Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sony ditching Connect music service

Nothing what we've already known, but today Sony officially announced that they are shutting down their music platform Connect.

Quote:
Today Sony announced its intent to move to a Windows Media Technology platform for Walkman products in the United States, Canada and Europe. We strongly believe that the decision to embrace a more open platform will enable us to provide you with a better music enjoyment experience. As a result of this change, we will be phasing out the CONNECT Music Service, based on Sony's
ATRAC audio format, in North America and Europe. Specific timing will vary by region depending on market demand, but will not be before March 2008.
E-book users will not be affected by the shut down. Relief.

Found via Engadget
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
No, but it does prove that they aren't interested in maintaining/expanding a format if it's not profitable to them. I hope it doesn't have a chilling effect on Connect store sales, though I have to admit it concerns me that someday lrf/lrx might someday in the mid future is chopped off.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
No, but it does prove that they aren't interested in maintaining/expanding a format if it's not profitable to them. I hope it doesn't have a chilling effect on Connect store sales, though I have to admit it concerns me that someday lrf/lrx might someday in the mid future is chopped off.
In a perverse way it should give you confidence. I'm amazed that Sony were/are still offering an ATRAC download service long long after the rest of the world had given up on ATRAC in favour of MP3 and MP4/AAC.

AFAIK Sony have indicated that they will move to supporting the Open eBooks standards, which hopefully will be around for a long time.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Actually, I find the Connect Music Store easier to navigate than the iTunes store. And I may be the only person in the world who likes the SonicStage application. Sony also had so many partners that all of my 50 or so downloads have been free. The ATRAC3+ formatted tracks sound no better or worse than .m4p (iTunes), .mp3, or .wma tracks. I don't like proprietary formats and DRM any better than anyone else, but so it goes. I'll shed no tears for the end of Connect Music.

I do think Sony should put the Connect Music team to work improving the Connect E-Book Store. It can use all the help it can get!
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote