Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
New Best Friend

Screen Filter !!!! Take that stock Kobo settings
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Cameron0960
Mr. Awesomesauce
Cameron0960 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Well that certainly is an awesome thing to have. Thanks for tipping me off to this!
Cameron0960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I don't have the current kobo update but I understand the brightness change in the last update only affects the kobo reader app or does it affect all apps? I just started using aldiko yesterday and it has its own brightness settings, I'm hoping to never use the kobo reader app again.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just got my Vox on the 30th last week, and I applied the new update right out of the box. As such, I have no knowledge of what the brightness settings behaved like prior to that. I can say that now the lowest brightness available from stock settings is applied the same across all apps, is no where near dim enough to not drive my wife crazy while I read in bed, and could benefit from being a bunch dimmer even during daily use. This app does it all, and for free to boot!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I use the Kobo Vox reader, Overdrive, Aldiko and Kindle reader. They all have their pros and cons and none of them is perfect. At this stage, while the Vox is still in development, it would be nice if all the features of the others could be incorporated in the Vox reader. Right now I'm reading a book in Overdrive and checking it out in Aldiko in tandem. I think I like the look of the Overdrive version better, but miss the search function in Aldiko. But, getting back to this thread, I still use Screen Filter in low light and in the dark. It's one of the most useful apps I have and recommend it to anyone that has a Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I've been using this app from the beginning, even before the update, I guess I should have shared it when I'd found it.. but it is an eye saver.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Power Control Widget

Another handy little thing is the Power Control Widget that comes with the Vox. It has a handy little one-touch button that steps the brightness through about 4 different levels right from my Home Page.
(It also has buttons for turning the WiFi and the Synching on and off)
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Sweet! I might try this on my phone. Texting in bed at night hurts my eyes lol.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Kboland
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Another handy little thing is the Power Control Widget that comes with the Vox. It has a handy little one-touch button that steps the brightness through about 4 different levels right from my Home Page.
(It also has buttons for turning the WiFi and the Synching on and off)
The PCW is great, but still only allows for the lowest 'stock' brightness level, where as Screen Filter allows you to tweak it even lower