Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Some Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 love.

I bought the first Kindle Fire and never warmed up to it. Still sits unused.

The KFHDX8.9 is AWESOME. I mainly bought it to take to Torah study (you may laugh, but good Torahs can be hundreds of dollars and heavy).

I have an app that shows Hebrew on one side, English on the other, and commentary below the respective passage.

Then I have my Zinio magazines. Sideloaded it straight from the Zinio website, easy peasy. My library has tons of free magazines and I have their $5 3-magazine Z-pack (both major triathlon magazines and a cycling one). The free library ones include 2 cycling ones, 2 running ones, and 3 entertainment ones that I love plus many others I like reading. I have more magazines than time lol

There's always books but I prefer the PW2 for that. And I'm about to go on a trip so I'll be trying pre-downloading some movies (I have Prime).

It's heavier than I thought. And it's agreed on that it's lighter than the iPad Air... how heavy is that??

Very happy with the purchase if just for the Torah and magazines, that alone makes it worth it for me. Got the 64-gig model.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Did you get the app I recommended here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227472
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
The KFHDX8.9 is AWESOME.
I agree, I got one the middle of last week and absolutely love it for the most part.

Mine does have a problem where pressing in the lower left quadrant of the screen produces a clicking noise, but a quick CS chat and Amazon has a replacement on it's way which I'll have on Wednesday.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sounds pretty cool. you don't actually need a Torah scroll for studying, that's just for Krias HaTorah. You could always use the Stone Chumash, one edition of which has the whole Tanach...

Still a huge fan, of the whole idea, though. This is just the kind of thing very useful for travel while looking up stuff. And while the Nach isn't QUITE 20 lbs. a Kindle Fire is still lighter, and cooler.

I've got a harder job, though, I need to convince my rebbeim to let me have one in yeshiva with a Gemarah app. Probably not going to happen.

Although it's still useful for travel, of course. Carry around all of Shas in your pocket, you know....
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I returned the one I purchased. Though it may be reasonably priced, I think one will be able to do better with that and sooner rather than later.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I got the 64 GB too, and I can't wait until we go on vacation! (One week!!) The night before, I will download some prime videos to my Fire. I have already downloaded some shows from my Direct TV DVR onto my Samsung Note. I am set!!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
zellaroe
zellaroe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire HDX 8.9
New to the tablet world

Hi, I'm new to the tablet world , after much research I bought my first kindle fire HDX 8.9. Slowly playing and learning, I am trying to get it ready for a trip, downloading books and so etc. My local library offers many many free magazines from Zinio. I have registered and download a few mags., but when I go to my Kindle, Zinio website, click on my mag, it indicates that I need Adobe flash. I have downloaded the adobe flash from Amazon but it still does not read. I have read many reviews from amazon and others, some say it works some say it doesn't. I have tried many ways, but I believe it won't work because it is a HDX 8.9. I'm at a lost??? HELP!
zellaroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellaroe View Post
Hi, I'm new to the tablet world , after much research I bought my first kindle fire HDX 8.9. Slowly playing and learning, I am trying to get it ready for a trip, downloading books and so etc. My local library offers many many free magazines from Zinio. I have registered and download a few mags., but when I go to my Kindle, Zinio website, click on my mag, it indicates that I need Adobe flash. I have downloaded the adobe flash from Amazon but it still does not read. I have read many reviews from amazon and others, some say it works some say it doesn't. I have tried many ways, but I believe it won't work because it is a HDX 8.9. I'm at a lost??? HELP!
It sounds like you're trying to read them in the browser?

You can download the Zinio app from the Zinio website (it says it's for the HD, but works fine on my HDX)...
http://imgs.zinio.com/faq/kindlefire.html#installation
http://imgs.zinio.com/faq/ZinioReade...KindleFire.apk
...and use that. Much better on a tablet then trying to read in the web browser. You'll need to enable "Allow installation of Applications (from unknown devices)" in order to install the app.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote