Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
tshields
tshields began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Angry Issues with Adobe Digital Edition, about to go crazy!

So I'm new here, yay.. I just wish I was posting under better circumstances. My fiance and I have just gotten Kobo eReaders, but mine has been an expensive paperweight because Adobe Digital Editions doesn't want to function on my computer! I'm copy/pasting from where I've posted on other sites, so if the formatting is a little wonky, please forgive me. I hope someone here can help me though, as I seem to be the only one on the planet experiencing this...

I'm getting an IO Error on Network Request. I see threads in various places on this going back 3 years and no solutions on hand to try. I've completely turned off Windows Firewall. Avast and Ad-Aware are turned off. Port 80 is open. I can physically copy and paste the URL it gives me in the error message and pull up the .epub file. Heck, I can read the whole thing from my computer if I want! There is NOTHING blocking Adobe. But Adobe keeps saying theres a network error, and as a result, is refusing to "unlock" the ePub for use. Adobe Support told me that the Kobo isn't supported... buuut, the link he sent as proof showed that the Kobo is, in fact, a supported device. Oh, and he closed my ticket without fixing the issue. Fantastic. So, what now? And heres the kicker- my big, fancy gaming computer stumbles on this task, but my fiance's gimpy old laptop in the next room works FINE. Kinda irritating, and I hate not being able to figure this out on my own. Here is the error message in its entirety:

IO Error on Network Request.
Please check your network connection and try again.

Network Path:
http://ecimages.shortcovers.com/46b...8d02cec274.epub

Event Detail:
Error #2038

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tshields; 08-30-2010 at 10:41 AM.
tshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Jim Lester is the go to guy for ADE on the Adobe forums. He is a member here as well. You could PM him and see what he has to say.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Try removing Adobe Flash, than download en install the latest Flash version.
ADE uses Flash, and installing Flash anew seems to solve all kind of weird problems.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
I've had this problem on occasion. The booksellers tell me that it is a problem with ADE. What I have found is that if I have ADE open on my computer before I download the book, there is no problem, but if I try to download the book directly (with ADE opening during the download process) I get that IO error.

Hope this helps.
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
tshields

Thanks for the input so far, folks, but no dice. I'm about at my wit's end. I sent Jim Lester a PM, hopefully he'll have some info for me! Apparently, Kobo (or the particular rep I talked to) doesn't have any idea how to fix this so far, but they did say that they're working on their own epub decryption thingie that should be ready in the next couple months. Don't know if I can hang on that long with an expensive paperweight sitting by my computer.
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If your reader and ADE work on a machine in the next room, you could use that, I suppose, while figuring out the ADE mess. It sounds like it is an ADE vs your computer problem, rather than something with the Kobo itself. Also, I hope you have opened a web request on the Adobe site. One other thing you might try is creating a new user account on your computer and then seeing if ADE works on that user account. Stranger things have happened.

Last edited by taming; 08-29-2010 at 10:11 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
tshields

Yeah, I'm due for a call-back tomorrow morning. The first Adobe one was closed because some tech was being lazy and thought they'd fix it with a generic "turn off your firewall" response. The second guy was nice enough to actually hear me out. Oh, and even though I'm not actually accessing the books, they still show the licenses as being in use by my name, so they would have to be reset before they could be used in the other room. I just figured we could keep everything separate, so I don't end up with all her Sookie books and she doesn't end up with all my Steven Erikson.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
tshields

Edit: nevermind, still looking for a solution

Last edited by tshields; 08-30-2010 at 12:18 PM.