Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
raynchk
raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynchk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-505
E Reader w/ Linux

Hi! After searching through the forums and not finding exactly the info I want I thought I'd post this topic. Apologies in advance if its been covered somewhere else.

I've enjoyed my PRS-505 for the last several years but the part I dislike is using the sony software to transfer purchased books to my reader. I've got a dual boot HP with Vista and once I get another reader I will probably hose Vista. I'm also mad at Sony for removing the Other OS function on my PS3, not to mention the long down time after they were hacked. Sony doesn't appear to care much about their customer base any longer.

Amazon seems a fairly good choice, although I don't like their walled-garden approach. I've seen the newer readers and I like the screen, also I've had good luck purchasing books and other stuffs through Amazon. Their return policy is great and I like the ability to sync over 3G or wireless w/o need for a computer.

Price does matter, and I'd like to keep reader and cover in the $150 range, although I might go higher for the right reader. I have about 100 books in my library and am hopefully technically proficient enough to re-format them with the help of calibre.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

thanks
Dale
raynchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Right now, i'm using ADE with wine, good enough to download books and de-drm them. Once there is no drm, a simple copy past does it.

But, the upcoming version of ADE fails with wine

Last I tried it, kindle for PC had some trouble with wine and fonts. Don't know what's the result now.

Being a linux user sucks when drm is involved.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
tennis nh
tennis nh began at the beginning.

Device: nook color and kindle fire
Inquiry please.
Two people in my house have a nook and nook color, they enjoy them but I was visually thrilled by kindle fire and all of it's features.
I have a couple of specific questions
1) is there anyway, either or difficult, to share/read nook books on kindle and vice versa?
2) does the kindle fire have a headset jack (and the ability to play mp3 or audio books)?

Thanks for any and all help
Lisa
tennis nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
I'm in the same boat with with my iPod touch. Here's what you can do:

- install VirtualBox (the PUEL version, not OSE - meaning the one with USB support)

- install MicroXP (TinyXP would be better since it's more "complete") in a 2-3 GB .vdi file. For iTunes I used 2 GB and enabled NTFS compression on drive C: (also disabled the blue file names from the Folder Options), and disabled the pagefile, hibernation.

- give it 384 MB/512 MB/768 MB, depending how much RAM you have, but I'm sure you can probably work with less, like 256 MB... I mean, we are talking about a stripped down Windows version here...

- maybe change the default Windows theme, make it look like something else. For instance you could install LiteStep, make it look different (heck, you can paint a turd, but it's still a turd). I used an OS X theme, wallpaper and cursor. Oh, and disable the boot screen by adding "/noguiboot" to boot.ini (Google it). The WM will start faster.

Last edited by DSpider; 10-19-2011 at 05:07 PM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
p373
p373 began at the beginning.

Device: gnu
I really like my Kindle 3 keyboard. I have found the built-in Linux environment to be a lot of fun, and there is just enough openness so that I feel I could do anything I wanted hack-wise if properly motivated. There is definitely some proprietariness to it, but coming from other platforms like TiVo, iPhone, Mac it's not bad. At least Amazon isn't openly hacker-hostile... yet... ; )

My point is that maybe Android reader has more to offer in gnu open-ness, but I think Kindle is such an excellent product, it wins when using it for it's intended purpose.
p373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynchk View Post
Hi! After searching through the forums and not finding exactly the info I want I thought I'd post this topic. Apologies in advance if its been covered somewhere else.

I've enjoyed my PRS-505 for the last several years but the part I dislike is using the sony software to transfer purchased books to my reader. I've got a dual boot HP with Vista and once I get another reader I will probably hose Vista. I'm also mad at Sony for removing the Other OS function on my PS3, not to mention the long down time after they were hacked. Sony doesn't appear to care much about their customer base any longer.

Amazon seems a fairly good choice, although I don't like their walled-garden approach. I've seen the newer readers and I like the screen, also I've had good luck purchasing books and other stuffs through Amazon. Their return policy is great and I like the ability to sync over 3G or wireless w/o need for a computer.

Price does matter, and I'd like to keep reader and cover in the $150 range, although I might go higher for the right reader. I have about 100 books in my library and am hopefully technically proficient enough to re-format them with the help of calibre.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

thanks
Dale
I believe Kobo has a version of their desktop software available for use with Linux. I think it might also work fine with your existing Sony Reader. Since I tend to stick to public domain books and books purchased from non-drm publishers/stores I have never bothered since I just use calibre.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
anthony_barker
anthony_barker began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, nokia n900
same boat - using kobo as their desktop is based on kde and works in ubuntu.

Also have a transformer which is really nice. May get a kobo vox or something else for fun...
anthony_barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynchk View Post
Amazon seems a fairly good choice, although I don't like their walled-garden approach. Dale
I don't think it's quite accurate to describe Amazon as a "walled garden." The term usually means that the only products you can put on the device are ones from the manufacturer of the device. Apple's iDevices are "walled gardens" (with respect to apps) because you can *only* put apps on the device that you buy from Apple's App store. (Unless you develop them yourself).

Amazon, on the other hand, doesn't prevent you from buying books elsewhere and putting them on the Kindle, although of course it's not as convenient.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, linux, sony