Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #916
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Can't you do a bulk download of covers?
Uhh, maybe? Much as I love Calibre, I've barely scratched the surface of all its capabilities. So I don't know how to do that, and since I'm doing some other cleaning up while I do it it's not a huge deal. It's just odd to me that the covers are there in Dropbox when I look and download into Marvin. But not in Calibre. I may poke around more to try to figure it out.

In retrospect I probably should've just left it as it was and accessed Calibre via its server via wifi like I always have, but I do like being able to access books without having to be in the vicinity of my laptop. It's a tradeoff.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #917
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I disagree. It's fantastic to have the exact (and very poetic, at the same time) colour nomenclature at our fingertips in Marvin. I get a thrill activating a "Battleship Grey" or "Schoolbus Yellow" font colour in Marvin now. A "colour-picker" is a technocratic, non-poetic solution.
Oh well. I also found the names nice to read, but that doesn't help me to find the best colour to suit my liking. There is a time and place for poetry ... a colour picker can also be efficient, flexible and technically elegant but as I said, it's a minor issue for me.

Quote:
That's just your private perception, Kretzer.
Of course. I am under the impression that I cleary label my personal opinion as such and that *I* am not trying to pronounce them as absolute truths or impose my preferences on everybody else.
For me it's nearly impossible to read "light on dark", also in print, but that doesn't mean I oppose "night mode" in readers as a matter of principle.
So let's agree to disagree on questions of taste.

Quote:
I think that's what I'm suggesting above, isn't it?
Fine, then we are talking about the same thing, which technically makes most sense, I think. I was just under the personal, private impression that you used the phrase "button to upload" in post 894.

Quote:
Here is how you can instantly recognize top-quality software: it can oblige every user's preferences, without inconveniencing or confusing any user.
Maybe. Offering a lot of options is a good thing, but I don't think you necessarily get a better product by trying to please everybody.
It is great that Kris is listening to all suggestions, but in the end he has to decide what to include in order to get a usable and consistent piece of software. Or what effort is justified to satisfy "every user's" need. I'm sure there will always be more individual wishes than one can reasonably fulfill.
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #918
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think it is wonderful seeing updates to Marvin for the iPad but that there are iPhone users who would love Marvin as well. At some point in time, that really should be the focus. Personally, I am fine reading with the available backgrounds. It is a non-issue for me.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #919
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Hi ProfCrash, I've already started working on the iPhone version of Marvin.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #920
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
*Happydance*!! Don't forget, when beta testing... *hand up*
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #921
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Has any one else had a problem with the auto lock since the last update? I don't have it set to disable auto lock. Neither my ipad nor my mini will go to sleep if I have a book opened.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #922
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Poodlemum, that's a bug. It is already fixed and the update will be shipped to Apple within a couple of days.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #923
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #924
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Uhh, maybe? Much as I love Calibre, I've barely scratched the surface of all its capabilities. So I don't know how to do that, and since I'm doing some other cleaning up while I do it it's not a huge deal. It's just odd to me that the covers are there in Dropbox when I look and download into Marvin. But not in Calibre. I may poke around more to try to figure it out.

In retrospect I probably should've just left it as it was and accessed Calibre via its server via wifi like I always have, but I do like being able to access books without having to be in the vicinity of my laptop. It's a tradeoff.
Its probably because Calibre stores metadata in a separate file along with the cover. Under normal circumstances (eg if you buy an ebook and download from somewhere) all of that is contained within a single file. Calibre doesn't alter the content of that file so if you have a book which has no cover, or one which is different to the one you decided you wanted, *thats* what you get when you d/l from dropbox to any reader.

One way around it is to save out your entire Calibre library making sure the metadata is saved to each file (I did it once, sorted by author then series) and upload that to your dropbox/sugarsync/box/idrive/whatever instead. The difference being that you will need to repeat the process for every new book you add to the Library, instead of everything being automatically updated as you add to Calibre itself.

Although, on re-reading your post... i think I have misunderstood, and now I really dont understand whats going wrong for you. oh well, i tried.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 02-20-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #925
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
YEAH!!!!!! Thank you! Love the app!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #926
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Its probably because Calibre stores metadata in a separate file along with the cover. Under normal circumstances (eg if you buy an ebook and download from somewhere) all of that is contained within a single file. Calibre doesn't alter the content of that file so if you have a book which has no cover, or one which is different to the one you decided you wanted, *thats* what you get when you d/l from dropbox to any reader.

One way around it is to save out your entire Calibre library making sure the metadata is saved to each file (I did it once, sorted by author then series) and upload that to your dropbox/sugarsync/box/idrive/whatever instead. The difference being that you will need to repeat the process for every new book you add to the Library, instead of everything being automatically updated as you add to Calibre itself.

Although, on re-reading your post... i think I have misunderstood, and now I really dont understand whats going wrong for you. oh well, i tried.
Hey - thanks for trying! I'm over halfway through my library now, cleaning things up and getting them more to my liking. It's given me a good excuse to essentially do some spring cleaning with my Calibre library. And it's definitely nice to be able to access my library from anywhere now - Marvin gave me the kick in the pants I needed to finally make that switch.

After researching it some, I realize that if I'd recognized what had happened right away I probably could've fixed it right after I moved the library to Dropbox. But like I said, it's nice to get this housekeeping done.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #927
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Still enjoying this app, any chance you'll add pdf capabilities to it so I don't have to open that unsightly Goodreader GUI again?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #928
kguil
Addict

Hi bounce, I'm not planning to add PDF soon (although eventually it might happen). Right now I'm focusing on adding some cool features and polishing up the iPad version and working on Marvin for iPhone.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #929
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Quote:
Hi bounce, I'm not planning to add PDF soon (although eventually it might happen). Right now I'm focusing on adding some cool features and polishing up the iPad version and working on Marvin for iPhone.
Great. Either way, looking forward to seeing where you can take it.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #930
kyteflyer
Wizard

Deleted reference to blog entry.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 02-28-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Closed Thread