Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Iefmathias
Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Iefmathias , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo annoying coating pattern (?) in bright light

Hi all. I have noticed something rather annoying about my recently purchased Kobo Glo and I was wondering if other people have this 'issue' too...

In bright light, and under certain angles, the top part of my Glo displays a very annoying 'sparkling' pattern that catches the eye very easy and sparkles with the slightest bit of movement. Boy, this really gets you 'out of the book'... especially because the rest of the screen is silky smooth. Sent a mail to the helpdesk, but anyway... anyone else noticing this?

I tried to simulate (harsher) light by adding a small light to the top of the screen so you can see what I mean, but it is very noticeable in sunlight, too. Sparkles like crazy. Bummer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130128_200925.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	100232  
Iefmathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Ick! I haven't noticed anything like it on mine so far. Could be two things I guess: faulty screen, or else refraction at certain angles from the microgrid (whatever it's called) that spreads the sidelight across the surface. Having said that, I tried to replicate your problem and couldn't, so if I were you I would definitely contact customer support. That doesn't look right.
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Nothing like that on my Glo.

No offense intended, but you have, of course, tried cleaning the screen with a bit of moisture, or perhaps huffing on it, and wiping with a microfiber cloth?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
piratepanda
Connoisseur
piratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
Same here, cleaning doesn't help
piratepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I haven't noticed anything like that on my Glo, I'd say that it isn't normal.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
piratepanda
Connoisseur
piratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
Yeah, it's hard to notice and if I don't look hard I don't see it so I would'nt rule it out that every glo has this to some degree.
piratepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepanda View Post
Yeah, it's hard to notice and if I don't look hard I don't see it so I would'nt rule it out that every glo has this to some degree.
I think it's fair to say that middle-of-the-day sun on a sunny midsummer day in Perth is just about as bright as sunlight gets, but I can't for the life of me find any evidence of this defect on my Glo, at any lighting level or any reasonable reading angle. I'd be returning the device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
oSoleil
oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oSoleil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch (RIP)
Hi, My beloved Kobo Touch stopped working last week and I bought a Kobo Glo...

Unfortunately, I encountered these sparkling fine diagonal lines in the top part of the screen of my Kobo Glo. Depending on the room lighting intensity and the angle of the lighting, they can get very annoying and distracting. In my Kobo, they are also only in the top part of the screen, the rest of the screen being matt and smooth. I had never noticed anything like that on the Touch screen.

I returned my Glo to the store yesterday and got a refund (it was their last one). I am now wondering if I should buy a new Glo (was it defective or is it the way they are built) or buy another Touch... (but I loved the comfort light...)
oSoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oSoleil View Post
I am now wondering if I should buy a new Glo (was it defective or is it the way they are built)
It was definitely defective. If it had been the way they are built, we'd heard people complain about this a lot sooner, and a lot more often. It would not be an ok "thing" for an ereader, especially not one that claims to be readable in the sun. If you liked the Glo and want another one without the "scratchiness," I'd say go for it and buy another one.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
johnsnow
Fanboy
johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo Glo, Mini, Aura
Angry Kobo glo defect

I had this same problem on my Kobo glo. I emailed Kobo and convinced them to send me a replacement which had the same problem only worse. They probably sent me a refurbished one someone else had returned. I keep thinking how can the people at Kobo not know about this defect. It is impossible to see until you are in the exact lighting situation though. It only shows up under two different lights in my house so I just do not read in those places anymore. I would not buy another one even though I love my Kobo unless they acknowledge there was an issue and it is now corrected.
johnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I keep thinking how can the people at Kobo not know about this defect. It is impossible to see until you are in the exact lighting situation though.
Please tell me you realize how contrary those two statements sound... Do you imagine them subjecting the reader to every type of lighting situation known to mankind and evaluating it from all possible angles? Chances are they looked at them under incandescent and fluorescent lighting from the angles most people would, as well as outdoors, and called it a day. After all they don't produce the e-ink display.

Under exactly what lighting conditions does the problem manifest? What type of bulb(s) or tubes at what angles, etc?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
johnsnow
Fanboy
johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!johnsnow , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo Glo, Mini, Aura
Halogen bulbs

All I meant to say is that I understand it is a defect that is not evident on cursory examination, but as a consumer I would expect that if enough people complained to Kobo about it they would eventually see for themselves.
At the time I returned my Kobo I really could not figure out the rhyme or reason to when it would show up so I could not explain it to them either. There was nothing on the web about the defect last November so I just had my wife who also could see it to assure me I was not crazy. I just settled for the replacement with the same problem because I do like the device and I did not know what else to do about it.

Anyway the reflective crosshatching which is what I call it now definitely appears under halogen lights.
The other light in my house that seemed to cause it no matter what type of bulb I put in there was a floor lamp. Looking at it now I realize it may be because the shade has a silver backing. Halogen lights also have a silver backing in the bulb. I think this silver is definately the cause somehow.
The angle or intensity of the light is not really important. I have a dimmer on the halogen light and it does not help.
I do not notice it outside at all in my experience but it is winter and I was just holding it up to the window.
johnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I tried this under my halogens, with the light off, on, and cranked all the way up, at all angles, and couldn't get my Kobo to sparkle at all.

Just to double check (the photo is pretty unclear) - this isn't just the light bouncing off the textured screen surface, is it? Because that's visible at certain angles, though not any angle I'd read at. The screen on the Glo is a lot more textured than the Touch screen.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #14
TechniSol

I didn't mean to be difficult, but really did wonder under what lighting conditions it appeared. The only photo I've seen of the phenomenon was photographed at a very unusual angle for reading and apparently with an LED Kandle reading light being used to illuminate a reader with internal lighting... If it only appears on the top half of a screen as some have said, one might imagine it was some sort of film or accidental chemical or cleaning spray that might have been transferred during assembly of the display.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Perhaps your Glo is a vampire Glo.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote