Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
So, it comes with 3.1Gb instead of 1.3? Those seem like odd numbers.

Is it targeted at dyslexics?
It is the free space remaining for the user after OS is loaded.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The real question, in my mind, is whether this means that they're distributing otherwise unsold product (IIRC the Japanese Kindles have always been 4 GB) in preparation for an entirely new model, or if this means that there won't be a 2014 refresh.
This is extremely interesting as the 4GB models seem to have been made available outside the USA before prior to release in the USA. Backwards from Amazon's SOP.

I wonder if Amazon has finally reached the point where they cannot justify the development of totally new eInk readers. At some point the eInks are going to get so hard to sell that Amazon will put out little or no new updates for them. I personally think the eInk readers are approaching extinction as eInk screens just cannot improve fast enough to compete against the fast evolving tablet screens. I bet outside the group that hangs out here at MR, few people even buy eInk readers any more. And a lot of us have pretty much gotten rid of the ones we had or allow them to collect dust on a shelf somewhere.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I bet outside the group that hangs out here at MR, few people even buy eInk readers any more. And a lot of us have pretty much gotten rid of the ones we had or allow them to collect dust on a shelf somewhere.
I think you could also add at least some of the people who had eInk before tablets were widely available. I have a couple of friends with eInk gadgets who continue to use them, but have no interest in the "geek" side of them - they work, they don't have to charge them often, they can read them out in the sun or indoors. So they're happy with them.

But I doubt too many people looking for something for this first time would choose eInk - they'll just see the bright color and the fact it can be used to surf the 'net, and they'll go with the tablet. I know when I first started reading on my PDA, I would have gone with a tablet next, had that been the option. But I greatly prefer reading on eInk (with a lovely front-light to make the screen look whiter) than on a tablet/phone screen now.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #19
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I wouldn't mind reading on a tablet, IF it had a matte screen, was readable even on the brightest of days (I read a lot on the go, so outside and in public transport) and at least 5 days of battery uptime.

No current tablet provides this. Therefore, the e-reader is still the better device if the only thing you want to do is read.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #20
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I love the e-ink devices because of the lighter weight, longer battery life and ability to read anywhere. Never hot, never heavy. The only drawback is that I would purchase magazines if I had color. I am reaching the point where I am interested in buying a device to replace my K3 and it will definitely be e-ink. Just waiting to see if there is a new PW this fall. I do most of my reading just before I sleep and I love that it only does one thing -- show me a book! So relaxing. I always have my iPhone for quickly checking email. I hope the kindles don't get phased out. Maybe color e-ink some day…?

Last edited by krazy4katz; 08-17-2014 at 07:27 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #21
donoharm
donoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW1 - jailbroken
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
This is extremely interesting as the 4GB models seem to have been made available outside the USA before prior to release in the USA. Backwards from Amazon's SOP.

I wonder if Amazon has finally reached the point where they cannot justify the development of totally new eInk readers. At some point the eInks are going to get so hard to sell that Amazon will put out little or no new updates for them. I personally think the eInk readers are approaching extinction as eInk screens just cannot improve fast enough to compete against the fast evolving tablet screens. I bet outside the group that hangs out here at MR, few people even buy eInk readers any more. And a lot of us have pretty much gotten rid of the ones we had or allow them to collect dust on a shelf somewhere.
Isn't the kindle one of their best sellers?
donoharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
So, it comes with 3.1Gb instead of 1.3? Those seem like odd numbers.

Is it targeted at dyslexics?
No, it is 2GB and 4GB - the part that is odd numbered is the user accessible space for content. The rest is reserved for the OS.

Edit: ah rats, I thought I already was on the last page when replying.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoharm View Post
Nobody knows since Amazon never says how many it sells. And with the Fire, it is not always clear that you talk about eink or tablet. To normal people it is a Kindle. One has color fun and games, the other works in the sun with good battery life.

I do hope we see a new eink device - with all the competition eink tablets out , Amazon should too. Maybe they wait for the right timing or superior screen technology to fight back hard.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoharm View Post
Which Kindle? The Kindle Fire, the Kindle tablet? Or the Kindle ecosystem as a whole which includes multi-platform apps and is almost but not quite as ubiquitous as Dropbox?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #25
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The international version has the extra storage:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...le-paperwhite/

It's shown up in Canada and Europe.
So why does Amazon hate America? Or maybe it's because Amazon's only competitors these days are outside the US and they have limited distribution in the States.

Yeah, I'm going with the whole monopoly thing.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #26
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I think you could also add at least some of the people who had eInk before tablets were widely available. I have a couple of friends with eInk gadgets who continue to use them, but have no interest in the "geek" side of them - they work, they don't have to charge them often, they can read them out in the sun or indoors. So they're happy with them.

But I doubt too many people looking for something for this first time would choose eInk - they'll just see the bright color and the fact it can be used to surf the 'net, and they'll go with the tablet. I know when I first started reading on my PDA, I would have gone with a tablet next, had that been the option. But I greatly prefer reading on eInk (with a lovely front-light to make the screen look whiter) than on a tablet/phone screen now.
EInk's not going to disappear anytime soon, not only because it's a superior platform for reading but because with Android it's pretty cheap to make. If Amazon gives up on it, it'll open the door for lots of others. No indication that Amazon's going to give up on it, however.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
So why does Amazon hate America? Or maybe it's because Amazon's only competitors these days are outside the US and they have limited distribution in the States.

Or maybe it's because they still have a bunch of 2GB models in warehouses and the US is their best chance to unload them before a new model makes an appearance.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #28
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Or maybe it's because they still have a bunch of 2GB models in warehouses and the US is their best chance to unload them before a new model makes an appearance.
Yup--I'm pretty sure that's it. Amazon quit listing the memory capacity for the KPW in the spec sheet--used to say 2GB, now it just says "holds over 1000 books". What I get from this is that they are currently using 4GB chips but still want to sell all the 2GB models that have been manufactured. Could be as simple as the 4GB chips have now become more cost effective for Amazon to purchase than the 2GB chips.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #29
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Yup--I'm pretty sure that's it. Amazon quit listing the memory capacity for the KPW in the spec sheet--used to say 2GB, now it just says "holds over 1000 books". What I get from this is that they are currently using 4GB chips but still want to sell all the 2GB models that have been manufactured. Could be as simple as the 4GB chips have now become more cost effective for Amazon to purchase than the 2GB chips.
...or the 2GB chip has reached end of life and they ran out of their "lifetime buy"... or they've shunted the entire supply capacity over to their next gen reader... or...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post

Well maybe it's not just Japanese language books that need more storage. Maybe some other non-English languages do, too.

But the title of this thread is a bit misleading. You can't say "Paperwhite now comes with 4GB of storage" when the specs on the product page do not say it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote