Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #31
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Not being sarcastic, but why not just get a keyboard for the Xoom?
The Chromebooks seem a lot less capable than tablets.

I have a tablet and a Chromebook. Tablets have their uses, but I find the Chromebook is much more practical for the web than a tablet is. A keyboard on a tablet seems rather Rube Goldberg to me. The Chromebook also has a larger screen than a comparably priced tablet.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You are way too prolific for me to keep up.
I only follow certain sub-sections.
Especially Monkey Devices and Banana Content.
The Devices of Monkeys are not to be toyed with or taken lightly. Nor Banana Frappes!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #33
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Only the cloud reader is available for Kindle? So you have to have internet access to read? Ugh.
I don't know about Chromebooks.
But on "normal" systems, cloud reader can save some books for offline use?!
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #34
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not Available
  • Nook
Can't you use "Nook for Web"?
Similar to the Kindle cloud reader?
http://paidcontent.org/2012/07/17/ba...-nook-for-web/
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #35
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I keep hearing this.

Really? There are cities and towns where you step outside and there is free WIFI?
Re read my post, I never said there were cities where free wifi was universally available. I said there are cities where you are never very far from wifi, some of which is free. McDonald's, Panera, most hotels, and a host of other businesses all offer free or a modest cost.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #36
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Re read my post, I never said there were cities where free wifi was universally available. I said there are cities where you are never very far from wifi, some of which is free. McDonald's, Panera, most hotels, and a host of other businesses all offer free or a modest cost.
Ok, thanks for the added info.

It seems then 3/4G is still necessary for even casual usage. I wouldn't drive 2.8 miles to a McDonalds to access the internet.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not listed, but I'd assume one can use Nook for the Web to read B&N stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Can't you use "Nook for Web"?
Similar to the Kindle cloud reader?
http://paidcontent.org/2012/07/17/ba...-nook-for-web/
You can. I was listing apps that were available at the Chrome Web Store.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #38
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I saw a Samsung one at BestBuy and was wondering how I can justify the purchase. I want it because it's pretty and it feels so well built, but, it does seem to do much less than my iPad. Too bad.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #39
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I now produce on my Acer Ultrabook, and consume on my SGT. If I could connect to work through chrome, I would be sitting pretty. But it takes a windows based computer (or Mac running windows). If I can't do that, it is pretty worthless to me. I wouldnt even need a computer to have full Microsoft Office, cause I have that at work, and when we remote in, we have control of our work computers, and what is available there.

I thought the Microsoft Surface might be for me. And then, I looked at where I used my laptop. Laying down on the couch, with the keyboard against my legs. Sitting up, with my feet on the coffee table (it is made for that) and the keyboard against my legs. Nope, I really need a hard keyboard, and I need the screen right there.

I am positively drooling over the Acer S7, but don't have that kind of $$ to spend on a computer.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On second thought, low-priced Google laptop is a great idea

Quote:
In June 2011, I trashed Samsung Corp.’s Chromebook, an early effort to build a machine running Google Inc.’s Chrome operating system. For $429, you got an attractive, well-built machine, but one that could not run programs written for Microsoft Corp.’s Windows software and that only worked when it was connected to the Internet.

The costly gadget was often little more than an illuminated placemat.

But a lot has changed over 18 months. The newest Chromebook is more attractive than its ancestor, but also a lot more useful, with features that keep working even when it is *offline. After several days of testing, the latest Chromebook became my go-to device for Internet surfing, e-mailing, and banging out documents on the fly. And while I’m impressed by the performance, I’m awed by its $249 price.
Quote:
Others will resist the idea of a laptop that can’t run Windows software. But thanks to smartphones and tablets, millions of people have learned to shrug off this trivial concern. Google’s software tools are more than adequate for basic productivity tasks. These tools work even when you’re not connected to the cloud. And you can access them through a stylish, well-built device that sells for half the price of a basic Windows laptop.

The Chromebook isn’t for everybody.

But for those who’ve learned to love cloud computing, it’s one of the best bargains in the digital world.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Review: Acer's C7 Chromebook is $199 and feelin' fine (relatively)

Quote:
Compared to the ARM Chromebook, Samsung's offering is slightly thinner, lighter, and more attractive, though the screen quality is about the same as the C7. It's also fanless, which is preferable to the C7's single, sometimes whiny system fan. However, the C7 has the better selection of ports, and as we'll see, it actually outperforms its more expensive cousin in most meaningful metrics.
Quote:
Chrome OS is still a bit of a tough sell, but the C7 and the ARM Chromebook are both cheap enough to finally make it palatable. Neither is an especially high-quality laptop, but at these price points they're a significant step up from the tiny, cheap netbooks that have been sold by these same manufacturers at these same price points. If you're on board with the operating system's limitations and the corners that were cut to slash the prices, the biggest question is which one to buy.

The Samsung Chromebook is slightly more expensive but overall it's the better-made of the two computers. Its fanless design, lighter weight, and better battery life are all worthwhile extra features. The C7 shines in other areas: it's got a better port selection, better performance, and its Intel-based roots and easy-to-upgrade internals make it an excellent target for tinkerers looking for a cheap computer to hack around with.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #42
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Ok, thanks for the added info.

It seems then 3/4G is still necessary for even casual usage. I wouldn't drive 2.8 miles to a McDonalds to access the internet.
that's where those wifi usb thingies come into great use

with the cost of 3g over there in the "first world", i guess i'll stick to my "third world" tendencies then (sorry, still take grave offense to that term )
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #43
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Chicago is actually working on free wi-fi. I suppose someone will offer something for some kind of exclusive.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #44
mwalker3124
mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mwalker3124 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: chromebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I keep being tempted by the chromebooks -- particularly the $200 Asus one.
of course the Samsung one looks great for a bit more money.

Anyone here use a chromebook regularly? What are your impressions?
Any ebook applications?
I have one and am thoroughly impressed. i am in the process of purchasing 60 more for our elementary school. the Samung model is the better of the choices as there is no hard drive in them - solid state - stays cooler and less battery drag. i use mine all of the time.

mwalker3124
mwalker3124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #45
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Doesn't Samsung have several models available?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote