Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Kindle DX refurb vs. new DXG?

So, the old white DX is available as a refurb for $269. The new DX "graphite" is $379. Other than being a spiffier (IMO) color, is there anything about the new DX that is worth the hundred bucks' difference? I hear the screen is a bit better, but is it THAT much better? Any other significant differences?

I'm slightly tempted to order both, then ship one back......
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Get the new one - the display rocks (it is a lot of better).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
If you can afford to spend the extra $110 I say go for the DXG. The screen is better and the chances that they will upgrade the firmware are better with the DXG then with the old DX.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
For $100 i would get the older one. I have both and while the screen is better I dont think it is $100 better.
Save your cash for books
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
the screen on the dx is much better also the graphite case gives you better contrast. get the dxg. 100 isnt that much if you are going to use it a lot. for firmware i assume they will update all k2 and dx at same time not just dxg but it is a guess.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
This is from an old thread but the DXG is supposed to be upgraded to the same capabilities as the K3. If you can afford the extra $ it is well worth it, IMO.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
my friend has the DX refurb, i have the graphite

when you compare it side by side, you'll want the graphite. the change is that noticeable

if you can afford it, then do it
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for all the input!

As it stands, I think I'll just be patient a while longer. I really, really, REALLY want full PDF functionality (annotations, etc). If that's going to happen soon, I'd rather it happen BEFORE I buy rather than get it and feel burned if PDF notes never comes along. Does that make any sense at all? I can wait until Christmas, at least . I think. We'll see......

Maybe by then there will be DXG's in the refurb store .
Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

If you really need PDF support.. don't get a kindle.. get an ipad or a hybrid device... Kindle pdf support is lackadaisical at best.

even the entourage is better for PDFs if you have the money and don't mind lugging a brick around with you....
+ you can take notes and such from what I understand.

http://www.entourageedge.com/entourage-edge.html
Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
ziegl027
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
don't get a kindle.. get an ipad or a hybrid device... Kindle pdf support is lackadaisical at best.
Don't like the display on the one or the weight on the other. I don't need full computing power sort of support, I'd be completely happy if I can just look up a word here and there, highlight some stuff, and jot down a note in the "margin". Like I can with my Sony Touch/600, and what people apparently can do with the K3. Those are just too dang small for a journal article on MRI.....
Old 10-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
curstpriest
Confused

Unfortunately this is the way it is for now. Just hope amazon decides to update the DX then.

Eventually somebody will make a 10 in E-ink single display with a touchscreen that is android based that uses a stylus. I would have bought such a tablet if one existed and had decent PDF support, but none did. The only ones around really were the kindle DX and the entourage.. and the entourage is just too bulky (3lbs vs the DX 1.2), it's e-ink screen is also slightly lower quality, and it only lasts like 8 hours using ereader only (LCD off), the DX lasts like 60.. so yeah. It's also only 8 shades of gray and reflective. But you can watch video, surf the web, and do other stuff, so it's an interesting idea for a student, but still needs more refinement. Perhaps later versions will be smaller and better. One big downfall is that it doesn't have the standard android marketplace (oops?).
Old 10-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
the pdf support sucks? what if i open a particular PDF in a PC, then re-print it as images in PDF format (so there'll be no vector graphics). so will the kindle display it nicely? will the kindle remember the last page of a PDF file read?
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #13
curstpriest
Confused

It can display everything in standard pdfs, like I said, the only issues are sometimes there are clipping issues, you can resolve this by printing it "to pdf" if you have acrobat, you can print to adobe PDF, just input paper size 5.15 x 7.44 inches.

This will also shrink the size of the document and make page turns faster as the kindle doesn't have to scale down each page, or whatever weird things it does.

You do not have to print to image. If you print to PDF, you lose the page numbering system if it is custom (like leading pages with roman numerals, if you have acrobat you can add them back in manually, takes a few seconds to do, just select the pages on right and right click, go page numbers). If you use another software to do the conversion, like nitro PDF or sourceforge it may break down the PDF and merge images incorrectly (not sure). I just know that print to "adobe pdf" that comes with acrobat preserves the pdf 1:1, and elimitates the cropping problem.

Another way to deal with this is to crop the margins, which is faster and gives you more view, like removing the header/footer page numbers and border (you dont need this since the kindle shows page numbers of PDFs anyways) and if it doesn't sync up with the page numbers in the document, you can easily renumber the page numbers with most PDF editing software (such as acrobat) as discussed above.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
It can display everything in standard pdfs, like I said, the only issues are sometimes there are clipping issues, you can resolve this by printing it "to pdf" if you have acrobat, you can print to adobe PDF, just input paper size 5.15 x 7.44 inches.

This will also shrink the size of the document and make page turns faster as the kindle doesn't have to scale down each page, or whatever weird things it does.

You do not have to print to image. If you print to PDF, you lose the page numbering system if it is custom (like leading pages with roman numerals, if you have acrobat you can add them back in manually, takes a few seconds to do, just select the pages on right and right click, go page numbers). If you use another software to do the conversion, like nitro PDF or sourceforge it may break down the PDF and merge images incorrectly (not sure). I just know that print to "adobe pdf" that comes with acrobat preserves the pdf 1:1, and elimitates the cropping problem.

Another way to deal with this is to crop the margins, which is faster and gives you more view, like removing the header/footer page numbers and border (you dont need this since the kindle shows page numbers of PDFs anyways) and if it doesn't sync up with the page numbers in the document, you can easily renumber the page numbers with most PDF editing software (such as acrobat) as discussed above.
sometimes, the kindle crops the page for you... sometimes, not

its just that pdfs generally work on the kindle, but dont rely on it too much... slow page turning makes skipping pages hard...
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote