Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2022, 10:00 PM   #1
zakman
Enthusiast
zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2019
Can't change font on Paperwhite 11th Gen

I have one of the new 6.8" Paperwhites, which I believe is 11th gen. From time to time I will download a book, convert it using Calibre, and sideload it back to the Kindle. I'm able to open and read the book, but the font is apparently locked and cannot be changed. I noticed this on my previous 10th-gen Kindle as well. Anyone know what causes this, and how I can work around it?
zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:27 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman View Post
I have one of the new 6.8" Paperwhites, which I believe is 11th gen. From time to time I will download a book, convert it using Calibre, and sideload it back to the Kindle. I'm able to open and read the book, but the font is apparently locked and cannot be changed. I noticed this on my previous 10th-gen Kindle as well. Anyone know what causes this, and how I can work around it?
I've run into this also. I'm not an expert, but I think, when you're converting, you need to go to Styling and completely remove the old fonts.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2022, 11:11 PM   #3
zakman
Enthusiast
zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2019
That may have done the trick. I say "may" because after commenting out all of the fonts and reloading the book to my Kindle, it still came up in that same font. Only after I changed my themes around and tried switching the fonts again did it suddenly start behaving. Still, it's doing what I want now, so will count that as a win. Thanks for the help!
zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:00 AM   #4
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
I think you convert to MOBI which does not support advanced layout, including custom font settings. You need to convert to AWZ3 format instead.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:57 AM   #5
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
convert book to kfx format using kfx output plugin. It'll support all the options that are possible in a kindle. (but won't support periodical formatting like mobi)
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2022, 07:55 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkn0wn View Post
convert book to kfx format using kfx output plugin. It'll support all the options that are possible in a kindle. (but won't support periodical formatting like mobi)
KFX doesn't support custom font sizes (the FONT_RAMP hack) or reduced margins in the css. Only AZW3 supports those.

Last edited by Sirtel; 07-06-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:01 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
KFX doesn't support custom font sizes (the FONT_RAMP hack) or reduced margins in the css. Only AZW3 supports those.
And KFX also does not support lower line height in the font's metrics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:06 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkn0wn View Post
No, KFX is actually more limited. The azw3 is best for Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:49 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It depends on your use cases. I don’t side-load much, but I prefer KFX because I want it to look and feel like what I download from Amazon. I have little interest in jail breaking or fine tuning margins and font sizes.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It depends on your use cases. I don’t side-load much, but I prefer KFX because I want it to look and feel like what I download from Amazon. I have little interest in jail breaking or fine tuning margins and font sizes.
Yes, of course. We just pointed out that KFX doesn't support all the options possible on a Kindle. Whether one is interested in those options or not is another kettle of fish.

What KFX does support and other formats don't, are kerning, ligatures and other typographical niceties.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, of course. We just pointed out that KFX doesn't support all the options possible on a Kindle. Whether one is interested in those options or not is another kettle of fish.

What KFX does support and other formats don't, are kerning, ligatures and other typographical niceties.
What other typographical niceties besides hyphenation (which you can get with KF8 by adding soft hyphens)? One missing typographical nicety missing is reducing the line spacing in KFX. It's fixed.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What other typographical niceties besides hyphenation (which you can get with KF8 by adding soft hyphens)? One missing typographical nicety missing is reducing the line spacing in KFX. It's fixed.
Frankly I don't know what other niceties, as I don't use KFX.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Frankly I don't know what other niceties, as I don't use KFX.
Then why mention it if you don't know if it actually exists?
Old 07-06-2022, 04:55 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then why mention it if you don't know if it actually exists?
Why not? They might.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
KFX support kerning. AZW3 doesn't.

But most people probably won't see the difference.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote