memory, that didn't work. With buttons, the M96 still works fine, but naturally all this is frustrating.

Does anyone (especially Booxtor, please) have a clue how I might restore the stylus' functionality? I don't want to have to send my M96 in so early again for repairs.

Thanks!

(With very small probability, perhaps the stylus just stopped working for another reason, by chance at that precise moment.)

Last edited by Irratzo; 07-14-2014 at 06:11 AM. Reason: used wrong term
Irratzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Thanks for the heads up, I will steer clear from that function.

Unfortunately I don't have a fix but I would recommend to contact your vendor directly using their channels (customer support, phone, email...) in the first place.

Just an idea, have you tried downgrading your firmware (or reinstalling if at all possible) to see if that helps. You should be able to navigate the UI without the stylus.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Irratzo
Enthusiast

machinogodzilla, thanks for the kind reply.

Downgrading the firmware:
I don't know how to do that. Suggestions or help are warmly welcomed.

I tried erasing the internal memory via the Settings > Systems > Storage (along with erasal of the SD card, although that apparently didn't work, the books on that are still there). The stylus stubbornly continues not to work.

As of now, the "Build number" remains 2014-07-01_22-17_1.6.0_c0d94aa. (The "Kernel version" is 3.0.35, also dating from "Jul 1").

I found no manual on the device (viewed from the PC, the folder "manual" was empty). Instead enquired about firmware downgrading in the M92 manual available on the Onyx site, but sadly it doesn't say anything helpful about my stubborn stylus problem .
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irratzo View Post
Hi there,

my M96 worked fine, I was very content with the speed and Android OS.

Today I installed the latest update Booxtor provides above (update date 2014-07-01), everything continued to work fine. Then, as Booxtor mentioned that Calibration feature was added/improved witht this update, I tried it out. And immediately after having touched the last of the displayed calibration crosshairs, the screen didn't react to my stylus anymore.

I tried erasal of internal memory, that didn't work. With buttons, the M96 still works fine, but naturally all this is frustrating.

Does anyone (especially Booxtor, please) have a clue how I might restore the stylus' functionality? I don't want to have to send my M96 in so early again for repairs.

Thanks!

(With very small probability, perhaps the stylus just stopped working for another reason, by chance at that precise moment.)
It is rather seldom issue. I had just one report about "lost" touch screen functionality before. Thus it is not a general bug, but something went wrong during calibration. I will try to reproduce this problem on my device.

In first step please try to reinstall current update version. It could help.
If it does not help, downgrade your device to this version: http://ereader-store.de/DATA/M96/Archive/update.zip

Last edited by Booxtor; 07-14-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
Irratzo
Enthusiast

Stylus still on vacation.
  1. Update repeat to v140701. System: Works. Stylus: Doesn't.
  2. Downgrade: System: Works. Stylus: Doesn't.
    Build number is now M96-eng 4.0.4 2014-06-27_22-40_dev_8b8d958 830 dev-keys. Kernel is now version 3.0.35.
  3. Update again to v140701. System: Works. Stylus: Doesn't.

Maybe of interest: Before this whole problem started, the calibration startup screen only showed one large button "Start" (Update v140701 was already installed as described in first post). After the calibration, when the stylus stopped working, during the whole update cycle described above the calibration startup screen remained to show two large buttons "Start" and "Reset", I checked.

Please note that yes, stylus worked perfectly before the calibration (v140701, didn't try it under the original build before that) and stopped working immediately after that (no postponement of reader use or any interim use of stylus for other purposes inbetween), just as described in the first post.

Were it not for that ominous and persistent "Reset" button on the calibration startup screen, I would have thought that a new stylus would simply be the ticket. But under these circumstances, it looks more like a lingering software error on the reader device to me, initiated by the calibration.

Last edited by Irratzo; 07-15-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: corrected typo "Downgrad"
Advert
Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irratzo View Post
Stylus still on vacation.
  1. Update repeat to v140701. System: Works. Stylus: Doesn't.
  2. Downgrade: System: Works. Stylus: Doesn't.
    Build number is now M96-eng 4.0.4 2014-06-27_22-40_dev_8b8d958 830 dev-keys. Kernel is now version 3.0.35.
  3. Update again to v140701. System: Works. Stylus: Doesn't.

Maybe of interest: Before this whole problem started, the calibration startup screen only showed one large button "Start" (Update v140701 was already installed as described in first post). After the calibration, when the stylus stopped working, during the whole update cycle described above the calibration startup screen remained to show two large buttons "Start" and "Reset", I checked.

Please note that yes, stylus worked perfectly before the calibration (v140701, didn't try it under the original build before that) and stopped working immediately after that (no postponement of reader use or any interim use of stylus for other purposes inbetween), just as described in the first post.

Were it not for that ominous and persistent "Reset" button on the calibration startup screen, I would have thought that a new stylus would simply be the ticket. But under these circumstances, it looks more like a lingering software error on the reader device to me, initiated by the calibration.

I see

please give me a couple of hours more. I will figure out a solution for your problem.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Just-read
Just-read began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I see

please give me a couple of hours more. I will figure out a solution for your problem.

@booxtor

i have the same issue, did you figure out the solution for this problem. any update for this problem .

thanks in advance.
Just-read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-read View Post
@booxtor

i have the same issue, did you figure out the solution for this problem. any update for this problem .

thanks in advance.
Please try to install this update
Your problem should be solved with it.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 AM   #9
Just-read

Quote:
Please try to install this update
Your problem should be solved with it.
Hi booxtor

unfortunately , the update did not solve the problem. the stylus does not work at all.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Hi booxtor

unfortunately , the update did not solve the problem. the stylus does not work at all.

Thanks
I am sorry! My fault.. was in hurry and uploaded wrong build. I am uploading correct one now.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Irratzo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Confirmed.

I'm anxious. Would be great if it worked of course.

@Booxtor: by the way, I figure that you have several M96s to test the calibration issue. Just out of curiosity, is this issue restricted to particular shipments or to all M96s you had available?

Last edited by Irratzo; 07-21-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Booxtor
Booxtor

Please re-download the update

You can navigate to RESET or START button using joystick now. Should work with calibration on your devices now.
Actually calibration feature works. I just can guess, why it did not work for you. Possibly you touched wrong coordinates during calibration. Our mistake was just missing navigation with joystick to the calibration feature.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Irratzo
Enthusiast

It worked .
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
Just-read

Thumbs up

solved, thanks booxtor.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Please re-download the update
Booxtor, are the fixes from the above update file included in the 2014-07-01 update published here?
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote