Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Portable scanning solutions

I was looking at the VuPoint Magic Wand (see thread here). I'm wondering if anybody knows of some other similar portable scanning solutions? I'm looking for something that is portable enough to pack, but is not sheet-fed.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Camera. Phone with a camera maybe ? 5 mp should be enough for OCR-ing (I know it can be done with 3 mp if the lighting is good).

There are a few portable, inexpensive solutions on diybookscanner.org.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

Besides the proposed above (I think a 6 MPixel camera will be anough), you can also try to wait for the Ion book saver (http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/book-saver).

Same say it could be nice, some say its crap and some say it will not even see the light of the day…

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Depends on the quality of the lenses really. You could probably OCR most novels with an old 2 mp compact camera but you may have to retype fine prints here and there (eg. footnotes) when you proof-read it.

I can personally attest that it's entirely possible to OCR a document with a 3 mp mobile phone camera (Samsung, 2007 model, tiny, cheapish lens).
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
Thank you for this thread. I was going to post the same question relevant to a portable office. In the past I actually traveled with the Canon CanoScan LiDE. Well, not *travelled*. I mean I put it in my luggage and set it up with my laptop when I settled in a hotel room for more than a five days. What I like about it is it is cheap (often under $100, without taxes) and it is lightweight. I am a journalist and author, I have to scan thousands of books and magazines and it worked fine. I think it broke down at about 8000 scans. Maybe it can be fixed. But I would rather have something MUCH more portable. This model takes up a lot of room in one's carry-on suitcase. But other than that I am happy with it. Unless one is doing something controversial or potentially illegal (copying the bible in Saudi Arabia might be construed to be missionary work) or those threesome photos of you and the German Shepherd, I suggest just using an office service's staff.

Last edited by hermes; 05-29-2011 at 06:55 PM.
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
good concept - but will it work well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hello

Besides the proposed above (I think a 6 MPixel camera will be anough), you can also try to wait for the Ion book saver (http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/book-saver).

Same say it could be nice, some say its crap and some say it will not even see the light of the day…

Best regards,
No email contact is listed although if one's computer is set up for email direct (don't know what one calls this) they can be contacted.

The product looks rather wonky to me, but appears to break down for portability. I look forward to customer reviews
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Hermes, that's impressive! Travelling with a CanoScan is exactly what I was imagining (and hoping to avoid!).

I checked out the builds over at the site DSpider mentioned (http://diybookscanner.org/wiki/index...ner_build_list) and while there are a few other "portables" I think these two by DHagen look best:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Port...-Copy-Machine/
http://www.instructables.com/id/New-...igital-Copy-M/

I actually don't have a dedicated camera (I use my phone), so it could turn out to be an equally expensive solution.

The Ion Booksaver also looks interesting, but I guess the reviews will be essential with that one.

I'm thinking I still might prefer the VuPoint actually. Of all the solutions, it's still the most portable in terms of moving it from my home office to a library or whatnot. It's a shame it can't charge by USB though, and I'm a little worried if I'll be able to hold it steady enough.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

Please note that the Ion Booksaver (if it ever sees the light of day) is special designed to be used to scan books not normal documents.

Another option could be the flip-pal scanner (http://flip-pal.com) (some good reviews in Amazon).
Apparently they just sell it in the US and Canada, but I can be wrong.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote